With the 29th pick, the Jaguars select DT Taven Bryan

pwny

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So what is the downside of this pick in a vacuum? Why didnt he go higher?

He only began putting things together towards the end of this last year. The question is whether he has the mental aspect to be the player that the physical skills show he could be.

18 hours ago, iPwn said:

He only began putting things together towards the end of this last year. The question is whether he has the mental aspect to be the player that the physical skills show he could be.

This.  And i think potentially another part of him "slipping" a bit to us, is that because he's so relatively inexperienced/raw at the position, a lot of teams were probably more hesitant on his ability to step in to a big role from Day 1.  When it comes to 1st round picks, most teams are looking at these guys to step in immediately as starters and hopefully impact players.  With Bryan, that might well not be the case.  We have the DLine to "insulate" and let him ease in with more of a rotational role to start with.  Can take a little bit of a "jar on the shelf" approach if we have to.  A lot of teams don't have that luxury.

Whereas, if you're say...a team looking at him as a prospective 3-4 base end, i think you're going to have some real concerns about his raw skillset holding up vs the run in particular.  From the beginning of the season at least.  Here, we can basically just run him in to situations where he can do what he's already good at, as a penetrating disruptive presence vs obvious passing situations.  While he watches up close and learns every day how guys like Calais and Malik handle that stuff.

In short: The downside is that we may not be getting a fully polished instant "starter" out of our 1st round pick.  Which not every team would be as keen to accept.

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

i wonder if the team is gonna use him ala Campbell/Jackson or More like a potential Dareus Replacement. 

Why would you use him like Dareus? 3T/5T is pretty obvious for him.

42 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah.  The Dareus role makes no sense to me either.  That's probably the element he's least prepared to succeed in.  Don't think he's really built for it either.

36 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Love these highlights but it just seems too good to be true

I mean, it's the same with Chark and whoever else.  Anyone really.  The "highlights" are usually pretty good.  By the nature of the highlight process.

If you watch the games, you'll see plenty of less spectacular plays to accompany the good stuff too.

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  The Dareus role makes no sense to me either.  That's probably the element he's least prepared to succeed in.  Don't think he's really built for it either.

I mean, it's the same with Chark and whoever else.  Anyone really.  The "highlights" are usually pretty good.  By the nature of the highlight process.

If you watch the games, you'll see plenty of less spectacular plays to accompany the good stuff too.

Yeah, I mean Bryan I'd say is a little more ridiculous than normal, but it's not like he's constantly doing this. Good news is he's doing this with very few real moves and basically provides a blank canvas with ridiculous tools to Marian Hobby. He did a heck of a job last year with our DL, let's hope he can continue that with Bryan.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

u do realize dareus can play all 3 of our DL positions except as an edge rusher. 

we need to figure out our solution there because Jones and Dareus can be cut next year for no dead money and obviously with Ramsey, Jack, Ngakoue looming for extensions were gonna need to clear out cap for 1) getting under the cap for next year and 2) getting the extensions done. 

Archived