Kolton Miller, OT UCLA -- Raiders' 1st Selection 15th Overall

Trojan

5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Disappointed with the pick and with what they got in return to trade down. You let someone trade up to draft their franchise QB and you get a 3rd. Oakland did the Cardinals a huge favor. 

Only positive I see is that Miller will be surrounded that elite level talent. Don't get why you invest in an OT when you've already spent so much money on it already. 

You draft an OT to upgrade the position and to save 5-6 million when Penn is cut.

2 hours ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Not true and actually the opposite.  The Vic Tafur (who is seemingly really well connected into this staff/FO this draft) article in the Athletic said the following:

1. Apparently we had two different draft boards (I'm assuming one was Reggie and the scouts and the other was Gruden and his staffs)

2. We didn't do any mock drafts before the draft like almost every other team does

3. Our 1st option was Roquan Smith

4. Our 2nd option was either Mike McGlinchey or Derwin James, with the coaches wanting McGlinchey and Reggie + scouts wanting Derwin.  

5. Once McGlinchey was gone the coaching staff wanted Kolton Miller and Reggie + the scouts wanted Derwin James. Obviously Gruden + Cable won out.

This whole situation seems pretty toxic to be honest and we looked incredibly unprepared + disorganized. 

The Raiders were never going to draft a safety this high in the draft after drafting  Joseph in the first two years ago, and Obi in the second last year.

51 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The Raiders were never going to draft a safety this high in the draft after drafting  Joseph in the first two years ago, and Obi in the second last year.

Yea I would have been upset to use that much draft capital yet again on safety. Not picking him at 10 I liked so at 15 I'm not upset about that.

What does suck is that it seems like this was a reach for need. He needs to start right away and succeed for this to make any sense. I'm not confident. Don't care that Pats wanted him, they reached on their pick as well. 

Was hyped about Bryant trade until I realized he has 1 year left on his contract. Unlikely we pay him next year.

Draft a project for the long run and then trade draft capital for win-now...this team can't make up its mind.

Carr needs to have MVP caliber year for these moves to be justified. And even then our defense is garbage. Looking forward to that 2nd round pick being a RB...9_9

33 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Yea I would have been upset to use that much draft capital yet again on safety. Not picking him at 10 I liked so at 15 I'm not upset about that.

What does suck is that it seems like this was a reach for need. He needs to start right away and succeed for this to make any sense. I'm not confident. Don't care that Pats wanted him, they reached on their pick as well. 

Was hyped about Bryant trade until I realized he has 1 year left on his contract. Unlikely we pay him next year.

Draft a project for the long run and then trade draft capital for win-now...this team can't make up its mind.

Carr needs to have MVP caliber year for these moves to be justified. And even then our defense is garbage. Looking forward to that 2nd round pick being a RB...9_9

They are always reaching in the draft.

Every team that drafted a QB reached plus

Washington, New England,  Cincinnati, Detroit and Seattle.

People get confused between best player available as a whole and best player available for this team.( which is how teams draft)

People assume there’s one master list of BPA but every team customize their list to their needs. 

• Like 1

Well after reading these post I think I see what happened. Gru want OT or bust. He already told Reg to get Bryant. A third is the best deal Reg could swing for Bryant. When Reg got calls on the trade he took the one that involved a third. I honestly hope we are all way off base. Gru is a game day master. But if this is his draft style its gonna be a long decade.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Just trying to be the devil's advocate here:

It is a nice soundbit to call the guy not a first rounder, but every mock draft from the 11 media 'experts' on nfl.com had Miller in the 1st round, ranging from 17 to 31 with an average of 23rd

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/mock-drafts

People are acting like this pick doesn't make sense, and we reached for a 2nd-3rd round guy. I don't see it that way, i can see the logic to want to protect your franchise QB and he clearly was considered a 1st round guy. We have a franchise QB, but no RT and a 35 year old LT coming of a foot injury, and we just drafted an OT 15th overall who was unanimiously expected to go in the first around ~23. I can also see why protecting your QB is considered a priority/premium compared to alternative positions of need. That doesn't seem that strange to me.

That doesn't mean i'm happy with the pick, both the value of the trade down as well as the spot where we picked Miller were not optimal. But apparently there wasnt much competition for Arizona (i mean with competition you should be able to land a 2nd round pick), and our management apparently felt it was to much of a risk to trade down again in the 20's and might see Miller gone.

Edited by Roninho
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Except if the GM had his way, they would have. Because Jospeh is JAG and Obi can't get on the field. James would have been a leader and difference maker day 1. He's going to elevate that chargers defense to a new level.

Only thing that makes that James pick sting less is if Miller becomes a franchise LT. 

A lot of sky is falling talk in here (OT is a boring pick, I get it), but I'm going to try to spin it into a positive.

The dude only allowed two sacks in 579 snaps, (per PFF), during his first season at LT. Is he raw? Sure he is, but his measureables are out of the park good (borderline all pro according to analytics), and his inexperience may make him more pliable (the longer someone does something the wrong way, the less likely it is that he can fix it). Watching UCLA games he was basically invisible, in a GOOD WAY! He quietly did what was asked of him and did a pretty damn good job at it. Will he be ready to start right now? Who knows.. But I can guarantee he would've been the next OT off of the board and definitely wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round.

Did you honestly think the Raiders would draft a DB in the 1st after Joseph and Melifonwu last year and adding Melvin, and Gilchrist in FA? 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NickButera said:

I agree. But that's the point. 

It's interesting to see that Reggie and Gruden really truly are working together.  This doesn't scream power struggle to me. 

I think the better point is if this is indeed a product of them working together, maybe there needs to be a power struggle?

I guess the way I look at it is we only had 3 potential weak spots on offense RT, WR, and RB.  2 of 3 were addressed with our 1st round pick.  Only time will tell if either player pans out.  However, that is every single drafted player every year lol.  There is no "safe" picks people.  Remember Robert Gallery? How about Rolando McClain?

I'm lukewarm on the pick and trade, but it has effectively set us up to draft defense the rest of the way.  We can still grab a RB if the right one is available.  We still have 11 picks left and I could see some picks being packaged together to move up if we are targeting specific players. 

• Like 3