Kolton Miller, OT UCLA -- Raiders' 1st Selection 15th Overall

Trojan

24 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

huh?

I don't know for sure but I would guess LT if Penn can't go since that is where he played in college. It's about getting the best 5 ready IMO.

Somehow I don’t think penn will be ready health wise and I’m gonna root for Kolt seavers to be ready to go at lt for us. 

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Kolton was the week one starter at LT and this has nothing to do with the Penn drama. 

I think Penn still has a lot left in the tank and can beat out a top ranked rookie for at least half the season, if not the entire season. As long as he's healthy. Very few LT's can step into the league and be great from day one. Caveat, if Penn is healthy I'm thinking he plays at the same level he played at 2 years ago.  

14 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Just realized  Kolton Miller went to the high school 10 minutes away from where I live.  I'm fully on board with the pick now he's going to be a stud ?

You live very near where I spent a portion of my childhood and early adult life.

It's always nice having local products making the league, let alone your favorite team. We have two in Vanderdoes and Miller.

• Like 1

Is anyone else pumped about the news of keeping him at LT? Initially I was all about him being our RT day one, but keeping him at one position, keeping things simple and learning from a very good pro in Penn is EXACTLY what he needs. Most people didn't think he was a day-one starter and allowing him to learn the ropes for one year/half a season is incredible for him imo.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Is anyone else pumped about the news of keeping him at LT? Initially I was all about him being our RT day one, but keeping him at one position, keeping things simple and learning from a very good pro in Penn is EXACTLY what he needs. Most people didn't think he was a day-one starter and allowing him to learn the ropes for one year/half a season is incredible for him imo.

It just mini camp. Things could change.

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

To me it signals that Penn may not be in the plans. If you drafted him and Penn is your LT, then why not let him learn the RT spot starting out? Curious if anything to see how it unfolds. 

Sitting your round 1 pick when you have some many needs for an immediate starter also is a gut punch. TC will be fun this offseason. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

To me it signals that Penn may not be in the plans. If you drafted him and Penn is your LT, then why not let him learn the RT spot starting out? Curious if anything to see how it unfolds. 

Sitting your round 1 pick when you have some many needs for an immediate starter also is a gut punch. TC will be fun this offseason. 

I don't think it signals that at all. Penn just isn't healthy and they clearly like Miller on the blindside more than Parker at the moment but like the coaches and the players have said this is how they are rolling now (in mini camp) and it may change later due to any # of factors.

I think trying to put meaning on this is pretty foolish as we are so far from even camp.

59 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I don't think it signals that at all. Penn just isn't healthy and they clearly like Miller on the blindside more than Parker at the moment but like the coaches and the players have said this is how they are rolling now (in mini camp) and it may change later due to any # of factors.

I think trying to put meaning on this is pretty foolish as we are so far from even camp.

I agree.  I'm as skeptic as @big_palooka when it comes to good ole Kolton but I don't really make anything of this.  I'm not even sure its worth tripping over if its more of the same in training camp.  Whatever the best move is for him developing. We're stuck with him so whatever is best for him is best for every one.

6 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Watched UCLA vs usc and was impressed with kolt 

Yeah. I've watched most of his games now and I feel a little bit better about the pick. I would say most of his games fall into a few categories. Sometimes he is just plain bad. He looks unbalanced and too defensive. Slow to use his hands and lacking aggression and giving defenders too much time. Sometimes he looks ugly, but he kinda gets the job done and then he has a few good games where he seems in control and balanced in pass pro and active and aggressive against the run.

The thing that I came away feeling is that developing his mentality is going to be important as well as improving his technique. The physical pieces and some of the skills are there, but to unlock his potential he has to be aggressive and on the front foot. Too many times he looks passive and almost apprehensive to attack the defender. Hopefully working next to KO can give him a bit of nasty. 

Really interested to see how he develops and I think he is so polarising because genuinely nobody has any clue how good or bad he's gonna be.