Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

9 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

The consensus view may have taken into account his off the field trouble. 

I guess so, but I don't see that stated directly in most takes on him as a prospect, unlike for instance Callaway, or other players who fell due to injury or medical concerns (Maurice Hurst etc). 

Is there a take that says he'd be a top 15-20 pick if it wasn't for the off field stuff? 

34 minutes ago, Krauser said:

I guess so, but I don't see that stated directly in most takes on him as a prospect, unlike for instance Callaway, or other players who fell due to injury or medical concerns (Maurice Hurst etc). 

Is there a take that says he'd be a top 15-20 pick if it wasn't for the off field stuff? 

I saw some mocks having the Packers select him in the first round at 14th overall.  Not to many had him falling all the way to 30.

4 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Daniel Jeremiah had him ranked as his 15th overall player

I'm sure some scouts liked him a lot, but I haven't seen a consensus that he was a mid-1st round talent who dropped because of off field issues. 

On 5/11/2018 at 4:43 PM, Krauser said:

I'm sure some scouts liked him a lot, but I haven't seen a consensus that he was a mid-1st round talent who dropped because of off field issues. 

i'm not sure to be honest. even people like josh norris, who doesn't factor in injury or character concerns (he had maurice hurst 8th overall), has hughes ranked as his 51st player. norris had brian o'neill 39th for what it's worth. 

it seems that a bunch of scouts were lukewarm on him but the ones who like him, like him a lot. 

1 hour ago, whitehops said:

i'm not sure to be honest. even people like josh norris, who doesn't factor in injury or character concerns (he had maurice hurst 8th overall), has hughes ranked as his 51st player. norris had brian o'neill 39th for what it's worth. 

it seems that a bunch of scouts were lukewarm on him but the ones who like him, like him a lot. 

I guess this is more indication that there is no way to eliminate subjectivity from the evaluation of players.

• 2 weeks later...

The few completions Hughes allowed in man coverage in college were almost all like this — tight coverage, well placed throw, WR has to make a contested catch.

If this kind of play is all he gives up, Hughes is going to be really good.

On 5/25/2018 at 6:36 PM, Krauser said:

The few completions Hughes allowed in man coverage in college were almost all like this — tight coverage, well placed throw, WR has to make a contested catch.

If this kind of play is all he gives up, Hughes is going to be really good.

Thielen makes those look so damn easy....and I'm assuming the ball is coming from Kirk?

I can't help but think that Hughes (and or other DBs) having to go against 2 top-10 WRs and a top-10 QB everyday in practice is extremely good for their development. 

Spielman: “We did a lot of homework, not only on him but any player that we felt had any type of issue. We spent a lot of time with a lot of people that had him in their football programs. We spent a lot of time with people outside the football programs. And after our extensive research, no question we felt very confident about him coming in and being a Minnesota Viking.’’

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Mike-Hughes-pretty-close-to-signing-rookie-deal-with-Minnesota-Vikings-118811580

article also says he is close to signing a contract, for $9.9 million over four years and a $1.8 million cap hit this year.

Archived