Round 1, Pick 20: Frank Ragnow

Superduperman

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Quinn also hit a homerun with Taylor Decker year 1. Most Tackles don't come in and hold down the LT spot like he did his rookie season. I kind of hang Quinns hat on that selection alone. Jury is still out of Davis a bit...

He mentioned he better be Fredrick like good which, honestly, I personally think he is. Doesn't mean he is but that's why I'm not very upset with the selection. If you think he's just average starter, well, ok yeah, I really understand why people are mad then.

I like the player. I loved Frederick when he came out. I only like Ragnow. I just think it limits our board in the second. With a deep Interior ol class and a deep RB you had a chance to go into today and still take whoever is there and get value. Now you have to almost wipe the board of the OL. I also think we could have traded down and still got a good starter at the same position and having Glasgow offers he position flex that we could have got either C or a OG and would have gotten a quality starter. 

Oh well he's a Lion now hope he's good. Can't wait for today's picks. 

11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This pick feels very similar to the Davis pick last year. It addresses a need with a solid player. It's not a sexy pick but will be a solid piece on the team for a long time.

Very much but I think Ragnow is going to play at a higher level. It’s easy for me to like the pick I’m a huge believer in building from the line back so this is not only philosophically in line with my beliefs but now the I’ve properly researched Ragnow I love the player.

5 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Very much but I think Ragnow is going to play at a higher level. It’s easy for me to like the pick I’m a huge believer in building from the line back so this is not only philosophically in line with my beliefs but now the I’ve properly researched Ragnow I love the player.

He could definitely have more of an immediate and even long term impact than Davis. It's just that he is different than what I would have liked/preferred however it makes a lot of sense when you step back and look at it.

Love this pick or better worded the position of this pick.  I have always liked an inside out approach.  A great OL will make an average rb look great.  A average OL will make a great rb look average.  I've thought we needed a stud Center for years.  Hopefully this is the guy.  I too would have preferred DL help, but I'm not going to be upset with a hoss on either side of the line.  I wouldn't mind seeing Tim Settle type pick in round 2.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

He could definitely have more of an immediate and even long term impact than Davis. It's just that he is different than what I would have liked/preferred however it makes a lot of sense when you step back and look at it.

Apparently Bengals, Pats and Vikings all had their eye on (Ragnow) for their pick. If that helps anyone who is having trouble with it.

18 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

If they are moving Glasgow to center, Ragnow wasn't a need. I would have preferred a real guard, like Wynn or Hernandez. Instead, we are going to have him switch positions. What a waste. 

Ragnow plays both center and guard. Glasgow plays both center and guard. They will play whichever is the best combination. Nobody is "switching positions". They've both proven their ability to play at both spots so it won't matter. 

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

Ragnow plays both center and guard. Glasgow plays both center and guard. They will play whichever is the best combination. Nobody is "switching positions". They've both proven their ability to play at both spots so it won't matter. 

So, you like the pick?

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

So, you like the pick?

Yeah, he's a good player. If you only watch the A&M and Alabama games you might think he's a top 10 kind of guy even at center. He isn't perfect but if they plan to run more power he's a great fit. He would be the nastiest OL in most classes, but Quenton Nelson takes that title this year. Versatile guy, was well coached at Arkansas, coaches rave about his mental understanding of the game. Could be a damn good player. Some compare him to Frederick. I can see parts of that comparison. Ragnow is more athletic though, kinda similar to Alex Mack in that regard.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived