With the 29th pick, the Jaguars select DT Taven Bryan

pwny

21 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

u do realize dareus can play all 3 of our DL positions except as an edge rusher. 

we need to figure out our solution there because Jones and Dareus can be cut next year for no dead money and obviously with Ramsey, Jack, Ngakoue looming for extensions were gonna need to clear out cap for 1) getting under the cap for next year and 2) getting the extensions done. 

I do realize this, but you said fill which one of the spots. Pretty obvious what Dareus's main position is...and Bryan clearly isn't that.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I do realize this, but you said fill which one of the spots. Pretty obvious what Dareus's main position is...and Bryan clearly isn't that.

you never know unless u try him there. he might actually be good at it :P.

its like Why fowler doesnt get a shot at being a Sam Lber which he probably wouldnt actually be solid at doing. 

4 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

its like Why fowler doesnt get a shot at being a Sam Lber which he probably wouldnt actually be solid at doing. 

Watch him play. No one's saying he can't play it, but it clearly doesn't fit his play style as well.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, I mean Bryan I'd say is a little more ridiculous than normal, but it's not like he's constantly doing this. Good news is he's doing this with very few real moves and basically provides a blank canvas with ridiculous tools to Marian Hobby. He did a heck of a job last year with our DL, let's hope he can continue that with Bryan.

Yeah.  There's a ton to work with there, and those flashes indicate as much.  Just have to be careful not to think the "highlights" are the "norm".  For anyone.  But especially for a guy with the raw, splash play profile of a guy like Bryan.

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

tbh, i think it's pretty obvious why Fowler doesn't get a shot at SAM LBer.  With Gus it was vaguely opened up as a possibility because of where he was sort of shifting the defense.  But he can't really cover (and isn't worth distracting him from his primary role to cultivate this), set an edge, or really do anything beyond blitzing and rushing the passer.  In certain Under looks, he might be able to handle it...but having a guy like Fowler there who can't do much else doesn't introduce the desired disguise factor and doesn't really give you the desired versatility of fronts/looks to have him on the field consistently in that spot.  He just sorta is what he is...a nice pass rusher who can rotate in and come off the edge with unrefined speed+power in certain packages, or a guy you can move around and blitz in specific situations i guess.

I think it's also pretty clear why Taven wouldn't be a great fit in Dareus' predominant role.  Taven hasn't really shown much aptitude as a big wide two-gapping run stuffer.  Splitting a double-team and shooting gaps with quickness isn't really what made Dareus such an upgrade over Abry there.  But that's really what Taven flashes the most as.  He's a penetrator, more than a guy who is going to blow up multiple blocks and deny an OLine the movement they're looking for in the run game.  His reckless play style, comparative lack of bulk, and more "attacking" skillset would make him way too susceptible to penetrating himself right out of lanes.

Yeah there's no way Bryan is moving to NT. If anything, it's more likely they move Calais inside if Smoot/Bryan can develop at the big end since he still has a lot of dead money. 

I Don't think we cut both abry and Dareus next year... but one will be gone just not sure who (depends on their performance this season).

The team also likes Ankou. And it's quite possible they target a guy in draft next year at that spot.  Bryan is more depth/possible replacement behind Malik/Calais, not dareus

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

tbh, i think it's pretty obvious why Fowler doesn't get a shot at SAM LBer.  With Gus it was vaguely opened up as a possibility because of where he was sort of shifting the defense.  But he can't really cover (and isn't worth distracting him from his primary role to cultivate this), set an edge, or really do anything beyond blitzing and rushing the passer.  In certain Under looks, he might be able to handle it...but having a guy like Fowler there who can't do much else doesn't introduce the desired disguise factor and doesn't really give you the desired versatility of fronts/looks to have him on the field consistently in that spot.  He just sorta is what he is...a nice pass rusher who can rotate in and come off the edge with unrefined speed+power in certain packages, or a guy you can move around and blitz in specific situations i guess.

Basically. Look at the way even Poz flips his hips and runs in coverage (and he’s bad) and then compare that to Fowler. He quite clearly can’t do that.

5 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Yeah there's no way Bryan is moving to NT. If anything, it's more likely they move Calais inside if Smoot/Bryan can develop at the big end since he still has a lot of dead money. 

I Don't think we cut both abry and Dareus next year... but one will be gone just not sure who (depends on their performance this season).

The team also likes Ankou. And it's quite possible they target a guy in draft next year at that spot.  Bryan is more depth/possible replacement behind Malik/Calais, not dareus

you wanna check Sportac before saying Jackson or Campbell have huge dead cap numbers?

Jackson has a 4 million dead cap in 2019 and Campbell has a 3 million dead cap in 2019.   

we are over the Pojected cap by just under 49.5 Million.

Dareus is no question is gone at his Current Salary of 11,585,000. yes his presence is good in the run game but u can get a guy to tie up for cheaper. 

Fowler no question we get rid of him at 14.2 million. 

abry at 4 million seems a bit overpay to me. we saw how he played with a starting role and it wasnt nearly as good when he was behind a guy. 

we got an easy 29.785 million in free money to solve the cap problems.  

18 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

you wanna check Sportac before saying Jackson or Campbell have huge dead cap numbers?

Jackson has a 4 million dead cap in 2019 and Campbell has a 3 million dead cap in 2019.   

we are over the Pojected cap by just under 49.5 Million.

Dareus is no question is gone at his Current Salary of 11,585,000. yes his presence is good in the run game but u can get a guy to tie up for cheaper. 

Fowler no question we get rid of him at 14.2 million. 

abry at 4 million seems a bit overpay to me. we saw how he played with a starting role and it wasnt nearly as good when he was behind a guy. 

we got an easy 29.785 million in free money to solve the cap problems.  

I use over the cap vs spotrac.

Malik will have $4M and Calais will have $5M in dead space if cut in 2019. It's not HUGE, but to me that's still a good amount relative to their production.

Calais is a 4.5M savings while Malik would actually be larger at $7M.

so on 2nd thought maybe Malik might be more in danger if Bryan progresses quickly.

I still think Dareus goes first before either one since we have enough money in 2019.

2020 is when I think Malik and Calais possibly goes or restructures ($2M for Malik, $2.5m for calais).

Archived