2018 Ravens 1st Round Draft Pick (#32) - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

wackywabbit

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

I'm skeptical about giving the players more control. Weddle on the last play of last season had full control over his assignment and ended up just wandering in the middle of the field covering nobody.

Can’t be any worse than giving the defensive coordinators full control.

I was reading this article on the Mike Vick Madden 04 moment and listening to the Eric DeCosta podcast where he mentions the emotional moment with Deion shouting out Ozzie on draft day for picking Lamar Jackson. Some people why Deion was so emotional and I think this article sort of conveys those emotions a little bit in case anyone is interested.

https://theundefeated.com/features/michael-vick-madden-nfl-2004/

It may have been in another thread, but there was concern that Lamar Jackson might not have been Eric DeCosta’s decision and just Ozzie trying to get Jackson.

DeCosta made it known in the podcast that it was his idea to go up and get Lamar Jackson. He went to Ozzie and asked if it might not make sense to trade back into round one and Ozzie agreed that it was a good idea. So they made the trade happen to go up and get Jackson.

That said, before all of the DeCosta hates Joe Flacco comments come out, DeCosta also mentioned before the Jackson part that their is no bigger fan in the Ravens organization of Joe Flacco than him.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

It may have been in another thread, but there was concern that Lamar Jackson might not have been Eric DeCosta’s decision and just Ozzie trying to get Jackson.

DeCosta made it known in the podcast that it was his idea to go up and get Lamar Jackson. He went to Ozzie and asked if it might not make sense to trade back into round one and Ozzie agreed that it was a good idea. So they made the trade happen to go up and get Jackson.

thanks man, didn't listen to the podcast and it was me questioning the decision/pick - thats making me feeel much better.

48 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

As nice as Derwin James would have been, we still go the best athlete on that^ field.

And it’s so underrated but while it looks like Jackson is taking big hits, he smartly goes down with contact. He’s not trying to truck defenders. He either gets to the sideline and tries to make things happen with his quicks or when running to the middle of the field, he tends to go down with the tackle vs fighting it. He doesn’t do a QB slide, but he does seem to almost dive forward. And it seems when he dives forward he extends his left arm vs his right arm, which if I’m correct in that assessment then that’s also expertly done.

10 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

That said, before all of the DeCosta hates Joe Flacco comments come out, DeCosta also mentioned before the Jackson part that their is no bigger fan in the Ravens organization of Joe Flacco than him.

The thing about the move up for Jackson is that this isn't selling the farm for him.  They gave up a future second, which in the grand scheme of things isn't a ton.  The value there just makes sense.  I know a lot of folks are all aboard the Jackson train, and I certainly like the kid as a player, but I think we should all be able to agree that it isn't necessarily indicative of the team hating Flacco and ready to be done with him nor does it necessitate a move in the near future.

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

The thing about the move up for Jackson is that this isn't selling the farm for him.  They gave up a future second, which in the grand scheme of things isn't a ton.  The value there just makes sense.  I know a lot of folks are all aboard the Jackson train, and I certainly like the kid as a player, but I think we should all be able to agree that it isn't necessarily indicative of the team hating Flacco and ready to be done with him nor does it necessitate a move in the near future.

agreed, ravens are in a good spot where they can let flacco play for another year or 2 if his play warrants it. Its not like Jackson was taking #1 overall. IMO the longer Jackson sits and learns the better long term

4 hours ago, paraven said:

agreed, ravens are in a good spot where they can let flacco play for another year or 2 if his play warrants it. Its not like Jackson was taking #1 overall. IMO the longer Jackson sits and learns the better long term

Agreed.  Also, it would likely indicate that we're getting good production from the position in the short-term.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want everyone here except for @paraven to do me a favor and dislike this video. I mean Tim Tebow? And then to cap it all off, he says one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. “I just don’t see him it as a sustainable 15 year starting quarterback in the league”

No dipstick, Sherlock. I mean, not counting the injury year, Tom Brady has only started for 16 seasons and Peyton Manning for 17 seasons. Eli Manning and Big Ben are at 14 seasons and knocking at retirements door. Phillip Rivers sat behind Brees for two seasons and is at 12 years. Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco, and Matt Ryan are all only 10 year starters in the league and they’re some of the longest tenured options.

For him to act like 15 years starting is a standard amount of years for a career is absurd. He only says 15 years because it protects anyone from calling this crap out down the line if Jackson goes onto become a 13 year starter with 3 SB wins, 2 career MVPs, and multiple All Pros on his way to a gold jacket. “Well he didn’t make it to 15 years starting”?‍♀️

Cowherd doesn't know anything about sports. He's just a talking head. 

If guys like Cowherd and Bayless actually knew sports, their takes wouldn't get as much attention. What's funny too is I know he doesn't make a lot of money. FS1 doesn't pay well, and now cause he's there he thinks he's all in with the MMA guys it's hilarious. 

Archived