Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

8 hours ago, Klomp said:

Reading more on Twitter, he's talking about Hughes picking up the zone inside man coverage. That sounds like more referring to the coverage in the slot, no?

Yes, he was talking about him playing the slot corner spot during the interview today. 

It’s cool to hear he is picking it up fast. We NEED solid slot play. Really was the weakest link last year even when Newman was playing it. 

• 1 month later...

Before putting pads on, Hughes said his biggest challenge is the leap from college playbooks to the NFL.

Hughes: “College they kind of simplify it for you. When you get here, I wouldn’t say you’re on your own, but you have to expand your knowledge a little bit more. You have to know what’s going on before the snap.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-cornerback-mike-hughes-learning-fast-nfl-playbooks-aren-t-the-ones-he-saw-in-college/489288411/

Hughes has been rotating between positions, playing cornerback, at which he excelled during his college career at the University of Central Florida, and nickelback, which he will need to learn if he wants to see the field next season. He likened nickelback to playing weakside linebacker, meaning he dives in on certain blitz packages, while also motioning across the formation based on the action in the backfield.

Hughes: “It’s been pretty equal so far. Wherever I can fit in is where I want to make an impact. I plan to do that pretty soon. I’ve just been busting my tail.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/26/after-buying-his-mom-a-house-rookie-mike-hughes-settles-in-with-vikings/

Hughes is getting reps everywhere on multiple units and it appears that he is turning heads of the veterans at camp. Mackensie Alexander is getting the majority of the snaps with the first team defense in the slot, but do not be surprised if Hughes pushes them.

Rhodes: “He didn't look like a rookie today.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/ContentGallery/Vikings-training-camp-Highlights-from-Saturday-afternoon-120172132/#120172132_9

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Yeah, me too. Already looks better in coverage than Waynes or Alexander ever have. 

Hope they let him play NCB this year. 

Hughes did get beat on that one play where he over ran the route and left the WR open in the end zone.  But around the line of scrimmage he is damn impressive and a solid tackler, very smooth in coverage.  Kid could be a star and should start at nickle shortly if not right away.  With his return skills as well, will be seeing a lot of Hughes this year I feel.  

Now with Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes and Alexander at CB, not to mention Sherels, Newman and Hill but doubt Hill makes the team... here is no question the Vikings have the deepest CB group in the NFL.  Used to be Denver with Talib, Harris and Roby but now I would say the Vikings have that top spot.  Oh and one of the best safeties in the NFL as well in Harrison Smith.  The Rams would be some what close with Talib, Peters, Nickell Robey and Shields but I would still take the Vikings over them.

Quick note, did not see Jayron Kearse out there in the game or Alexander for that matter, are they both injured?

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Hughes did get beat on that one play where he over ran the route and left the WR open in the end zone. 

Definitely didnt get beat on that play.  He "over ran" the route because he was playing the ball at that point cause the receiver was already beat.

Only problem on that play is he should have been more aggressive in attacking the ball, might have resulted in an int if he had.

That's all nit picking tho, cause the coverage was good

9 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Definitely didnt get beat on that play.  He "over ran" the route because he was playing the ball at that point cause the receiver was already beat.

Only problem on that play is he should have been more aggressive in attacking the ball, might have resulted in an int if he had.

That's all nit picking tho, cause the coverage was good

If I remember correctly he was far ahead of the WR and misplayed the ball in the air in the end zone.  Sure I guess one could say that is not getting beat but he lost his coverage I would say, misplaying and out running not only the WR but also where the ball was going.  But yeah not a huge deal sure...

The play you’re talking about is just upthread, 2nd video clip I posted. 

He doesn’t overrun the route, or the ball. He cuts off the WR, and is half a step ahead of him at the goalline, with the ball in the air. The pass is over the WRs head. Hughes accelerates away from the WR and is about to make a breadbasket INT when the WR reaches out one hand and tips it away at the last second. 

Onky criticism you could make there is that if he slows down and jumps instead of trying to catch it in stride he might have been able to box out and make the INT. But that’s super picky — main point is that he had blanket coverage and would’ve had a pick if the WR hadn’t made a fingertip pass deflection. 

Archived