Vikings select...Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

SemperFeist

An all-state pick from Bern, North Carolina, Hughes signed on with home-state UNC for the 2015 season. He played in 11 games as a reserve that year, making 12 tackles and breaking up three passes. Hughes was suspended in October, however, for violating team rules after being part of an incident at a fraternity house. His time with the Tar Heels was over, so he attended Garden City Community College in 2016, earning national junior college All-American honors with 47 tackles, two interceptions, six pass breakups, and three return touchdowns. UCF Head Coach Scott Frost convinced Hughes to join UCF for the 2017 season, and his play was a big reason for the team's undefeated record. He started 12 of 13 contests, garnering first-team All-American Athletic Conference honors as a defensive back (44 tackles, four interceptions -- one returned for a touchdown, team-high 11 pass breakups) and second-team accolades as a returner (20 attempts, 635 yards, two touchdowns on kick returns; 13 attempts, 233 yards, one touchdown on punt returns).

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks?pick=30

1. Starts Nickle + Return Man

2. Starts Nickle + Return Man

3+ Starts outside 

typical corners take 2-3 years to develop in Zimmers defense. We have seen in. We’ve experienced it. 

We most likely will be losing Wayne’s after his 5th year option. Maybe after this we don’t even agree to one with him and that was a smoke screen to be able to draft this bad cat. 

Hughes is good. It isn’t a lineman. But I’ll take Hughes + 2nd round Guard over Hernandez + 2nd round CB of the future 

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

That's what has been said since I joined this site, that you can find late round OL. How has that worked?

Elflein worked out as a third round pick. That's relevant as he was selected and developed with the current regime. Id hope to get a G with one of our next two picks.

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

That's what has been said since I joined this site, that you can find late round OL. How has that worked?

I have to agree with you this year PCP.  We just invested a king's ransom in a QB with a guaranteed contract to boot.  We need to make sure he is protected.  It will be interesting to see if Spielman makes a move up in the second round to get some O-line help tomorrow.  

Archived