Kolton Miller, OT UCLA -- Raiders' 1st Selection 15th Overall

Trojan

8 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I'm not quite sure what you are saying.  I just clearly stated that I think Miller should be the starter at RT this year.  Miller will slide over to LT when Penn's contract is up and he turns 36 next season. 

Miler has played both Tackle positions at UCLA and starting him at RT and getting him NFL game experience will be critical for his development.  I will preface this statement with my hope that he wins the RT position because he is the best player at the position and not because he was a 1st round pick.  I find it hard to believe that he wont be the best option at RT knowing how terrible our RT has been over the last number of years.  

I agree with this, would love for him and Parker to have a legitimate battle for RT. Competition breeds success, it would bring out the best in each of the rooks. This applies, if Penn is healthy and can perform at a high level, if not, throw MIller in at LT and hopefully we wont have to worry about the position for the next 10 years.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

2nd year in according to what I found 2 sacks and 2 penalties soo far. How much credit is it quick passes, or the Cable guy or the offseason GO ! (I’ll eat crow I thought He sucked fierce) 

I still don't think Cable gets much credit here.

Yeah I give Cable very veryyy little credit for our O Line this year. We have 5 pure monsters in Kolton, Richie, Hudson, Gabe, and Brown. 

Kolton has improved immensely this year. He looks wayyy stronger and more comfortable overall. Hats off to Kolton. 

Richie is the best guard in the game according to PFF. 

Hudson has been a Top 3 C every season since his days with the Chiefs dating back to 2013 or so. And this season he is the best center. He’s like a fine wine, better with age. 

Trent Brown obviously best RT the NFL has seen in ages.

Gabe is actually our weak link now but he is still an above-average guard. Certainly not bad by any means.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah I give Cable very veryyy little credit for our O Line this year. We have 5 pure monsters in Kolton, Richie, Hudson, Gabe, and Brown. 

Kolton has improved immensely this year. He looks wayyy stronger and more comfortable overall. Hats off to Kolton. 

Richie is the best guard in the game according to PFF. 

Hudson has been a Top 3 C every season since his days with the Chiefs dating back to 2013 or so. And this season he is the best center. He’s like a fine wine, better with age. 

Trent Brown obviously best RT the NFL has seen in ages.

Gabe is actually our weak link now but he is still an above-average guard. Certainly not bad by any means.  

I'm waiting to see the full OL against Houston this week. Very excited tbh.

Miller’s weight gain helped tremendously and he was already a good athlete so progress made. Barring injury he should step up even more next year. Adjusts to having size and gets more athletic. Anybody who’s purposely put on weight quick knows it takes time for the body to adjust/adapt but it does and that thickness stays when getting in shape. Bulk, shred/shape up. Bulk and shred again. By 5th year option Miller should cost more than Brown if all goes well.

PS I think it’s Carr’s quick release more than anything and made Penn a probowler, so I expect that out of Miller in season 3

So everyone destroyed Kolton on this forum last season and destroyed Gruden. 

Can we please please wait until like Game 5 of next season to start opinions on Ferrell? All the bashing on Ferrell is getting ridiculous. He’s a rookie. Let it go. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Can we please please wait until like Game 5 of next season to start opinions on Ferrell? All the bashing on Ferrell is getting ridiculous. He’s a rookie. Let it go. 

If I remember correctly most did not bash Miller directly once we knew about the injury.  It had more to do again with who was available when we picked him (Derwin James).  Same as Ferrell.  Most believe he is not worth the #4 when Allen and White where there.  Miller and Ferrell have ceilings of Lane Johnson and Graham respectively.  Reaching that level would be great but there were players with much higher ceilings when we picked.  So we will always compare them to those that we could have had.  Miller played really bad but I think Cable was blamed more because the entire line sucked.  The real argument I think is do we owe Cable an apology or is it too early?

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

If I remember correctly most did not bash Miller directly once we knew about the injury.  It had more to do again with who was available when we picked him (Derwin James).  Same as Ferrell.  Most believe he is not worth the #4 when Allen and White where there.  Miller and Ferrell have ceilings of Lane Johnson and Graham respectively.  Reaching that level would be great but there were players with much higher ceilings when we picked.  So we will always compare them to those that we could have had.  Miller played really bad but I think Cable was blamed more because the entire line sucked.  The real argument I think is do we owe Cable an apology or is it too early?

Cable is still terrible. Any OL coaches flaws gets masked by this line. That’s the sad part of having a great line, Cable is probably retained. With reward comes consequence. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Meh..before his injury last year, Miller at least showed flashes. He shut down top 5 pick Bradley Chubb and had a few other solid showings before the injury. And everyone knew he was a raw potential upside pick.

With Ferrell, he was viewed as a plug and play pro ready player. 4 year starter on the top college team in the nation. And he has shown little to nothing so far. I'm not asking for him to be Nick Bosa, because he's not half as talented as him. But I at least want to see a pulse out of the guy as a top 5 pick. I watched the Titans rookie, Jeffrey Simmons, who tore his ACL earlier this year and was just activated come in his first NFL game and make plays. Ferrell looks like JAG right now

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Meh..before his injury last year, Miller at least showed flashes. He shut down top 5 pick Bradley Chubb and had a few other solid showings before the injury. And everyone knew he was a raw potential upside pick.

With Ferrell, he was viewed as a plug and play pro ready player. 4 year starter on the top college team in the nation. And he has shown little to nothing so far. I'm not asking for him to be Nick Bosa, because he's not half as talented as him. But I at least want to see a pulse out of the guy as a top 5 pick. I watched the Titans rookie, Jeffrey Simmons, who tore his ACL earlier this year and was just activated come in his first NFL game and make plays. Ferrell looks like JAG right now

Meh I was’t expecting much from Ferrell this year, he’s the type who needs a year. I said he’ll usually be a 7-8 sack guy with elite run defense. But his rookie year I said 4-5 sacks with good not great run defense. 

I expected him to be a bit better than he has showed but I’m really not overly concerned.