Kolton Miller, OT UCLA -- Raiders' 1st Selection 15th Overall

Trojan

25 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think you are getting tweener and versatile confused. James can play both S positions as well as OLB in certain packages. 

James should play Will. He's not that elite talent at safety he was hyped to be and he went at #17 for a reason. I don't like our pick but not because we passed on James. I don't like it because i don't see Miller becoming a top tackle. I'd have gone with Edmunds at #15.

3 hours ago, Roninho said:

Just trying to be the devil's advocate here:

It is a nice soundbit to call the guy not a first rounder, but every mock draft from the 11 media 'experts' on nfl.com had Miller in the 1st round, ranging from 17 to 31 with an average of 23rd

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/mock-drafts

People are acting like this pick doesn't make sense, and we reached for a 2nd-3rd round guy. I don't see it that way, i can see the logic to want to protect your franchise QB and he clearly was considered a 1st round guy. We have a franchise QB, but no RT and a 35 year old LT coming of a foot injury, and we just drafted an OT 15th overall who was unanimiously expected to go in the first around ~23. I can also see why protecting your QB is considered a priority/premium compared to alternative positions of need. That doesn't seem that strange to me.

That doesn't mean i'm happy with the pick, both the value of the trade down as well as the spot where we picked Miller were not optimal. But apparently there wasnt much competition for Arizona (i mean with competition you should be able to land a 2nd round pick), and our management apparently felt it was to much of a risk to trade down again in the 20's and might see Miller gone.

Why don’t you actually watch him play and then form your own opinion?  He has a bunch of cut ups on YouTube.  I’ve watched about 5 of them over the last few months and gave him a 3rd round grade.

1 hour ago, Mr Bob Dobalina said:

So Tom Cable is  Calling the shots now?

Cable is a great Oline coach if he thinks the Raiders can’t win with the scrubs they have at OT what are you supposed to do just hope for the best.

Edited by Bitty 2.0

1 hour ago, raiders4life said:

A lot of sky is falling talk in here (OT is a boring pick, I get it), but I'm going to try to spin it into a positive.

The dude only allowed two sacks in 579 snaps, (per PFF), during his first season at LT. Is he raw? Sure he is, but his measureables are out of the park good (borderline all pro according to analytics), and his inexperience may make him more pliable (the longer someone does something the wrong way, the less likely it is that he can fix it). Watching UCLA games he was basically invisible, in a GOOD WAY! He quietly did what was asked of him and did a pretty damn good job at it. Will he be ready to start right now? Who knows.. But I can guarantee he would've been the next OT off of the board and definitely wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round.

Did you honestly think the Raiders would draft a DB in the 1st after Joseph and Melifonwu last year and adding Melvin, and Gilchrist in FA? 

Please watch his cut ups on YouTube.  He consistently gives up pressures and I not “invisible” at all.  He has potential but he’s not good at blocking other people right now.

Just now, Chwf3rd25 said:

Please watch his cut ups on YouTube.  He consistently gives up pressures and I not “invisible” at all.  He has potential but he’s not good at blocking other people right now.

Pretty sure the coaches and scouts have that tape plus all the tape there is.

22 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I have a buddy who was involved with training the UCLA Football team and he reached out to me after seeing us draft him. He said Kolton is an awesome dude who works extremely hard. At least we know he isn't a lazy dirtbag. 

Yea my oline coaching resource group that I followed trained him and raves about him and cable 

7 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Why don’t you actually watch him play and then form your own opinion?  He has a bunch of cut ups on YouTube.  I’ve watched about 5 of them over the last few months and gave him a 3rd round grade.

I have my opinions on what are the strengths and weaknesses of our team, and also about what is good or bad value in trading draft picks, as well as reaching based on when players are expected to be picked. But i don't think or pretend i can evaluate and compare college talent based on some youtube clips.

Just now, Roninho said:

I have my opinions on what are the strengths and weaknesses of our team, and also about what is good or bad value in trading draft picks, as well as reaching based on when players are expected to be picked. But i don't think or pretend i can evaluate and compare college talent based on some youtube clips.

Not “some YouTube” clips.  They cut it up to where you can watch him on every single play of the games.  

9 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

So? We shouldn’t form an opinion as to any of the players because they’re the experts?  What a terrible idea.

I didn't say that at all. Only pointing out that their opinion holds a bit more weight than someone that watches a few cutups or a few games. They have all his college and high school snaps (most of the time) plus they have sat down with the player, worked him out, reviewed his medicals and checked his background.

5 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Not “some YouTube” clips.  They cut it up to where you can watch him on every single play of the games.  

It's not about the clips. It's about that i don't pretend i am capable of doing realistic evaluation of talent

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I didn't say that at all. Only pointing out that their opinion holds a bit more weight than someone that watches a few cutups or a few games. They have all his college and high school snaps (most of the time) plus they have sat down with the player, worked him out, reviewed his medicals and checked his background.

I was telling the poster to watch the tape themselves and form their own opinion, not rely on mine.