Surprises and Shockers from Round #1

Duke5217

Surprises...

1) Kolton Miller going top 15.

2) Ward as the first Defensive Player selected.

3) McGlinchey going top 10.

4) Mayfield as the first QB.

5) Ragnow going top 20.

Shockers...

1) Penny as the 2nd RB and going 1st round. Thought he was a late 2 at best. 

2) Terrell Edmunds (Safety) going1st round - thought he was a 3rd round guy at best. 

3) New Orleans giving up next years 1st to get a solid but still developing DE from Texas San Antonio.

4) How cheap the trades were. Arizona moving up to 10 and keeping their 2nd. Green Bay moving from 27 to 18 and keeping their 2nd as well shocked me. (Buffalo giving up both 2nd rounders to go up 5 spots the exception here, that was an over pay by a lot, and they took the wrong QB in my opinion.) 

Thoughts? 

Surprises: 

1. Mayfield getting drafted first and Darnold falling to the Jets. 

2. Ward picked over Chubb. 

3. Niners getting McGlinchey. I thought they'd get a defensive player. I was worried they and Oakland could ruin Miami's chances of getting a good defensive player.

4. Buffalo trading up into the first round for Edmunds.

5. Baltimore picking a TE over a WR. 

Shockers: 

1. The Raiders passing on James and Edmunds for Miller. 

2. How cheap the trade ups were. Nobody really had to give up a ton to move up.

3. Edmunds and James falling out of the top 15. 

4. Penny going first and before Michel.

5. The Saints after a great draft last year doing a very strange trade up for a raw pass rusher in Davenport. 

Surprises

1. Baker Mayfield and Denzel Ward to Cleveland

2. Roquan Smith to Chicago

3. Minkah Fitzpatrick to Miami

4. Tampa Bay finessed their pick for Vea and additional early rounders.

5. Ozzie Newsome went out with a bang!

Shockers

1. Saints move up to not select a QB.

2. Derwin James slips.

3. Terrell Edmunds with the biggest leap.

4. Sony Michel still goes in round 1 after injury report.

5. Harold Landry still available .

Raise your hand if you think Buffalo overpaid? I thought so. By the book, they paid enough to trade with Cleveland at #4 and get a 4th rounder as change. Buffalo SERIOUSLY overpaid.

The Cardinals did much better. Contrary to some statements, the Saints did not pay QB rates to draft Davenport. That one was quite close to book.

J

Denzel Ward at 4 i did not even remotely expect.  I knew there were rumours a lot of teams liked him a ton, but to be the first defensive player off the board...that caught me completely off guard.  The Penny to Seattle was my "what on earth?" moment for the 1st round though.  I don't get it at all, from a "value" standpoint, or even just from a teambuilding perspective.

There were some other things that would've been surprising, if not for the rumour mill churning out serious hints the last few days.

11 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Raise your hand if you think Buffalo overpaid? I thought so. By the book, they paid enough to trade with Cleveland at #4 and get a 4th rounder as change. Buffalo SERIOUSLY overpaid.

The Cardinals did much better. Contrary to some statements, the Saints did not pay QB rates to draft Davenport. That one was quite close to book.

J

Denver would've gotten this haul (or a little more) if Cleveland had taken Chubb.

So thanks, Cleveland.

13 hours ago, Duke5217 said:

Surprises...

1) Kolton Miller going top 15.

2) Ward as the first Defensive Player selected.

3) McGlinchey going top 10.

4) Mayfield as the first QB.

5) Ragnow going top 20.

Shockers...

1) Penny as the 2nd RB and going 1st round. Thought he was a late 2 at best. 

2) Terrell Edmunds (Safety) going1st round - thought he was a 3rd round guy at best. 

3) New Orleans giving up next years 1st to get a solid but still developing DE from Texas San Antonio.

4) How cheap the trades were. Arizona moving up to 10 and keeping their 2nd. Green Bay moving from 27 to 18 and keeping their 2nd as well shocked me. (Buffalo giving up both 2nd rounders to go up 5 spots the exception here, that was an over pay by a lot, and they took the wrong QB in my opinion.) 

Thoughts? 

I agree with all of your shockers.

I heard the Saints and Packers were working on a deal if Denzel Ward, McGlinchey, and Fitzpatrick were gone but I assumed they would get at least the Saints 1st/3rd and future 1st.  So when the trade occurred I was kind of disappointed.  Then I found out we traded our 3rd to move up 9 spots and was amazed.

Basically, the Packers traded down 4 spots.....took the guy they wanted at 14 (after Denzel Ward, McGlinchey, and Fitzpatrick) and flipped a 3rd/7th for a 5th/6th/future first.  Not sure who the Saints thought were so high on Davenport, but my gut feeling is they could have made the same move with Seattle that GB took and kept their future 1st. 

Denzel Ward made a lot of sense to me tbh, for a variety of reasons.  Browns have Garrett and Ogbah, so I can see why they passed on Chubb.  While you can never have enough pass rushers, a part-time player at #4 just didn't add up.  I'm also a big fan of Denzel Ward.  Think he'll be an elite corner.  If he does, I don't see the issue of taking him #4 overall...

Archived