With the 27th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft...

ditchdigger

Meh.

I mean Penny seems like he can be a good player, but without a 2nd round pick and still many holes on the defense? I think Seattle wanted him, and without a second round pick, figured the would take him here. IDK, Im disappointed but maybe Penny can prove us all wrong like Bruce Irvin?

Not a fan of this pick in the least. 

Im of the belief that this team can easily find a capable back in the mid-to-later rounds (see both Rawls and Carson) and we’re using premium draft capital for a kid with some serious deficiencies. 

Pros:

+ when he sees daylight, he can step on the gas and possesses home run speed 

+ big back that can withstand the rigors of 20+ carries 

+ should be effective in a one-cut zone system, good-not-great vision and the ability to get skinny through tight lanes 

+ not much mileage after only 1 season as a full-time starter 

Cons: 

- despite his size, he doesn’t run with much tenacity at all and goes down on first contact a surprising amount 

- despite home run ability, he was very tentative in actually hitting that 2nd gear and maximizing each carry 

- liability as a 3rd down back, god awful in pass pro (both physically and mentally) and below average as a receiver 

Had a thought..

When Seattle was at their best, they had Leon Washington, and then Percy Harvin (one year), then Tyler Lockett. Penny had alot of success in the return game in college.

Beyond the return game, IF Carson can come back from injury, him and Penny can offer a really nice combo. Both can catch out of the backfield, Carson can be the tough yardage guy, Penny the go to guy. If Solari can come in and improve the interior line play, IF Pocic makes the advances people think he can maybe this run game can take a huge step forward. Big IF, but well, as a fan you need to be a little hopeful.

15 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Had a thought..

When Seattle was at their best, they had Leon Washington, and then Percy Harvin (one year), then Tyler Lockett. Penny had alot of success in the return game in college.

Beyond the return game, IF Carson can come back from injury, him and Penny can offer a really nice combo. Both can catch out of the backfield, Carson can be the tough yardage guy, Penny the go to guy. If Solari can come in and improve the interior line play, IF Pocic makes the advances people think he can maybe this run game can take a huge step forward. Big IF, but well, as a fan you need to be a little hopeful.

Indeed. 

The thing that makes it easier to swallow is that every RB except Barkley was available when Penny was picked.  This was not a case of desperation or need, it was targeting a player they believe will change the franchise for the better, and exploiting a market inefficiency to add an extra asset before selecting their guy.

7 minutes ago, RandomCampBody said:

The line can't block so don't see the point in this pick.

This pick almost speaks to the inefficiencies of the OLine. A big issue last year was we didn’t have any backs that could hit the hole with authority and maximize the nanosecond of space that was cleared. Penny has excellent burst for his size so he should be able to take more advantage of those instances. 

9 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Indeed. 

The thing that makes it easier to swallow is that every RB except Barkley was available when Penny was picked.  This was not a case of desperation or need, it was targeting a player they believe will change the franchise for the better, and exploiting a market inefficiency to add an extra asset before selecting their guy.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but it sounds like Penny was guy graded to the 60s, would have been drafted in the 40s or 50s, Seattle doesnt have a pick there, couldnt find a suitable trade down, so they take the guy they wanted at 50-60 at 27. 

It can be surprising, but Seattle has been doing this since day 1 of the PCJS era.

This pick drove me nuts. I really have no clue what Seattle is trying to do at this point. Penny goes down like a sack of potatoes when a stiff breeze hits him and we had guys like Michel/Guice who are much better graded backs still available. 

Someone posted above that he is a solid receiving back and can let Carson be the feature back while he provides a suitable backup? We just took a RB in the 1st round... that RB should be 100% a feature back if that's the case. The F are you talking about with a viable option on 3rd down? 

Im optimistic about the offensive line.

Easier scheme 

Full year if Duane Brown

Fluker HAS to be an upgrade on Joke-El

Maybe wit the new scheme and consistency inside, Britt can find his 2016 form.

A full year for Pocic, can he gain the strength needed?

Then you have big competition at RT with guys that all have experience: Fant [if healthy], Ifedi, Hambone [Who improved before getting hurt], and probably a Solari guy from the draft.

IDK, maybe im just being stupid, but I dont think the pieces Seattle has on the line are as terrible as they performed last year. So much change and injuries. Stability can do alot.

2 minutes ago, NFL_Announcer said:

This pick drove me nuts. I really have no clue what Seattle is trying to do at this point. Penny goes down like a sack of potatoes when a stiff breeze hits him and we had guys like Michel/Guice who are much better graded backs still available. 

Someone posted above that he is a solid receiving back and can let Carson be the feature back while he provides a suitable backup? We just took a RB in the 1st round... that RB should be 100% a feature back if that's the case. The F are you talking about with a viable option on 3rd down? 

Settle down.

I think you are referring to me? Looks like you misinterpreted what I said. Obviously Penny is drafted to be the feature back. Carson slides into the Robert Turbin role [but depending on his recovery, and more expanded role than Turbin had].

3 hours ago, SoS said:

Not a fan of this pick in the least. 

Im of the belief that this team can easily find a capable back in the mid-to-later rounds (see both Rawls and Carson) and we’re using premium draft capital for a kid with some serious deficiencies. 

Pros:

+ when he sees daylight, he can step on the gas and possesses home run speed 

+ big back that can withstand the rigors of 20+ carries 

+ should be effective in a one-cut zone system, good-not-great vision and the ability to get skinny through tight lanes 

+ not much mileage after only 1 season as a full-time starter 

Cons: 

- despite his size, he doesn’t run with much tenacity at all and goes down on first contact a surprising amount 

- despite home run ability, he was very tentative in actually hitting that 2nd gear and maximizing each carry 

- liability as a 3rd down back, god awful in pass pro (both physically and mentally) and below average as a receiver 

One of the best in college football with YPC and produced literally ten times better than Saquan when contacted behind the line. Had 1200 yards after first contact

id say he’s plenty tenacious. 

My problem is the value of a first round RB and taking one when the defense needs major help and this is one of the deepest RB classes we’ve ever seen on paper (at least in modern football)

the level of defensive talent lent remaining after round 4 doesn’t sniff the RBs that will be laying around. Seahawks treat the 1st Round like the 5th round and that’s why they’ve failed so miserably with it. 2nd round hasn’t been much better 

wanted Oliver badly. Seems like a bonafide stud. 

Archived