Patriots 1(23): Isaiah Wynn, OL, Georgia

dhunt2402

On 4/27/2018 at 3:34 PM, Starless said:

"Brown isn't a sure thing right now"
He's been one of the best RTs in the league the last couple of years but has never played LT. You're basically adding strength to strength. 

49er fans seem to think Brown could play left tackle and that he was successful when filling in there in the past. 

I saw a picture of the Patriot's depth chart leaked (from the draft room videos) and Wynn was listed as a LT. So I think there plan is:

Wynn-- Thuney-- Andrews-- Mason-- Cannon

Try Wynn out at LT to start. Cannon and Brown will fight for the RT spot. Cannon has his injury concerns and Brown is reportedly overweight; I think those two will battle it out for the RT spot. Waddle...pretty much the same role as last year; swing tackle +depth. If Wynn struggles at tackle, Waddle could bridge the gap for a year. I'm guessing Garcia starts the season on PUP until he gets in football shape.

Overall, it's a good problem to have. Hard to complain with this depth. Excited to see Scar work his magic.

Hi guys, been a while.

My two cents on our first round;

When it got to us and Miller, McGlinch, Evans and Ragnow all off the board, I wondered who we were going to pick. I also wonder if BB didn't just want Wynn all along - if you stand out in the SEC (and Wynn did) then you're on BB's radar. It does concern me that he's 6'2", but his production certainly didn't concern me. 5 pressures all year (McGlinch and Miller had over 20). He's the best LT in college; let's hope he translates that because I do expect him to be used initially at LT

For Michel, I'm seeing a lot of Kamara comparisons, but I don't see Kamara. I see more power and one-cut. He's a foot in the dirt and go type, and he can lower the pads. I'll never be persuaded that RB value is good enough for first round, and I would have preferred a LB here - even a reach on Warner or something. But, IBWT.

I grade our first round a B to a B+ - how good is Georgia's programme btw? Jeez. My favourite player was Vander Esch, but never a chance he fell.

The best part of the draft is that our rivals has stinkers.

-Bills reaching on Allen when Rosen was there; LOL

-Steelers reaching on Edmunds, not even the best safety available; Snigger

-Steelers picking Rudolph; how some people can not see that he's just hot garbage...

-Raiders reaching, then taking Bryant for greater draft captial than what PIT got him for in the first place; Gruden off to a mare.

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

I agree with everything @Hunter2_1 except I see Josh Allen working out for the Bills and Mason Rudolph being the guy after Roethlisberger for a little while.

Allen needs weapons and a line though. He's not the most accurate of QBs, so I don't understand why they haven't given him help as well. Maybe he sits and they look to add pieces, but they are a playoff team now.

9 hours ago, Elky said:

Fun fact: Wynn is only an inch shorter than Matt Light.

Another fun fact; despite this, he has longer arms, and in fact, has longer arms than the best LT in the league for the past 10 years. 

Just watched the Senior Bowl OL vs DL (anyone else catch this?)

Wynn comfortable all the time. Was playing a different sport. He wasn't up against the elites or anything, but his technique was flawless and he never even looked like being in trouble. Mirrors the defenders every move - always one step ahead or matching. This is how his video plays out too. Watched the Rose Bowl, and it the same story.

I'd be very surprised if a) he's kicked to G, and b) doesn't start immediately

What a pick, Bill. 

12 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Wynn comfortable all the time. Was playing a different sport. He wasn't up against the elites or anything, but his technique was flawless and he never even looked like being in trouble. Mirrors the defenders every move - always one step ahead or matching. This is how his video plays out too. Watched the Rose Bowl, and it the same story.

What a pick, Bill. 

I see him as a capable LT likely to move inside to LG at some point.

15 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What a pick, Bill. 

I think he is one of the best 10-12 players in the draft. Definitely an outstanding pick. Probably depends on the level of play and health from Garcia where Wynn starts.

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What a pick, Bill. 

Yeah his Senior Bowl performance + practices did him lots of favors. 

He’ll be the starter at LT, I hope.

Archived