Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

For me, it'll actually be when Zygi hands it over to Zimmer that it'll stop mattering and not a moment sooner. 

So, it'll be February 3rd, 2019 then!  Reach the Peach!

In 4 years when there will be no dead money left if we cut him, Xavier Rhodes will be over 30. I don't have any data on it, but I feel like there aren't a lot of CB's that remain at the top of their game past 30. Hughes could be the future at the CB position for us, even though I don't want to think about not having Xavier anymore. 

I don't think they would've drafted Hughes unless they expected him to beat out Alexander, and wanted to upgrade from what they think Alexander can do in the slot. 

Alexander basically already lost the NCB job last season, Newman was taking more of the nickel snaps as the year went on. 

I think they'll move Alexander back outside where he can be a backup to Rhodes and Waynes. 

Best case scenario for Hughes long term is that he eventually becomes the CB2 ahead of Waynes, moving to the slot when Waynes comes in outside in 3CB sets. That's what they did with Munnerlyn in Zimmer's first year: played him outside in 2CB sets (opposite Rhodes) and in the slot in 3CB sets (with Josh Robinson outside).

But if Waynes picks up from where he left off last year including with his very good run/screen tackling I think he'll keep the CB2 job ahead of Hughes for the upcoming year. 

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

You guys think he'll beat out Alexander too?

I would hope so. I would hope Vikings drafted him in mind to be able to beat out Alexander & then eventually take over at outside CB in 1-2 years.

This would be my expected goal for Hughes.

Given the prevailance of slot weapons in the NFL now, I’d love for him to be able to be an outside corner in base sets, and be the corner to kick inside in nickel/dime packages as Krauser outlined above. 

8 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Given the prevailance of slot weapons in the NFL now, I’d love for him to be able to be an outside corner in base sets, and be the corner to kick inside in nickel/dime packages as Krauser outlined above. 

I'm thinking Waynes will be the outside corner in bases sets this year still. Hughes to be slot nickle|dime CB.

If Hughes takes the 2nd starting outside CB that should be huge.

Watched more of Hughes — he’s really, really good. 

Even the one TD he allowed all year was to Anthony Miller on a perfect back shoulder throw. He was right there and got a hand in but Miller made the catch:

Can hardly find any other examples of Hughes being beaten in man coverage. Here’s another play manned up against Miller in the red zone:

His man coverage skills are far better coming out of college than Waynes or Alexander, even better than Rhodes. Watching his film, I could see him  being a top 10-15 pick. I guess his height and 40 time worked against that, plus the off field concerns.

Great value to get him at 30.  

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Very interesting, shows several plays that aren’t in any of the highlight packages or cutups on YouTube. 

Obviously these are highlights but I have to ask — does Hughes have any bad coverage film out there?

I can’t find him making any obvious mistakes: he’s incredibly sticky in man coverage, especially turning to run downfield with the receiver, and he’s quick and aggressive in closing on the ball from zone or off coverage. The only TD he allowed was the one I posted above by Anthony Miller, and even there his coverage was pretty close to flawless, the pass was just perfect and the receiver made a great catch.

Comparing him to what I remember of corner prospects from earlier years, he’s way better than Waynes or Alexander were coming out of college. Waynes had one particular bad game (Penn State?) where he got beat several times and his film showed he had trouble with inbreaking routes — a problem that has continued in the NFL though he’s gradually improved in that respect. Alexander had great coverage stats but his film showed him gambling a lot and his one big game (head to head against I forget which big name WR prospect) involved him getting beat by turning late or the wrong way out of his breaks but being bailed out by late or high throws — a problem that has continued in the NFL, for instance with Baldwin’s big play in the preseason game out of the slot, or a couple of the explosive plays late in the Saints game.

I don’t understand why Hughes was by consensus no better than a late 1st - early 2nd prospect. He plays tough as a tackler and against the run, though he does need to wrap up better instead of launching with his shoulder. His coverage skills are as good as I’ve seen. He’s got plus ball skills and he’s an excellent returner. I guess if he was an inch taller or ran 4.4 instead of 4.5? But then you see his closing speed in the open field, his leaping and ability to high point the ball, and his ability to run vertically with receivers — it’s obvious he’s not limited by height, length or speed. Was it the off field concerns?

From what I see on film, I wouldn’t complain if the Vikings had drafted him 11th instead of 30th. 

3 hours ago, Krauser said:

I don’t understand why Hughes was by consensus no better than a late 1st - early 2nd prospect. He plays tough as a tackler and against the run, though he does need to wrap up better instead of launching with his shoulder. His coverage skills are as good as I’ve seen. He’s got plus ball skills and he’s an excellent returner. I guess if he was an inch taller or ran 4.4 instead of 4.5? But then you see his closing speed in the open field, his leaping and ability to high point the ball, and his ability to run vertically with receivers — it’s obvious he’s not limited by height, length or speed. Was it the off field concerns?

From what I see on film, I wouldn’t complain if the Vikings had drafted him 11th instead of 30th. 

as Bercich was saying, "he runs the route better than the receivers do."

Archived