.....with the 40th pick in then NFL Draft....the Denver Broncos select? Let’s set the board

BaldyBronco

In every second round mock I looked at today I see Will Hernandez to the Giants. That's disappointing because I was really hoping he would last to No. 40 for us. 

My hope right now is that Josh Jackson is our pick. I know I said earlier we will probably go offense, and I wouldn't mind that at all, but I see a really, really good player in Jackson who could start as the No. 3 CB (yes, that's a starting position), right away. Plus, Elway has always said you can't have enough good corners, and I agree with that. 

18 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm trying to understand your point. Mines simple. If you really like a guy and don't think he'll make it to your spot, trade up and get him.

I think your position is, always stand pat and take the best player available at your spot, is that right?

Come on you know that’s not what I’m saying.  

If 5-6 guys fell way below where they should instead of 1 guy falling way too low - you don’t need to move up to get 1 of those guys. 

If there is only 1 guy who has fallen way later than where he belongs you move up to get him.   If teams have let 5-6 guys fall that hard who are in the same tier of talent (and who are hard to separate) with 8 picks left to go then there’s no need to move up.   If the 5-6 guys are are in the same tier of talent then you wait.   That’s what is happening here. That’s not even close to “always stand pat”.  

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm trying to understand your point. Mines simple. If you really like a guy and don't think he'll make it to your spot, trade up and get him.

I think your position is, always stand pat and take the best player available at your spot, is that right?

I cant speak for BF, but the way I see it is it's situation dependent. If you have 1 or 2 guys at a certain "tier" then absolutely you should trade up for them (as long as the compensation is reasonable). In this situation however, there are 8-9 players in that tier (who are all instant contributors and year 2 starters) and one will be there. I would still float an offer to Cle or Indy #40 + a 5th because I love Daniels and/or Hernandez but if they wont take that, then I'm happy waiting and taking who's left

6 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I cant speak for BF, but the way I see it is it's situation dependent. If you have 1 or 2 guys at a certain "tier" then absolutely you should trade up for them (as long as the compensation is reasonable). In this situation however, there are 8-9 players in that tier (who are all instant contributors and year 2 starters) and one will be there. I would still float an offer to Cle or Indy #40 + a 5th because I love Daniels and/or Hernandez but if they wont take that, then I'm happy waiting and taking who's left

Yes, that’s it in a nutshell. Thx. 

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

In every second round mock I looked at today I see Will Hernandez to the Giants. That's disappointing because I was really hoping he would last to No. 40 for us. 

My hope right now is that Josh Jackson is our pick. I know I said earlier we will probably go offense, and I wouldn't mind that at all, but I see a really, really good player in Jackson who could start as the No. 3 CB (yes, that's a starting position), right away. Plus, Elway has always said you can't have enough good corners, and I agree with that. 

And the fact he's only played the position for 3 years and is already this good? Yes please. Get him into our DB room and watch him become great. 

17 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I don't disagree. My point doesn't fall outside that. If you love a guy that's already fallen and he's tops on your board, go get him. (as long as the compensation isn't unreasonable)

26 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

20 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

And the fact he's only played the position for 3 years and is already this good? Yes please. Get him into our DB room and watch him become great. 

Plus CLE, NYG aren’t likely to take CB.   IND will likely get 1 with 2 picks coming.   CHI and TAM probably will mine the interior OL depth still there (or CHI linked to WR Sutton).  Those are the teams left ahead of us.   

I’d love Oliver at CB too but Jackson is the highest because he’s still learning and this good already.  We have a 50-50 shot he falls barring a trade up IMO.   IND will be the key.   Jackson, Goedert, OL...really hoping Elway doesn’t reach for a skill position (Goedert exception of course).

Edited by Broncofan

9 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I don't disagree. My point doesn't fall outside that. If you love a guy that's already fallen and he's tops on your board, go get him. (as long as the compensation isn't unreasonable)

We just see Williams differently then.   I love him but I love Jackson/Oliver, Goedert & Hernandez/Daniels just as much.   Had them all go in top 30 and truthfully had them all jumbled together (Jackson highest FWIW - Landry even higher but he won’t be there).   Those guys have all fallen.   Given how the next 7 picks go we should get 1 of them (unless Elway reaches for skill position but that’s a different issue).  All good.  

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Why? Including UDFAs we've brought in 15+ every year of the Elway era. And it's not like this team is so good across the board that it can't use the infusion of talent. 

Quality over quantity, we do need talent and to fill needs, not just camp bodies.

5 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Quality over quantity, we do need talent and to fill needs, not just camp bodies.

Quality only if the guy you are trading up to get is significantly better than the others left though and the price is reasonable.   Given the top 10 left I don’t know that’s the case now.   At 3.7 or 3.99 we could be in that sweet spot to move up.  Don’t see it quite yet.  

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Quality only if the guy you are trading up to get is significantly better than the others left though and the price is reasonable.   Given the top 10 left I don’t know that’s the case now.   At 3.7 or 3.99 we could be in that sweet spot to move up.  Don’t see it yet.  

Possible but which would fill a bigger need, OL or a CB ? A  RB or an ILB ? Which could be a starter as compared to being a backup ? Which has the higher potential.....all factors that'll be considered.

15 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Possible but which would fill a bigger need, OL or a CB ? A  RB or an ILB ? Which could be a starter as compared to being a backup ? Which has the higher potential.....all factors that'll be considered.

For year 2 - all of the top 6+ don’t separate enough for me.  All year 2 starters and impact ceiling.  

I do think we will want to move up in Rd3.   The talent left right now though I don’t quite see the dropoff we want to get ahead of to justify moving up.  

Edited by Broncofan