Yo Denzel Ward

Bonanza23

54 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Manning was drafted 20 years ago, Big Ben 14, Ryan 10.  Not sure what point you’re trying to make here

DeShaun Watson was drafted last year. Cam was drafted recently. Wentz, with his "long" throwing motion was drafted three years ago.

My point is, drafting guys high with a mechanical issue/footwork issue/turnover issues isn't abnormal and has proven to have major success in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

DeShaun Watson was drafted last year. Cam was drafted recently. Wentz, with his "long" throwing motion was drafted three years ago.

My point is, drafting guys high with a mechanical issue/footwork issue/turnover issues isn't abnormal and has proven to have major success in the NFL.

and major failures
see deshone kizer.

I don’t think anyone is of the opinion that Ward isn’t a very good CB. I think that debate is the use of a #4 pick asset and Ward in relation to what could be had later. If Ward is a lockdown CB, great. They play in a division with Antonio Brown on the other sideline twice a year. I don’t think he’s Marshon or certainly not Ramsey, but I do like him. I do hope it was BPA and not strictly positional. I just wonder if we could have still gotten him several picks later and gotten some capital. We know Denver ran to the stage for Chubb.

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I don’t think anyone is of the opinion that Ward isn’t a very good CB. I think that debate is the use of a #4 pick asset and Ward in relation to what could be had later.

I ❤️ you.

If Ward is a lockdown CB, great. They play in a division with Antonio Brown on the other sideline twice a year.

Yep.  Of course they play in a division with AJ Green too and he’s 5 inches and 30 lbs heavier than Ward.  Hope he’s up to the challenge.

I don’t think he’s Marshon

Me either.

or certainly not Ramsey

? oh hell no.

, but I do like him.

Me too.

I do hope it was BPA and not strictly positional. I just wonder if we could have still gotten him several picks later and gotten some capital. We know Denver ran to the stage for Chubb.

Agreed.

To take it a step further, how much better is Ward the some of the other top CB’s, like Hughes, Alexander, Jackson, etc? Is he that much better of a prospect, at sub 5’11 and 183lbs to turn down a package of picks?  Idk...

30 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He’s going to be a stud. He has no major weakness aside from his size. Which isn’t that small. Brett freaking hundley tore our secondary up last year. His presence is desperately needed. 

That was more of a product of Gregg Williams not wanting to press, he hated our CBs last year. We will challange pretty much every corner this year, and it should help our pass rush a bit.

As far as Ward, what more can you ask for? We had a greater need at CB so we took the best cover corner back in the draft. He doesn't need to be anyone but Denzel Ward. And an instant comp I just thought about him is Darrell Green

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

That was more of a product of Gregg Williams not wanting to press, he hated our CBs last year. We will challange pretty much every corner this year, and it should help our pass rush a bit.

As far as Ward, what more can you ask for? We had a greater need at CB so we took the best cover corner back in the draft. 

We needed a WR in 2016 and took the “best one in the draft”, who (at least athletically) is a mirror image of Ward.

Of course that was at 15 or whatever after securing a slew of assets, but I digress.

I guess my point is just because he’s the top rated player in the draft doesn’t mean he’s a great prospect.  He’s no Ramsey or Peterson, the only other top 5 CB’s taken in the last 14 years, imo, at least as far as prospects.

It just feels like a bit of a reach based on need.

Not to say he can help or be good, but I don’t feel like we got the most bang for our buck if you will.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We needed a WR in 2016 and took the “best one in the draft”, who (at least athletically) is a mirror image of Ward.

Of course that was at 15 or whatever after securing a slew of assets, but I digress.

I guess my point is just because he’s the top rated player in the draft doesn’t mean he’s a great prospect.  He’s no Ramsey or Peterson, the only other top 5 CB’s taken in the last 14 years, imo, at least as far as prospects.

It just feels like a bit of a reach based on need.

Not to say he can help or be good, but I don’t feel like we got the most bang for our buck if you will.

Trust me, I was there with you, I was hoping Chubb (which you guys eventually convinced me) . I just chose to look at the positives, ,I know we could have traded down and got a comparable guy but we took the best, we were terrible in coverage, he statistically and eye test wise was the best, we took him, time to move forward in my book. Just yesterday and previous years we used to whine about not getting cute and staying where we are and select good players, we did

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

One of the best lol.

id hope he would be the best.

Lol I mean, you took him 4th overall, so you should probably at least give him a ringing endorsement as his now HC. Dude just gets better and better. 

Archived