Round 1, Pick 20: Frank Ragnow

Superduperman

This is what I've come to expect from Quinn. 

Solid pick, not flashy, with a really good chance to be a solid player. Not a bad route to go with your first rounder.

Hopefully he can hit on a couple of Day 2 and Day 3 guys this year. 

54 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Solid pick, not flashy, with a really good chance to be a solid player. Not a bad route to go with your first rounder.

And barring injury the offensive line is potentially set for multiple years.

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

Given that about 50% of 1st round picks wind up as busts, it's probably not a bad strategy. Build up the roster with safe picks, protect your biggest asset (QB) in the process and have guys that will actually make it to their next contract/be on the team at that time.

I was definitely shocked and it's not a flashy pick. However, I get the logic and it was mentioned that the Bengals had their eye on Ragnow as well. We'll see what Day 2 brings us.

10 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Wrong

No it's not.

You just lack vision. 

* I've have confidence in this selection, Bob Quinn over his time here has actually drafted really well along the offensive line. Really the people that are upset about this pick are mad it's not at DL player or RB.

3 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

No it's not.

You just lack vision. 

* I've have confidence in this selection, Bob Quinn over his time here has actually drafted really well along the offensive line. Really the people that are upset about this pick are mad it's not at DL player or RB.

Also, Ragnow was my 4th rated IOL. I wouldn't have minded Ragnow if we had moved back and added picks. He's a good player. I don't think he was the best player available, especially if we try to move him to guard as has been suggested. 

7 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Sigh. I'm starting g to think Quinn is just a ***** when it comes to 1st round picks. He's so afraid to swing that bat of his in the war room. He is content going for singles or doubles. I think a trade down was possible (titans) and he still could have gotten him or an similar value player. This really limits our draft board for the next couple of rounds. Unless this guy is the next Travis Fredrick this was a mistake in my opinion. 

You should be content with that. Its his job to hit the pick and consistently load up our roster with legit first round talents. We are going to get 3000+ snaps from his first rounders next year homey

It was earlier than I expected for Ragnow also. I kept pegging him a 2nd round player. I not mad, they picked him over guys I would of selected too but it's not the worst they could of done. Better than Ridley/1st round TE.

Guice and Chubb are still on the board and either or would make me really like this draft. Mo Hurst still hanging around too. I would be happy with Ragnow/Hurst.

6 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

You should be content with that. Its his job to hit the pick and consistently load up our roster with legit first round talents. We are going to get 3000+ snaps from his first rounders next year homey

Quinn also hit a homerun with Taylor Decker year 1. Most Tackles don't come in and hold down the LT spot like he did his rookie season. I kind of hang Quinns hat on that selection alone. Jury is still out of Davis a bit...

He mentioned he better be Fredrick like good which, honestly, I personally think he is. Doesn't mean he is but that's why I'm not very upset with the selection. If you think he's just average starter, well, ok yeah, I really understand why people are mad then.

13 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Don't love it, don't hate it. 

My biggest complaint is that IOL is really deep this year, and there's only a few guys on the DL that I think will probably be impactful.

Same. I don't hate the player or even the position, just the value. If we can get solid DL help in this draft, it'll end up okay for me. 

12 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I knew he was moving up boards but was surprised (not shocked) they took him. Hey, still liked the pick.

Having looked closer today this was a smart pick, of a great, versatile, player. 

This pick feels very similar to the Davis pick last year. It addresses a need with a solid player. It's not a sexy pick but will be a solid piece on the team for a long time.

Archived