Winners & Losers from Day One

RaidersAreOne

55 minutes ago, Roninho said:

11 'experts' on NFL.com did a mock draft, and all had Miller picked in the 1st round with 10 of them picking Miller at 23 or earlier. Mike Mayock had him rated as #31 talent in his top 100. I havent seen a mock draft in the media where Miller wasnt picked in the 1st round. No idea if he is going to ball, but he certainly isn't a 3rd round prospect.

Also their thinking isn't that weird. The Raiders have a franchise QB but a 35 year old LT coming of a foot injury and no RT. I can see that you put a premium on a OT for that reason.

I don't like the value of the trade down, and if you are going to pick Miller then i'd prefer to do that after another trade down to the early 20's since 15 is a reach. But no way the kid is expected to be available after ~25.

My opinion but I had Miller as a 3rd round prospect based on talent and projection. 

There was way to much defensive talent on the board for the Raiders to select Miller. 

Especially when you could land someone like Tyrell Crosby in the 2nd. 

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

Giving Cutler $10m when they were already paying Moore to be a veteran backup was a colussal screw-up by Gase, it's been the worst move of his 2 years in Miami bar none IMO. Moore was terrible but I doubt Cutler's addition was worth more than a win or two max. Moore was paid way too much for 3+ years to do jack squat, I guess he helped a bit in 2016. A bit.

Didn't Miami at least come close to making the playoffs. As a fan, that is pretty solid accomplishment when you lose your starter for a season, no matter the cost.

You pay the going rate or just forget about winning for a season and as a fan, I want to enjoy the season as best I can and I expect my team to do what is necessary to win a few games even if we cannot make the playoffs!!!

Buffalo are winners.  They got the QB they wanted and a potential key guy on defense.  All without sacrificing any of 2019 picks.  In total, trading away their 12, 22, 53, 56, 65, and 154 picks which seems like a lot, but it's only a 19% overpay.   Compared to the Jets (39% overpay), that's a steal.  What they gave up was roughly was was expected for them to move up to 2nd overall pick, so it's almost like getting Edmunds for free.  

16 minutes ago, areksoo said:

Buffalo are winners.  They got the QB they wanted and a potential key guy on defense.  All without sacrificing any of 2019 picks.  In total, trading away their 12, 22, 53, 56, 65, and 154 picks which seems like a lot, but it's only a 19% overpay.   Compared to the Jets (39% overpay), that's a steal.  What they gave up was roughly was was expected for them to move up to 2nd overall pick, so it's almost like getting Edmunds for free.  

Not sure how you calculated those percentages. 

Jets 3 (2200) vs. Colts pick 6, 37,  49, and 2019 2nd round (2810). Or a 28% overpay

Bills 7 (1500) vs. TB 12, 53, 56 (2090). Or a 27% overpay.

Since these were for QB's, I wouldn't personally call them overpays. But both teams paid about the same price. 

Hmmm, maybe NFL teams were a lot higher on Penny than most around here:

Seahawks GM: A team tried to trade for Rashaad Penny

"A true rarity is that we had a team call after we selected him and tried to acquire him. I've never experienced that. We feel very blessed tonight," Schneider said Thursday night, via the Seattle Times.

The Seahawks would have taken Penny at No. 18 overall had they not been able to find a trade partner, Schneider said. Seattle ended up moving back nine spots from No. 27 in a trade with the Green Bay Packers, recouping a third-round pick, swapping late-round selections and were still able to snag Penny.

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/989702462599659521

4 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

"A true rarity is that we had a team call after we selected him and tried to acquire him. I've never experienced that. We feel very blessed tonight," Schneider said Thursday night, via the Seattle Times.

The Seahawks would have taken Penny at No. 18 overall had they not been able to find a trade partner, Schneider said. Seattle ended up moving back nine spots from No. 27 in a trade with the Green Bay Packers, recouping a third-round pick, swapping late-round selections and were still able to snag Penny.

That doesn't make it okay. That's the real John Dorsey we know.

31 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

3 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Forgot about Edmunds to the Steelers, but Penny is a close 2nd. 

Id say Penny was maybe the 4th biggest reach of the first round, and im still not sure it really was a reach.  I get that people arent really knowledgable about him, but there are some real high opinions of him.  

10 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Winners:

Arizona got their QB by giving up very little when they were labeled the team most likely to miss out on their QBOTF.

LAC got the steal of the first round

Losers:

Oakland..... yeah

New Orleans. I like the pick. Just not how much they gave up for it. 

The Browns. I wish Mayfield the best, but that place has eaten QB's alive. And that pick at 4 was....gross.

Baltimore. I'm going to go against the grain a little here. I feel like Hurst wasn't a 1st round type of player. I also feel like they had needs elsewhere to address. They then traded 2 seconds and a 4th to move back up into the first to select Lamar Jackson. I'm personally not a believer in him so sure I may be a bit biased. But my main issue is I don't think they had to move back into the first to take him. I don't think the Giants were going to select him at 34. All Baltimore needed to do would have been to move up over who? Miami? I just don't think it was necessary to move up that high to take him, and if he doesn't pan out, you wasted a first and 2 second rounders and you don't pick again until the 3rd. It helps a little that they do still have 2 3rds and 2 4ths to play with, but dang. It just doesn't strike me as a huge bargain in the grand scheme. 

I respectfully disagree with you! There was no bigger need in this draft than Tight End for the Ravens and Hurst was my favorite one in the draft. He is ridiculously sure handed and tough as nails, the Ravens love to run the football and Hurst is a hell of a blocker.

As far as Jackson is concerned, as a Ravens fan I'm so tired of seeing such a boring offense that lacks any kind of dynamic play makers. If Jackson develops he could be a franchise changing talent. I loved what Ozzie did in the first round!

1 hour ago, jarren said:

My opinion but I had Miller as a 3rd round prospect based on talent and projection. 

There was way to much defensive talent on the board for the Raiders to select Miller. 

Especially when you could land someone like Tyrell Crosby in the 2nd. 

As a Raiders fan, I agree, though I had Miller as a mid-late 2nd rounder. 

We missed a lot of spectacular guys for a guy we hope is solid. I don't see much difference between Miller and several guys still available. 

Sure, T had a premium value for the Raiders as Roninho said. But it's not like they filled it with a premium player. I'm not happy with it at all.

1 hour ago, bomont said:

I guess you missed the Seahawks' and Saints' picks.  ;)

Winners so far?  Jets, Bucs, Bills, Bolts, Ravens

What exactly was wrong with the Saints pick other than debating how much they paid to move up to that spot, which no one was taking the same package between pick #8 and when they did finally make the trade.

Archived