2018 Ravens 1st Round Draft Pick (#25) - Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina

drd23

26 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Would you guys say he's a better or worse blocker than Dennis Pitta? What about Jimmy Graham?

Better blocker than Pitta and Graham for sure. He’s an angle blocker, but will get in the way and hits his man with a pop. He’s not getting abused by defenders trying to set an edge. He neither wins nor loses in most cases. I’d say, as a blocker, he’s similar to Ed Dickson coming out of Oregon.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

hits his man with a pop.

I agree with you that he's a better blocker than Pitta and Graham were/are, but I wouldn't go as far to say the above.  In the 3 cut-up I watched (Arkansas, Missouri & Michigan), there were maybe 3 or 4 blocks in total that were more than just him getting in the way or using angles to block the defenders path

14 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I agree with you that he's a better blocker than Pitta and Graham were/are, but I wouldn't go as far to say the above.  In the 3 cut-up I watched (Arkansas, Missouri & Michigan), there were maybe 3 or 4 blocks in total that were more than just him getting in the way or using angles to block the defenders path

The temperament is there but not the desired effect.

11 minutes ago, drd23 said:

That's about all he did that game iirc

Eh, 3 catches. Here's another. The 3rd and long was pivotal for their victory. Michigan front overwhelmed them so much he had to stay in and block, they couldn't buy enough time to dish the ball otherwise. Eventually Bentley started rolling out from the snap to counter the pressure, resilient effort from the team and Hurst. He had a play early where he tried to adjust to a bad throw with a defender draped and it popped off I think the DBs back and got picked, he got right up and chased. Blocking isn't up to par, but he played a good game otherwise.

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

4th quarter down by 3, 3rd and 17, 2 defenders. Boldin?

Wow. The announcer in this game! ? 

“That’s a man! That’s a man! That’s a man right there!”??

14 hours ago, drd23 said:

I agree with you that he's a better blocker than Pitta and Graham were/are, but I wouldn't go as far to say the above.

Are you referring to the Oregon Ed Dickson comparison or to the comment about pop? Because honestly I think Hurst is better than Dickson was coming out of Oregon, but was just using a similar player as a reference point. The way I would rate them as blockers:

1. Quinn Sypniewski

2. Crockett Gilmore

3. Todd Heap

4. Terry Jones

5. Nick Boyle

6. Max Williams

7. Hayden Hurst

8.  Ed Dickson

9. Mark Andrews

10. Trent Smith

11. Dennis Pitta

* Cam Quayle, never watched him or remember him. He’s from before my time as a Ravens fan. Don’t even remember him on the old Madden video games.??‍♀️

** This is just a list of drafted tight ends

In terms the pop comment, pretty much like @DreamKid stated. He blocks with attitude. Vonta Leach or Ovie Mughelli deliver a pop and we’re talking either LB obliteration or they’re moving their man backwards, Kyle Juszczyk or Ed Dickson deliver a pop and they are neutralizing the target, nothing more. I’m guessing the difference of opinion is in the perception of the verbiage.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Are you referring to the Oregon Ed Dickson comparison or to the comment about pop?

The comment about pop, which is why I quoted it ;)

"Pop" in this context implies a certain forcefullness, and I just don't get that impression from what I watched.  He certainly appeared willing to block (which is more than can be said for a lot of TEs), but that was about it

Archived