Kolton Miller, OT UCLA -- Raiders' 1st Selection 15th Overall

Trojan

24 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I'm trying to be optimistic. I watched the Stanford game last night and came away thoroughly  unimpressed. He looked like a oversized care bear . 

Will watch more games to try to see what they like about him

Lookedquickly at the stanfordgame, and maybe i missed it but dont think i saw him getting beat in pass pro one on one and getting the qb in trouble. Saw a missedblitzpick up. 

4 hours ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

I was telling the poster to watch the tape themselves and form their own opinion, not rely on mine.

Didn’t want to quote the post with the videos, so I quoted this. I formed my opinion on him watching the same videos you did. I’ll admit, I’m not a scout, don’t know the nitty gritty details of why one OT goes in the first, and one goes into the second. I just go off of what my eyes and instincts tell me. Maybe you can enlighten me on what those details are and I’ll be a better evaluator because of it.

The first thing I do when watching the OL is count the the QBs time to throw. Average snap to throw time in the NFL is something like 2.75 seconds. So if the QB has to move, gets hit, or can clearly feel pressure in 3 seconds from the snap, I blame it on the OT. If a hit/sack happens after 3 seconds I blame it on the QB. Just rewatched the entire Stanford clip again, and I counted a whopping TWO plays where Miller’s guy got past him in less than 3 seconds. One was where the rusher lined way outside of his shoulder and got around him, the other was a well executed blitz that drove him inside as the other rusher stunted out. Neither of these plays resulted in a sack. A definite majority of plays ended with Millers hands still on the his guys chest, the defender not even coming close to collapsing the pocket. In my eyes, Miller had a very good game against Stanford. That said, the right side was definitely not helping, almost every time Rosen flushed the pocket it was pressure from the right side. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Every rookie coming into the league needs to be coached up.

Already addressed this and you are missing my point. You don't draft a project at 15 overall you need to coach up/develop. 

Yes, every player needs coached up and developed. But some less than others. Miller is a classic boom or bust project.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Already addressed this and you are missing my point. You don't draft a project at 15 overall you need to coach up/develop. 

Yes, every player needs coached up and developed. But some less than others. Miller is a classic boom or bust project.

No I'm not missing your point. You don't like how much you believe he has to develop to be successful IYO. Got it. 

Edited by NightTrainLane

WELCOME to the Raiders Mr. Miller. Now with that said, I want to vent...LOL

He's a REACH because it's a weak Tackle class. All the posters who say the 'pros' have more tape, info etc, all I say is why do the 'pros' draft so many busts then? I'd bet a fans 'success' ratio is almost as good as the pros. I wanted James, especially when he was still there after we traded down. I'm really surprised we didn't trade for Veldheer if Miller was an early target. I'm not a fan of Tackles over 6'7 but one I HOPE he becomes like is Ogden. I think the plan is to have the edges covered with Miller/Parker and then we'll strart replacing the interior because of $$$.

I wish success for Miller and hope he becomes a solid LT or pro bowl RT.

First of all...this dude is huge! 6’9?? I had no idea we had Sir Gregor as the LTotF. Secondly i agree that the Raiders reached. I personally liked James but i get it, there’s a lot of bodies in the secondary that have high picks already. No one really knows what they have in Obi Joseph and Conely. James would have been a great alpha dog. But then i remembered that the Raiders play against some of the best pass rushers in the NFL 6x a year. The Raiders know what life without Carr looks like. It’s terrifying and as many say “The Raiders will go as goat as Carr takes them”. Miller may not be worth his spot now but if he pans out then Raiders won’t need to worry too much at who is rushing them. 

To quote the legendary Tarken, “We are taking a great risk, you’d better be right.”