2018 Ravens 1st Round Draft Pick (#32) - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

wackywabbit

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

He’s WAY more accurate than Vick and without the character problems 

Gonna be the 2nd best QB in AFC after Watson

Might be the first. By the time he comes in he will have gotten the Aaron Rodgers treatment. His feet and base will be much improved.

The more important thing though, is that I think he has underrated durability. For all the rushing he’s done, he’s protected himself well and when he does get hit, he continues to get back up. His frame might be smaller, but it’s dense.

@paraven I know you think it sucks, I wanted blood after we picked Elam, but don't let it get you too down. It's a waste of energy. The Ravens are taking a very cheap shot at a QB of the future, and one that has a few guaranteed elite traits that will keep our offense capable of moving the ball down the field even if he isn't the best thrower. This will fill the stadium back up, take pressure of the QB search for a couple years, and really just breathe a little life into the organization. We'll see if it works out, maybe it will, maybe it won't, but we're taking a shot.

15 minutes ago, paraven said:

flacco will be QB for at least 3 years... book it.Jackson isnt nfl ready and wont be for a while

Brett Favre was QB for three years before Rodgers took over. If Flacco is QBing for that long, we’re having great playoff success and his stats are at career highs and slecting a QB will have lit the appropriate fire under his tail.

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Might be the first. By the time he comes in he will have gotten the Aaron Rodgers treatment. 

Wouldn’t be so sure. I have faith in joe but if he has a couple games like the London debacle it wouldn’t shock me at all if he gets pulled 

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Oh I believe Flacco is going to ball this year. He will thrive with the heat of the the first round generational athlete behind him at every step. That's what Joe Cool does. Just like we all know that he may not be the guy to bring 100% when the stakes are relatively low. There is no downside to having too much good at the most important position in the game.

^Reposting from the other thread. This is perfect for Flacco too. That pressure on Flacco will likely improve us in the short term as much as rookie who would see the field. It's going to be a low 2nd next year, watch.

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

@paraven I know you think it sucks, I wanted blood after we picked Elam, but don't let it get you too down. It's a waste of energy. The Ravens are taking a very cheap shot at a QB of the future, and one that has a few guaranteed elite traits that will keep our offense capable of moving the ball down the field even if he isn't the best thrower. This will fill the stadium back up, take pressure of the QB search for a couple years, and really just breathe a little life into the organization. We'll see if it works out, maybe it will, maybe it won't, but we're taking a shot.

im just mad we gave up 2 2nd round picks, and didnt get a wr. Now were looking at a wr in the 3rd at earliest. just stupid move in my opinion. but we shall see how it works out. i hope im wrong, obviously would rather see the team win

Louis Riddick is so smart (especially when he makes a point I made): People don't seem to realize that Jackson was playing in a sophisticated dropback, pro-style offense in college when he dominated with a terrible supporting cast. It was the first overall pick who was playing in the gimmick offense.

4 minutes ago, paraven said:

im just mad we gave up 2 2nd round picks, and didnt get a wr. Now were looking at a wr in the 3rd at earliest. just stupid move in my opinion. but we shall see how it works out. i hope im wrong, obviously would rather see the team win

To be fair the team only gave up one second round pick when it comes down to it. The pick at 32 cancels out 52, and the marginal trade down in the 4th from 125 to 132 isn't really worth noting. So the 2019 2nd round pick is the cost of doing business moving up 20 spots and getting the 5th year option.

33 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Why trade up so far? I'm not sure they had to. Were the Giants a threat to take him??

Yes. Also, trade activity is wild at the top of the second round every year. Then there's the 5th year option bit. It was a move the Ravens basically needed to make if they wanted Jackson.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

Louis Riddick is so smart (especially when he makes a point I made): People don't seem to realize that Jackson was playing in a sophisticated dropback, pro-style offense in college when he dominated with a terrible supporting cast. It was the first overall pick who was playing in the gimmick offense.

Yeah, I don't see where this "he lacks football IQ" thing comes from?  Is it just because he's a dual-threat QB with some serious rushing ability?

He needs to work on his footwork and stepping into his throws more (which he'll have time to do), but he's already got the arm strength and accuracy to make all the throws necessary in the NFL.  And ideally he'd put on 10+ lbs of muscle.

6 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:
11 minutes ago, paraven said:

To be fair the team only gave up one second round pick when it comes down to it. The pick at 32 cancels out 52, and the marginal trade down in the 4th from 125 to 132 isn't really worth noting. So the 2019 2nd round pick is the cost of doing business moving up 20 spots and getting the 5th year option

Yep, and 65 is a great spot to draft a WR imo.  I could easily see Anthony Miller, James Washington, DJ Chark and Deon Cain all being there at the pick

I haven't been this happy with a high(ish) Ravens draft pick in a long time. Closest I can think of was being pretty content with Stanley at 6. Wasn't mad about Jimmy at 27 either (should have been 26 but shenanigans ensued).

Lamar just brings something different. Something the Ravens desperately needed. Maybe not his running ability in particular, but just pure change on the offensive side of the ball. Obviously it's not going to happen overnight, but he should see the field some before he eventually takes over from Flacco. 

Baltimore bringing in a real QB coach and then Griffin as a backup seems to have foreshadowed their interest in Jackson. Or any QB prospect. Regardless, they're coming into this prepared. I'm so hyped. 

You could do a lot worse than having a Super Bowl winning QB, his replacement in the pipeline. A Franchise left tackle that has shown above average play. With young corners and pass rushers dripping. Our STs is aced out, Pees is gone, and our offense can only go up. We should all feel good.

Archived