Baker Mayfield, should he start?

LETSGOBROWNIES

Another reason I didn’t believe Baker would be on the radar. He’s not a guy that necessarily needed to sit for a year. Tyrod and Stanton looked way more like Darnold/Allen. 

May as well see what the ‘kid’ can do. They won’t though. Dorsey doesn’t like playing rookies, and Hueball always reverences that rookie QBs are why he can’t win. He has no cards left to play.

2 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

23 years old, hugely experienced and by many accounts on here, has top-tier football iq, accuracy and efficiency.

Put him on the field, let’s see it.

Yep. He should at least be in a competition during TC and pre-season.

9 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He should start week 8 or so

This. Give him a little time to learn from the bench and get used to NFL style offense, then get him in once we are out of contention (which will probably be around week 8)

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is roughly where I’m at right now.

I think sitting is beneficial, but he’s not that young and has a lot of experience.

We have to maximise the value from him also at 23 he has between 5-10 years of football left if he is average as a player. 

If he isn’t playing soo. He will have little value to add to the organisation.

23 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

If he can process nfl defenses yes he should start. He’s like a year and a half younger than weeden. Tick tock

LOL, I'm sure you're exaggerating but Weeden was 28 when we drafted him, going on 29. It's funny to me that some people are acting like Baker is so old at 23.

8 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Sam is 20. Baker is 23.

We could’ve sat Darnold for two years before he is where Mayfield is supposed to already be.

Even Tyrod is only five years older.

Mayfield needs to win the job, get on the field and perform quickly. He’s not a baby.

The age thing is important, I get that, but it’s getting overblown a bit as well.

21 vs 23 during their rookie seasons.  Both of these guys can easily play 15+ years if they’re actually good enough to do so.

Just like I said when we took Weeden (there’s a good omen) age isn’t going to matter a bit if he can play.

Archived