Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

On 6/10/2018 at 1:16 PM, KeithVikings28 said:

I hated the pick (mainly because of the position) but he's a good player.

How can you hate it based on position? Teams need a minimum of 3 good CBs. Newman is gone after this year, Trae Waynes isn't being re-signed and Mack Alexander is still a bit unproven.

I wanted us to get an OL, but seeing how that worked out, drafting Hughes at 1.30 was fine by me.

26 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

and you know this to be a certainty how...?

It's not a certainty.  But, if Hughes progresses decently, and Alexander improves, and Waynes doesn't improve significantly, it is likely that The Vikings will not re-sign Waynes because Hughes or Alexander could replace him, and a young draftee added, on an entry-level contract (with Waynes' big contract gone) will help provide greatly-needed cap space to help pay for any added players in areas of extreme need (OL, LB, DL).  But, it's definitely NOT a certainty. Waynes could have a breakout year, and become indispensable, or Hughes could progress very slowly and Alexander regress, so the cap savings might have to come from elsewhere.  I'd rather have Waynes become really consistently good, and have 2 shut down corners, and Hughes doing well in the slot.  With 2 good safeties, that makes a very tight backfield, to help the pass rush and the linebackers, and get opposing offences off the field.  That, in turn, brings our offence more chances.   But, I realise that some Cap savings will need to come from somewhere.

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

How can you hate it based on position? Teams need a minimum of 3 good CBs. Newman is gone after this year, Trae Waynes isn't being re-signed and Mack Alexander is still a bit unproven.

I wanted us to get an OL, but seeing how that worked out, drafting Hughes at 1.30 was fine by me.

I agree.  I think Hughes was a steal at 30, and will be a very good NFL CB. I'm sure we'll be happy we drafted him there, given which OLers were left by then.  I just hope the OLers we go with this season can give Cousins enough protection that he'll not be scrambling for his life, and unable to see his open receivers, so we don't waste this season before improving the OL more significantly.

Could've gone as high as No. 14, so the pick is quite clearly a value choice.

The fit is two-pronged from my standpoint:

1. Coverage/matchup flexibility. Between Rhodes' boundary physicality, Trae Waynes' speed, Mack Alexander's diminutive slot versatility and now Hughes as an all-encompassing combo-corner who can play in/out.

2. 2019 season. If we're being honest, Trae Waynes is decent and showing signs of improvement, but he's not taken the next step and his development has seemed to slow dramatically. Hughes provides insurance in the event Waynes continues to stall this season. Also, with Newman serving a similar (valuable) role in Zim's defense likely entering his last year, there's a need for that profile.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Well I suppose anything could happen, but not everyone can be re-signed, and it appears that we have drafted his replacement.

Isn't that...obvious?

That's how I see it to. The better Wayne's does, the more he prices himself out of our range lol

20 hours ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

2. 2019 season. If we're being honest, Trae Waynes is decent and showing signs of improvement, but he's not taken the next step and his development has seemed to slow dramatically. Hughes provides insurance in the event Waynes continues to stall this season. Also, with Newman serving a similar (valuable) role in Zim's defense likely entering his last year, there's a need for that profile.

Agree that he hasn’t taken the next step/isn’t a top flight corner, but disagree that his development has stalled. He took a massive leap last year, and he closed the season very strong. I’m fairly confident that if he walks he will net a very nice comp pick.

I do think Waynes will be a cap casualty, especially if Hughes lives up to his billing, and Hill becomes what the Vikes think he can. 

Archived