Kolton Miller, OT UCLA -- Raiders' 1st Selection 15th Overall

Trojan

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

If I remember correctly most did not bash Miller directly once we knew about the injury.  It had more to do again with who was available when we picked him (Derwin James).  Same as Ferrell.  Most believe he is not worth the #4 when Allen and White where there.  Miller and Ferrell have ceilings of Lane Johnson and Graham respectively.  Reaching that level would be great but there were players with much higher ceilings when we picked.  So we will always compare them to those that we could have had.  Miller played really bad but I think Cable was blamed more because the entire line sucked.  The real argument I think is do we owe Cable an apology or is it too early?

Thats not how i remember. My own take during this offseason was that i wanted us to go BPA in the draft this year so that we wouldnt end up with a ok player at a position of need like Kolton over BPA and miss out on a a true difference maker like Derwin James or Vanderesch.

Based on this season i must change my stance, Kolton certainly isn't just 'ok' anymore.

3 hours ago, Roninho said:

Thats not how i remember. My own take during this offseason was that i wanted us to go BPA in the draft this year so that we wouldnt end up with a ok player at a position of need like Kolton over BPA and miss out on a a true difference maker like Derwin James or Vanderesch.

Based on this season i must change my stance, Kolton certainly isn't just 'ok' anymore.

That was the other point of my response.  When we drafted him people were angry about James being there as the BPA.  We all knew we needed a T but wanted to go BPA in the first.  We also talked crap about how poorly he played given Cable's coaching and most gave him a pass when we found out about the knee.

10 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Meh..before his injury last year, Miller at least showed flashes. He shut down top 5 pick Bradley Chubb and had a few other solid showings before the injury. And everyone knew he was a raw potential upside pick.

With Ferrell, he was viewed as a plug and play pro ready player. 4 year starter on the top college team in the nation. And he has shown little to nothing so far. I'm not asking for him to be Nick Bosa, because he's not half as talented as him. But I at least want to see a pulse out of the guy as a top 5 pick. I watched the Titans rookie, Jeffrey Simmons, who tore his ACL earlier this year and was just activated come in his first NFL game and make plays. Ferrell looks like JAG right now

Crosby a 4th round pick has flashed more than Ferrell