Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

Strengths
  • A little short but stout and tough
  • Very physical from press
  • Gives opponents a rough ride out of their release
  • Won't just jam, looks to completely halt the route with his initial punch and aggression
  • Tracks and catches the football like a receiver
  • Ball skills include plus timing, soft hands and an ability to adjust body to make the catch
  • Plus short-area foot quickness to burst on ball and tremendous run-you-down speed on deep balls
  • Should be able to run with most every receiver in the league
  • Premium talent as a return man
  • Capable of making huge changes to field position and momentum
  • Eludes first tackler on punt returns and can change field position battle quickly
  • Downhill kick returner with speed to house it once he gets his crease

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

In reality. We got a more of the Marcus Peters type instead of the fast guy that can keep up with everyone. 

Hughes tackles, makes plays on the ball, and can play man to man. Not a lot of the available guys left are man type CB’s. 

We could have went Hernandez but he never has had experience is space, which he would be asked to do. 

We don’t know Williams medicals.

Daniels very well could be viewed as strictly as a guard. 

The talent is deeper at the guard position than CB. 

Do you see us trading up to get one of them, or will there be enough left to wait for one to fall?

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I sure hope the Vikings didn't spend a first round pick on a return man...again.

Probably the best man CB and ballhawk in the draft..... all around no. But if we throw him in the slot I trust him right now more than Alexander. He just happens to return kicks. 

Still more amazed everybody is worried about this stuff more than the off the field issues

4 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Plus If Rhodes misses more time

Oh man, this is true. How could I forget he gets knicked every game? (I’m fine with him getting missing a few series here and there since he’s so dang physical, but you need insurance.)

Did Josh Jackson just not fit our defense well? Too much of a zone CB?

What a lot of people don't understand now is that in the NFL Salary allocation is a HUGE thing.  Diverse Allocation of money to QB/RB/TE/WR/OL/DL/LB/DB/ST is big. Getting young players on cheap contracts with versatility are key.  The NHL, NBA and MLB are all seeing this( Less the MLB as they have no salary cap).  But the principle is still the same

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Do you see us trading up to get one of them, or will there be enough left to wait for one to fall?

We can find a starting guard in the late second. 

We could find a starting guard in the 3rd...... remember where we found Elfien? This interior line class is better than last years. 

Of course the athletic/talent level will be less, but remember Elfien had probably one hell of a ugly combine.

For lineman round 2 on I like that may be available... Austin Corbett and Alex Cappa are very high on my list. 

"In the NFL, a lot of teams get beat off alignment. So what (Coach Fisher) did, he taught us how to get in the right spot pre-snap. So when the play happens, we're already in the right spot—we're not getting picked by a receiver, for example. Just being in the right position on certain routes, small things like that, really helped slow the game down for me," Hughes said. "He was one of my favorite coaches, as well as (former UCF head coach Scott Frost). I learned how to actually line up in relation to where the offense was trying to attack us."

http://www.stack.com/a/magic-mike-how-former-quarterback-mike-hughes-became-the-most-exciting-cornerback-in-the-2018-draft

Archived