Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

That still doesn’t mean that they would have taken one over Hughes at 30. 

Right. We don't know. We, as in all of us. I gave my opinion. I don't know why my opinion is so objectionable to some.

21 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

You would like to think so, wouldn't you. But I am not so sure that is reality. The Vikings were hoping one of the offensive guards on the board would fall to them in the second round.  Rick Spielman has mentioned that he looks at positional depth when deciding which position to pick in the draft. He looked at the depth and thought that a guard would fall. In hindsight, he now knows this judgement was incorrect.

You cant argue against hindsight, too bad we cant access it so we can make an educated knowledge...instead we are stuck with educated guesses.

13 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Right. We don't know. We, as in all of us. I gave my opinion. I don't know why my opinion is so objectionable to some.

as a cyber friend, i will say that some times opinions here are stated with such an assuredness to them that they come off as intentioned to be rock solid fact. and that those who disagree with said opinion are seen as wrong and perhaps ignorant.

but then, that's merely my opinion on the matter.

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Drafting based on immediate need instead of getting the best available players that fit into your 2-3 year plan is extremely short-sighted an d foolish

Rookies should NOT be starting on a 13-3, NFC Championship caliber team.

Rookies start very often for the SB winning Patriots....many years in fact. Many. I'd argue that's one thing they do better.

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

No, it's ridiculous for fans, who have no idea how the team valued players, to question their picks before they play a single down. 

Is anyone saying that Hughes was a reach? Anyone? I haven't seen that. Most people, who also are not employed by NFL teams, seemed to like the pick. But really, the only ones who matter liked the pick. And they took him. 

Is it also ridiculous to praise a pick, before they play? Because I see no one make that argument.

this is a board to discuss picks....I thought.

11 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I think lost a bit  in the shuffle beyond the fact that when they were OTC, they didn't get called about trades, is that Hughes actually has the talent to be drafted in the 1st round. We act like it's horrible to not have gotten an OG/OL there, but Hughes gives us depth at CB, gives up flexibility at CB, and gives us a ton of talent in the secondary which doesn't hurt at all in the NFL right now with the insane amounts of passing that happen. Would have been getting more OL help been great, sure, but getting more DB help is also very important in terms of success. So I can't be mad that we improved DB depth when the OL depth that they liked wasn't available.

Exactly. We could've picked an OL with the first pick, but then it would've been a reach. 

The reality is that it's harder to find better talent when you're drafting later. The draft helps the NFL keep it's parity (at least it's supposed to).

I'm okay with the Mike Hughes pick. It may not be the sexiest pick, but I expect him to contribute a lot for us, and maybe even solidify the #2 spot someday. 

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Exactly. We could've picked an OL with the first pick, but then it would've been a reach. 

The reality is that it's harder to find better talent when you're drafting later. The draft helps the NFL keep it's parity (at least it's supposed to).

I'm okay with the Mike Hughes pick. It may not be the sexiest pick, but I expect him to contribute a lot for us, and maybe even solidify the #2 spot someday. 

I will live with the Hughs pick.  I'm not going to suddenly become a fan of the Eagles or the Patriots because of the pick.  Yes, he adds depth the DB's.  Yes, he's probably a first round talent.  Yes, in 2 or 3 or 4 years he will be a regular starter.  Great.  My opinion is that the Vikings brain trust has not given the same value to the importance of offensive linemen as they have defensive players over the last decade or more.  I will continue to argue that offensive line is the most important unit on the football field.  I guess I was hopeful, since the signing of Cousins, that finally the Vikings would turn their attention to offensive line in FA and the draft to try to get some really good, talented players, not projects or retreads.  So far, in my opinion, the Vikings have failed to adequately address this weakness.  This leads me to believe that if the Vikings make the playoffs this year, that they won't go very far, or far enough.

I am closing in on my 60's.  I have hypertension, high cholesterol and am on medication for both.  I want to see the Lombardi trophy in the hands of the Vikings franchise before I kick the bucket!!

They obviously valued Hughes more then any OL available at #30. Is pretty much that simple. Hughes was "so high" on their board that they passed on OL options. 

I wasn't high on Hernandez, so only Williams or Daniels were options for me.

Now it's possible that if they knew there was going to that high OL run, they might take a cheaper trade down option (if that was even a possibility), but this draft kinda played out similar to what I thought, I thought CB would be the BPA which we'd select, the OL run would cause us to reach for OL in round 2 or take OL in round 3 as fair value.

Not something that ppl love, but it's not a shocker at all. I'm more shocked by Edge not being addressed earlier 

43 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am closing in on my 60's.  I have hypertension, high cholesterol and am on medication for both.  I want to see the Lombardi trophy in the hands of the Vikings franchise before I kick the bucket!!

Get that stuff under control and settle in for the long haul... we’re Vikings after all - perennial second bests! Wooo!!

3 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Will any of this banter matter in 5 years when Hughes and Rhodes are the top shutdown corner duo in the NFL?

That's the dream.

It does make me thing as well though, a lot of people have Waynes pretty low on the resigning priority list, so in that case, probably better to draft a corner now and have them get some experience and then ready to start when/if Waynes isn't resigned.

Just now, The Gnat said:

That's the dream.

It does make me thing as well though, a lot of people have Waynes pretty low on the resigning priority list, so in that case, probably better to draft a corner now and have them get some experience and then ready to start when/if Waynes isn't resigned.

That's always been my thought.  I really like Waynes, but he's not one of those "core" players (which Spielman defined a long time ago) that are needed to be resigned.  

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

Will any of this banter matter in 5 years when Hughes and Rhodes are the top shutdown corner duo in the NFL?

It will no longer matter to me when the Lombardi Trophy is handed to Zygi by the Commissioner.

16 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

It will no longer matter to me when the Lombardi Trophy is handed to Zygi by the Commissioner.

For me, it'll actually be when Zygi hands it over to Zimmer that it'll stop mattering and not a moment sooner. 

Archived