Patriots 1(31): Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

dhunt2402

The fun thing about the Patriots two prized picks this year is that you can watch them both in each other's film/cut-ups. It's safe to say they were the two most reliable players on their offense for a top 5 team in the country. I'm pretty ecstatic about both picks given what they can provide for the team...

Fantasy players need to stay away from the Patriots backfield again. Never thought I'd see RB first round, but if it had to be this is the guy I'd take. They must really want to focus on the running game this season, maybe to take the load off of Brady. 

I don't want to say Michel is like James White but, they have relatively similar running styles.  Michel is bigger with way better balance and downhill force but, they're both extremely agile with great footwork and a similar scooting run style.  

I was hyped when we got James White.  Even more hype now that we have big James White xD 

Doubtful he'll just crush defenses all year in his rookie season and don't get discouraged if he pulls a Le'Veon first season (<4.00 YPC).  He's gonna be dangerous once he gets acclimated.

Pick 31 rolls around

BB looks at current RB depth chart

> Hill

> White

> Burkhead

> Gillislee

WE NEED A RUNNING BACK

Drafts Sony Michel

This is a luxury pick for a team that doesn't have the luxury of picking players like this in the 1st Round. Offense is NOT our problem. 

On 4/27/2018 at 7:37 PM, The Third Rider said:

Aside from White none of them are anything special, I don't see how you can look at that group and think we have a real running game. If we didn't have an elite passing game those running backs don't scare anyone.

Good counter point because Michel does seem like a dynamic game changer.

On 4/29/2018 at 3:58 AM, DoleINGout said:

Good counter point because Michel does seem like a dynamic game changer.

He is. Watch the show he put on against Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl. Michel's post season dominance continued in the 1st half against Bama and then for some reason Georgia went away from him; I specifically remember questioning that at the time.

Michel has the potential to give the Patriots offense what Lewis did, but more. I love this pick.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:09 PM, TomRalph said:

This is a luxury pick for a team that doesn't have the luxury of picking players like this in the 1st Round. Offense is NOT our problem. 

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. It's not a luxury pick because there isnt a single guy you can rely on in the group prior. Hill is run down and might not even make the roster, Rex was in and out of the lineup due to injury in his first NFL season with a solid role on offense, White is viewed almost purely as a 3rd down passing back, and Mikey G was buried in the doghouse almost all last season. Michel is Lewis 2.0 IMO, and give the Partiots running game legitimacy in a season with less passing weapons and a yet older Brady. Start moving to a run first approach now as Brady gets older to rest his arm and then its in place as a new young QB eventually takes over.  

5 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

He is. Watch the show he put on against Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl. Michel's post season dominance continued in the 1st half against Bama and then for some reason Georgia went away from him; I specifically remember questioning that at the time.

Michel has the potential to give the Patriots offense what Lewis did, but more. I love this pick.

I saw that game live. I fell in love.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. It's not a luxury pick because there isnt a single guy you can rely on in the group prior. Hill is run down and might not even make the roster, Rex was in and out of the lineup due to injury in his first NFL season with a solid role on offense, White is viewed almost purely as a 3rd down passing back, and Mikey G was buried in the doghouse almost all last season. Michel is Lewis 2.0 IMO, and give the Partiots running game legitimacy in a season with less passing weapons and a yet older Brady. Start moving to a run first approach now as Brady gets older to rest his arm and then its in place as a new young QB eventually takes over.  

I think Lewis was way more explosive and agile but, Michel has way better downhill running.  Lewis could pound the rock but, Michel seems to have better balance going downhill than Lewis did.  

We needed a RB more than people think.

Hill and Gillislee are both underwhelming players. One of those two were bound to be cut even before we drafted Michel. Burkhead is injury prone and is only on the hook until 2019 (his dead money and cap savings are $1m and $3m respectively in 2020).

As mentioned before, Michel is a dynamic player and can be a real game changer. A good run game not only keeps Brady on the field, it can also help mask the defense if it's having an off day.

Archived