.....with the 40th pick in then NFL Draft....the Denver Broncos select? Let’s set the board

BaldyBronco

1 minute ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I mean yeah which broncos fan wouldn't take that?!? it values Ray as a late 1st (for 35) early 2nd (for 64) 

A team would be stupid to take it. That being said this is Cleveland who drafted baker #1 (lol) and Ward before Chubb (HAHAHA)

Too funny, I just blew coffee out my nose.

Note to self: Swallow coffee before reading posts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I mean yeah which broncos fan wouldn't take that?!? it values Ray as a late 1st (for 35) early 2nd (for 64) 

A team would be stupid to take it. That being said this is Cleveland who drafted baker #1 (lol) and Ward before Chubb (HAHAHA)

But 2.40 gives back some of the inequity.

Shane Ray is a great player.  And we lose him, which is a lot.

Edited by BaldyBronco
Typo

1 minute ago, BaldyBronco said:

But 2.40 gives it back some of the inequity.

Shane Ray is a great player.  And we lose him, which is a lot.

33 (580) + 35 (550) - 40 (500) = 630 (~#30 overall)

or 

33 (580) + 64 (270) - 40 (500) = 350 (#55 overall)

Look, I have faith that Ray can regain his 2nd year form where he had 8 sacks. But the fact remains he has had 13 sacks in 3 years. No team is giving up the equivalent of a 1st or 2nd for him. Especially when Landry is still available. 

1 minute ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

33 (580) + 35 (550) - 40 (500) = 630 (~#30 overall)

or 

33 (580) + 64 (270) - 40 (500) = 350 (#55 overall)

Look, I have faith that Ray can regain his 2nd year form where he had 8 sacks. But the fact remains he has had 13 sacks in 3 years. No team is giving up the equivalent of a 1st or 2nd for him. Especially when Landry is still available. 

Especially because Ray isn’t cheap in 2019.   That matters a ton in today’s NFL.   

FWIW I think Ray bounces back.   When you fracture a wrist you don’t get full power back until 6 months after returning    Which explains his 2017 lost season.   Barring injury I think we will see the guy who was PFF’s most improved 2nd year player on D (PFF isn’t perfect but that’s no small feat).

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Especially because Ray isn’t cheap in 2019.   That matters a ton in today’s NFL.   

FWIW I think Ray bounces back.   When you fracture a wrist you don’t get full power back until 6 months after returning    Which explains his 2017 lost season.   Barring injury I think we will see the guy who was PFF’s most improved 2nd year player on D (PFF isn’t perfect but that’s no small feat).

Yup.  Nice work.  I am not in front of my DVC, so it is not worth it.  Especially for the contract.  If we gave up 3.70 in the deal it may work. The points if we give up 3.70 make it a potential fair deal.  

Edited by BaldyBronco
typo

Just now, BaldyBronco said:

Yup.  Nice work.  I am not in front of my DVC, so it is not worth it.  Especially for the contract.  If we gave up 3.70 in the deal it may work. The points if we give up 3.70 give the deal like a potential fair deal.  

Just to be clear though - even though I am very optimistic he will bounce back - no way someone gives up an early 2nd for Ray.  Optimism on our end doesn’t mean someone else will pay for a best case outcome.   

If there is an EDGE to deal this draft it’s Barrett.   Because this is the time to cash in.   Next year will be too late and the comp pick isn’t likely as much as getting a return now rather than 2 drafts later. 

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Just to be clear though - even though I am very optimistic he will bounce back - no way someone gives up an early 2nd for Ray.  Optimism on our end doesn’t mean someone else will pay for a best case outcome.   

If there is an EDGE to deal this draft it’s Barrett.   Because this is the time to cash in.   Next year will be too late and the comp pick isn’t likely as much as getting a return now rather than 2 drafts later. 

How do you value Shane Ray?  He is young and talented, and somewhat proven?  Is he a 3rd Rounder?  A hand injury is not a death sentence?  What do you guys think.  Is he a 3.70? 4.116?

5 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

How do you value Shane Ray?  He is young and talented, and somewhat proven?  Is he a 3rd Rounder?  A hand injury is not a death sentence?  What do you guys think.  Is he a 3.70? 4.116?

Because he’s not cheap for 2019, and played so poorly on his return (which the injury explains for us but outsiders won’t pay for that), at this stage we probably only get a 4th type value at best.     

Which is why since we control his rights for 2019 - we keep Ray.  If he plays great then his trade value goes up or he’s worth keeping.   Trading him now likely means we are dealing him at lowest value.   Never a good idea.  Don’t get me wrong if we find a sucker team great.  But there are only so many Mike Tannebaums around.  

Barrett is the guy who makes sense to deal if there is interest.   We aren’t going to be able to retain him with our cap hell.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Because he’s not cheap for 2019, at this stage we probably only get a 4th type value at best.     

Which is why since we control his rights for 2019 - we keep Ray.  If he plays great then his trade value goes up or he’s worth keeping.   Trading him now likely means we are dealing him at lowest value.   Never a good idea. 

Barrett is the guy who makes sense to deal if there is interest.   We aren’t going to be able to retain him with our cap hell.  

But if a team values him and signs him to a long term deal they can spread out the cap hit.  My CSU homer attitude is in full effect.

6 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

But if a team values him and signs him to a long term deal they can spread out the cap hit.  My CSU homer attitude is in full effect.

No team will feel the need to commit to a long term deal until after 2018.   At soonest.  Right now teams just see a first rounder who underperformed. Badly.  

BAL has Breshad Perriman.   Taken 2015 1.26.   We need a WR.    Should we trade for him with a 4th rounder AND sign him to a long term contract?  Good idea?   3 years, 43 catches, 576 yards.  But he was a 1st rounder.  

THAT is what other teams see when they look at Shane Ray. 

Put yourself in another team shoes and look at the same idea you are suggesting.  It’s lunacy.   Someone might do it but they deserve to be fired if they do.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

No team will feel the need to commit to a long term deal until after 2018.   At soonest.  Right now teams just see a first rounder who underperformed. Badly.  

BAL has Breshad Perriman.   Taken 2015 1.26.   We need a WR.    Should we trade for him with a 4th rounder AND sign him to a long term contract?  Good idea?   3 years, 43 catches, 576 yards.  But he was a 1st rounder.  

THAT is what other teams see when they look at Shane Ray. 

Put yourself in another team shoes and look at the same idea you are suggesting.  It’s lunacy.   Someone might do it but they deserve to be fired if they do.   

Well said.  Thanks.

I don’t hate the pick. Didn’t see WR as a bigger need than OL or CB,and saw the drop off at TE as bigger after Dallas than WR after Sutton. That being said, he was te best WR on the board. Good player who reminds me of Brandon Marshall without the issues.

Both were big former S still learning the game who were slower than ideal but catch everything that comes their way. I’m not saying he’ll be as productive as B Marsh but he’s a solid #2 at least.