Jump to content
wackywabbit

2018 Ravens 1st Round Draft Pick (#32) - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

Recommended Posts

I have to think it will be impressed upon Lamar just how special it is to be the final first round pick of Ozzie Newsome from people around him, in the organization, and even around the league. Especially as a black QB. Ozzie will have a movie made about him some day, or at least a big part focused on him in a drama, and Lamar could be a climactic scene in that work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope we don't completely screw up his development. This first year is crucial to get him some time to work on the practice squad and improve his accuracy. The signing of RGIII now that I think about it may even mean that Jackson won't be suited up on gamedays while they develop him and mold him as the future. I'm excited to see where this takes us, and I'm very happy that he will sit and grow for at least a year and then we unleash him when he's ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

The signing of RGIII now that I think about it may even mean that Jackson won't be suited up on gamedays while they develop him and mold him as the future. I'm excited to see where this takes us, and I'm very happy that he will sit and grow for at least a year and then we unleash him when he's ready.

No, he's too dynamic to not be activated if Flacco goes down. He'll also have packages to take advantage of that dynamism even if he's not the starter. lol Something tells me our preseason games will get a little bump in ratings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope the Ravens go all in on building the team around Lamar.  A year on the bench is probably good for him, as they need to invest a lot more in players who are good in space - Percy Harvin types - to put him in a position to thrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, this was a surprise. I wasn't a fan of taking Jackson at #16 (though I'd definitely have taken him ahead of Hurst at #25). But taking him at the end of the first round is a pretty good deal. Especially since I was speculating to myself that the Giants were sure to take him in the second round.

Where does he fit in? Well, I guess the Ravens have a season to coach him on the things he really needs to get better at. Are the coaches they have the right ones to do that? I hope so. He's obviously a dynamic playmaker, and the future should be bright if they can take their time and get him ready.

But one thing I'm dreading? The cries of "put Jackson in!!!" from fans (and probably from some pundits) the first time Joe throws a pick... hell, the first time he throws an incomplete pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mancunian Raven said:

Are the coaches they have the right ones to do that? I hope so.

With the exception of the one year with Kubiak et al, I think the offensive coaching staff this year is probably the best prepared to do so in the 10 years I've been a fan since Jim Zorn was on staff early in Flacco's career

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

alright, well after collecting my thought, I can get onboard with the pick. Especially considering it was essentially a 2nd round flyer. It might be a bit more the I would have given up to move up to 32, but if he can develop into what people say, then yea it was a good move. I still think he sits 2 years, but if we can do the farve to rodgers move like the packers did then this is a huge win. I honestly and im still more upset they passed on DJ Moore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alfalcone said:

I really hope the Ravens go all in on building the team around Lamar.  A year on the bench is probably good for him, as they need to invest a lot more in players who are good in space - Percy Harvin types - to put him in a position to thrive.

I am thinking Keke Coutee now makes more sense than he did before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Danand said:

I am thinking Keke Coutee now makes more sense than he did before.

Anthony Miller too, although his hands are a concern that the team might be worried about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coordinator0 said:

Anthony Miller too, although his hands are a concern that the team might be worried about.

Despite the hands, I am still very much in favor of getting Miller on the team. The rate of drops would be equal to the rates where he got free to catch the ball compared to other WR's who wouldn't get the seperation Miller does. (don't think that sentence made much sense)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mancunian Raven said:

But one thing I'm dreading? The cries of "put Jackson in!!!" from fans (and probably from some pundits) the first time Joe throws a pick... hell, the first time he throws an incomplete pass.

Flacco needs this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im still concerned over the fact the pats had two private workouts with him and are obviously in need of a QB and passed on him twice in the late 1st... What do they know that the ravens dont?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, paraven said:

im still concerned over the fact the pats had two private workouts with him and are obviously in need of a QB and passed on him twice in the late 1st... What do they know that the ravens dont?

I don't get why you put that much trust in them. Sure they are a smart organization, but so are we. They are having unprecedented success mostly becuase they lucked into the greatest player of all time on a late flier. More recently, they completely ignored pass rush and had no idea how to stop Nick Foles or even Bortles. They also completely botched the handling of Jimmy G as an asset.

I honestly believe they were smoke-screening with the Jackson visit. The only thing that makes sense for them is to win now and milk out another SB before Brady is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×