Patriots 1(23): Isaiah Wynn, OL, Georgia

dhunt2402

I think Frank Ragnow was the preferred guy at 23 because of his length and proven versatility as a center, (never gave up a sack... over 2400 snaps). BUT, Wynn is an All Pro caliber left guard and fringe Pro Bowl caliber left tackle in the NFL. Not a bad alternative to an area that was ln't well supported in 2017 by Joe Thuney. I think Waddle, Wynn, Garcia, and Even Marcus Cannon all play snaps at left tackle in 2018 with Waddle and Garcia the mainstays.

The more I watch of him the more I like him.  He looks very technically sound,  well coached,  and moves very well. I think he might be a day 1 starter at LG if they go that route. Wouldn't mind seeing opening day lineup with him at LG. 

I don't know how well he'll do at OT but he has the foot work and his arms are right length for OT.

57 minutes ago, Donut said:

The more I watch of him the more I like him.  He looks very technically sound,  well coached,  and moves very well. I think he might be a day 1 starter at LG if they go that route. Wouldn't mind seeing opening day lineup with him at LG. 

I don't know how well he'll do at OT but he has the foot work and his arms are right length for OT.

Absolutely the shoe in starter for LG. Not even a question in my mind about that. Can play LT but it'll be balanced between Waddle and Garcia. Wynn could fill in occasionally as well when need be.

I didn't see any Georgia games last year, but the way he manhandled DL in the Senior Bowl was a thing to watch. He is strong af and has really good movement skills; I wouldn't mind them giving him a run at OT.

I truly don't understand this pick in light of the Trent Brown trade. Brown is, as far as I know, purely a RT. If Wynn is going to be the starting LT, where does that leave Cannon (cutting whom would be a considerable cap hit and negative savings)? If they're planning to shift either Brown or Cannon to LT (which is risky in and of itself), and kick Wynn inside, what would be the point of that? Thuney had some struggles at times last year but he's still a very good player overall and Mason has blossomed into one of the top guards in the league. 

Basically, I don't understand this team's plan for the OL.

5 minutes ago, Starless said:

I truly don't understand this pick in light of the Trent Brown trade. Brown is, as far as I know, purely a RT. If Wynn is going to be the starting LT, where does that leave Cannon (cutting whom would be a considerable cap hit and negative savings)? If they're planning to shift either Brown or Cannon to LT (which is risky in and of itself), and kick Wynn inside, what would be the point of that? Thuney had some struggles at times last year but he's still a very good player overall and Mason has blossomed into one of the top guards in the league. 

Shaq Mason is moving to RB obviously and it's going to be glorious.

Michel is just a smoke screen.

9 minutes ago, Starless said:

Brown isn’t a sure thing right now. Cannon is oft injured. Garcia has a lot to prove. Waddle has always been depth. There are lots of questions. 

Worse case scenario, Wynn upgrades over Thuney and allows NE to be frugal with Shaq in contract negotiations next season (Brown is also on a one year deal).

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Brown isn’t a sure thing right now. Cannon is oft injured. Garcia has a lot to prove. Waddle has always been depth. There are lots of questions. 

Worse case scenario, Wynn upgrades over Thuney and allows NE to be frugal with Shaq in contract negotiations next season (Brown is also on a one year deal).

"Brown isn't a sure thing right now"
He's been one of the best RTs in the league the last couple of years but has never played LT. You're basically adding strength to strength. 

14 minutes ago, Starless said:

"Brown isn't a sure thing right now"
He's been one of the best RTs in the league the last couple of years but has never played LT. You're basically adding strength to strength. 

You’d call an overweight player coming off injury a sure thing?

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Maybe we'll find out next week that Cannon is retiring and this will all make sense. But for the moment I'm baffled.

He could be traded. He seems highly regarded around the league, they could sell high. On the flip, every off-season when we collect OL, confusion abounds about where they will line up but it always seems to work out very nicely. Not going to bother wondering

15 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

He could be traded. He seems highly regarded around the league, they could sell high. On the flip, every off-season when we collect OL, confusion abounds about where they will line up but it always seems to work out very nicely. Not going to bother wondering

Possible, but much more likely after June 1st. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Archived