Surprises and Shockers from Round #1

Duke5217

13 hours ago, Lilseb93 said:

Surprises: 

1. Mayfield getting drafted first and Darnold falling to the Jets. 

2. Ward picked over Chubb. 

3. Niners getting McGlinchey. I thought they'd get a defensive player. I was worried they and Oakland could ruin Miami's chances of getting a good defensive player.

4. Buffalo trading up into the first round for Edmunds.

5. Baltimore picking a TE over a WR. 

Shockers: 

1. The Raiders passing on James and Edmunds for Miller. 

2. How cheap the trade ups were. Nobody really had to give up a ton to move up.

3. Edmunds and James falling out of the top 15. 

4. Penny going first and before Michel.

5. The Saints after a great draft last year doing a very strange trade up for a raw pass rusher in Davenport. 

Baltimore needed a tight end more than they needed a receiver.

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I think there were numerous borderline shockers--my 9ers choosing McGlinchey among them--but I think the Saints shocked me the most. 

I don't really think it was a shocker, there was rumors the entire week we might pick McG. I just don't think we wanted to believe it since we thought there was better value available. 

I really don't think NOLA's pick was "showcking", more the cost of the trade. Davenport was picked in the area he was expected to go from everything I could read. Not to happy about giving up next years first, but if he can make an impact and help us get over the hump...I'll forget easily.

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Denzel Ward made a lot of sense to me tbh, for a variety of reasons.  Browns have Garrett and Ogbah, so I can see why they passed on Chubb.  While you can never have enough pass rushers, a part-time player at #4 just didn't add up.  I'm also a big fan of Denzel Ward.  Think he'll be an elite corner.  If he does, I don't see the issue of taking him #4 overall...

I cant remember which analyst said it but they basically made the point that in a few years they need to renew these 2 contracts and if they took Chubb that would be a crazy amount of money invested in one group. You can never have enough pass rushers but some of them need to be role players.Same way you want a decent backup at QB but you cant just have like Brady and Brees on the same team (I know this is a ridiculous example but you get my point haha)

Archived