Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

Though evaluating a small sample size, Rhodes, who is widely considered the top cornerback in the league, gushed about his protégé's big-picture projection.

"He plays like he's been in the league before, and I think years down the road he's going to be one of the best in the league," Rhodes said.

Hughes' strong preseason performance was a talking point during the Vikings' final week of training camp when they linked up with Jacksonville for two days of joint practices. What he did in Denver and throughout camp earned Hughes several days of first-team reps at nickel corner, where he split time with Mackensie Alexander.

"I love when the coaches feel like they can trust me to put me out there with any group," Hughes said. "I try to go out there and play my hardest and do what I'm supposed to do, just trust my game and play ball."

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/26827/top-pick-mike-hughes-has-looked-the-part-for-vikings

For what the Vikings need in at nickle he will be the guy and will be starting maybe even week 1.  On the LCB spot on deep balls his lack of height and length could hurt him in jump ball situations but in the slot he is above average already in tackling, footwork, blitzing and general quickness and speed to the football.  If the kid can stay healthy I say again, the Vikings will have the deepest and most talented CB group and DB group in general arguably in the NFL.  

Hughes looks damn good for this early on in his career.  True Rhodes and Waynes were more raw coming in and took some more time, especially Rhodes but playing nickel and playing LCB or RCB are two totally different things.  Being able to play nickle like Hughes can will allow him to take more chances and not be in as much pressure in coverage deep ball situations or in coverage.  It can be a great place for him to learn and grow, and would not be surprised in a few years if they do not sign Waynes and Hughes becomes the LCB.

Still early sure, but I agree he looks damn good.

Archived