With the 27th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft...

ditchdigger

8 hours ago, imani said:

One of the best in college football with YPC and produced literally ten times better than Saquan when contacted behind the line. Had 1200 yards after first contact

id say he’s plenty tenacious. 

My problem is the value of a first round RB and taking one when the defense needs major help and this is one of the deepest RB classes we’ve ever seen on paper (at least in modern football)

the level of defensive talent lent remaining after round 4 doesn’t sniff the RBs that will be laying around. Seahawks treat the 1st Round like the 5th round and that’s why they’ve failed so miserably with it. 2nd round hasn’t been much better 

wanted Oliver badly. Seems like a bonafide stud. 

In an offense that does nothing but churn out highly productive college backs. The Aztecs line is really good. 

Check out his tape against the better run defenses he faced like Boise St and Fresno St. He is not an innately powerful runner and won’t break many tackles. The reason is yards after contact is so high is because he played against trash competition for the majority of his carries and has the ability to take it 70 yards if he makes one guy miss. 

But ya, the value of RB is my biggest issue with this. We’ve found guys really late like Rawls and Carson who proved to be very good NFL talents pre-injury. 

You can tell that Schneider & company really focus on a players strengths/athletic profile and trust that they can coach the weaknesses out of them. Which I’m not always a fan of. 

46 minutes ago, SoS said:

In an offense that does nothing but churn out highly productive college backs. The Aztecs line is really good. 

Check out his tape against the better run defenses he faced like Boise St and Fresno St. He is not an innately powerful runner and won’t break many tackles. The reason is yards after contact is so high is because he played against trash competition for the majority of his carries and has the ability to take it 70 yards if he makes one guy miss. 

But ya, the value of RB is my biggest issue with this. We’ve found guys really late like Rawls and Carson who proved to be very good NFL talents pre-injury. 

You can tell that Schneider & company really focus on a players strengths/athletic profile and trust that they can coach the weaknesses out of them. Which I’m not always a fan of. 

They definitely have a great line and system, but that doesn’t take away from Penny if You ask me . The Aztecs have had two RBs drafted since 2002, I don’t know if I would call them a halfback farm, even if you’re talking about at the college level of production. In recent history they’ve stood out for sure, but it’s not like teams are consistently over drafting players from their rushing system. They haven’t produced a solid nfl Olineman since Chester Pitts. We overdrafted terry poole a few years ago and the ravens snagged a guy in the late rounds recently.

Also just watching the standford tape that scouts were endorsing so much shows a lot. He can build on his Physicality, which isn’t really something his success is contingent on as he may be the most elusive back in this draft. He takes elite rushing angles and limits wasted movement. I think there’s a difference between being inately powerful and tenacious, they aren’t mutually exclusive, but they certainly arent synonyms either. Kid hits the hole hard, there’s no denying it. And like I said, there was no better back at the college level when hit Behind the line of scrimmage, there’s definitely something to this guy.

That aside we we are in agreement. RB was taken too early in a draft like this. Period

I like the kid. Don’t get me wrong. He has a high-potential skill set and I can see why John had him graded so high if you ignore some of his deficiencies. I think he’ll be a good pro when all is said and done. I’m actually happy we took him over Guice. 

I think you’re really overselling his tackle breaking ability (which is fair when you look at the stats, but the tape tells a different story IMO). 

Personally would’ve preferred Kerryon Johnson or Ronald Jones if we went RB. 

I love RB's and will drive hype trains long after they're dead.  But, bruh, as much as I like Rashaad Penny I really don't get the pick.

He's definitely a long stride runner; really not a fan of striders because they're usually just home run RB's.  I guess he kind of reminds me of a small Arian Foster or David Johnson??

Really should've worked the Oline before getting a home run hitter like Penny imo. A lot of Penny's broken tackles come from pretty weak arm tackles.  He has some nice short space moves but, his overall footwork looks pretty mediocre.  

2 hours ago, SoS said:

I like the kid. Don’t get me wrong. He has a high-potential skill set and I can see why John had him graded so high if you ignore some of his deficiencies. I think he’ll be a good pro when all is said and done. I’m actually happy we took him over Guice. 

I think you’re really overselling his tackle breaking ability (which is fair when you look at the stats, but the tape tells a different story IMO). 

Personally would’ve preferred Kerryon Johnson or Ronald Jones if we went RB. 

Just going off of stats I’ve seen of him. First in broken tackles (by almost a double digit margin) and first in yards after contact at or behind the scrimmage line. 

He runs upright, but so does Kerryon, who is injury prone and very skinny down low. Penny is one of the most durable backs in this class. I love Ronald jones, but perry is just as explosive and bigger. 3rd in the country in breakaway  percentage. Yes competition  plays a part there though, so I’ll give the nod to jones proving it against better athletes

Also, and pardon me for nitpicking, why do people keep calling him small? He’s 5’11 225 , prototypical size and heavier than prime Lynch  

Can’t really speak on the small thing. I don’t spend much time reading others opinions/evaluations so I haven’t heard that one before. He has great size for feature work. 

Believe me, I get why a team would take Penny over those guys. He has a unique blend of size and speed. I’m just of the opinion that Kerryon and Ron Jones will be better pros. 

1 hour ago, RamPackFan said:

horrible pick and not even a priority....Carroll won't finish .500 and will be fired by 2019 - bet!

It’ll only be worth it if we put money on it. 

• 3 weeks later...

At least Penny has talent as a 1st round selection. Our fans here aren't really happy with Penny. I happen to like the RB selection and believe he can be an O.J Anderson type of player. When O.J. came out of Miami, he had the same stride, moves, speed and overall talent.

I don't trust our fans anyway.  I CLEARLY remember 2 years ago when 99% liked Ifedi and I thought and wrote what a turd he is/was at T&AM. Showed game you tube. We all had to list the 1 player we hoped the Hawks wouldn't draft. I listed Ifedi. Fans argued. Everything I said has been shown to be true and come to fruition. I've been a contrarian of PC/JS the past few years.

Especially, the wasted selections in RD3 of 2016. 2016 trash has made this squad now average.  I couldn't stand Prosise at ND. Fumbler. Nick Vannett? Get real. What did he do at OSU?  Rees at G?   These players looked like luxury selections. All backups. Add that to turd Ifedi and that is why we're likely 3rd in the West in 2018.

JS/PC focused on a running back NEED and was looking for a beast mode.  Maybe we'll start using the screen game like I've been clamoring for. Penny will be a stud getting him in open space. I like the pick. Greater needs? Maybe but the Hawks philosophy is run first. We're trying to get back to basics. 

It's difficult to evaluate Penny vs lower end competition but David Johnson has succeeded behind a poor line and even worse competition. Maybe Penny will do the same. Bring on the delayed screens and power game. 

• 2 months later...

Archived