Options for 2nd Round Pick

e16bball

I always think one of the most fun things about the new draft format is resetting the draft board in between Rounds 1 and 2 and giving fans (and obviously the teams) the chance to mull their options and strategies overnight. 

For the Redskins, that means evaluating and ranking our top 12 guys left on the board. Here’s the top 15 (in the order I had them) for my Redskins-specific big board:

1. OG Will Hernandez

2. EDGE Harold Landry

3. RB Derrius Guice

4. C James Daniels

5. CB Josh Jackson

6. RB Nick Chubb

7. CB Donte Jackson

8. RB Ronald Jones

9. S Justin Reid

10. DT Harrison Phillips

11. S Jessie Bates

12. CB Isaiah Oliver

13. WR Christian Kirk

14. OL Connor Williams

15. EDGE Lorenzo Carter

If I was going back to adjust the board based on the Payne pick, obviously I would drop Harrison Phillips off. Probably would prioritize offensive options a little more, maybe bump Connor Williams up a fair amount (I think he could be an outstanding OG) and maybe add a couple other OL like Martinas Rankin, Austin Corbett, and Braden Smith in place of some of the DBs. 

What are your thoughts on your short Board for the day 2 pick?

I want nothing to do with drafting an OLB in the 2nd round again. That would make 3 of the last 4 drafts we took an OLB in round 2 and that other year McCloughan took Sua. This is how I feel about Maurice Hurst too if he’s available. It’s hard to pass on such a talent but continuing to draft the same positions over and over doesn’t make the overall team better.

I just hope it’s Guice, Hernandez, Jones, Josh Jackson or Chubb.

29 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I always think one of the most fun things about the new draft format is resetting the draft board in between Rounds 1 and 2 and giving fans (and obviously the teams) the chance to mull their options and strategies overnight. 

For the Redskins, that means evaluating and ranking our top 12 guys left on the board. Here’s the top 15 (in the order I had them) for my Redskins-specific big board:

1. OG Will Hernandez

2. EDGE Harold Landry

3. RB Derrius Guice

4. C James Daniels

5. CB Josh Jackson

6. RB Nick Chubb

7. CB Donte Jackson

8. RB Ronald Jones

9. S Justin Reid

10. DT Harrison Phillips

11. S Jessie Bates

12. CB Isaiah Oliver

13. WR Christian Kirk

14. OL Connor Williams

15. EDGE Lorenzo Carter

If I was going back to adjust the board based on the Payne pick, obviously I would drop Harrison Phillips off. Probably would prioritize offensive options a little more, maybe bump Connor Williams up a fair amount (I think he could be an outstanding OG) and maybe add a couple other OL like Martinas Rankin, Austin Corbett, and Braden Smith in place of some of the DBs. 

What are your thoughts on your short Board for the day 2 pick?

The names that stand out to me on this list are (in order):

1.  OG Will Hernandez

2. OLB Harold Landry

3. CB Josh Jackson

4. RB Derrius Guice

5. OC James Daniels

1. Arden Key

2. Donte Jackson

3. DJ Clark

4. Guice

No bias because a couple may be LSU guys. But Arden would of been a top 10 pick. Broke the LSU sack record, MOUNTAINS of talent. Sacked Lamar Jackson twice in the Citrus Bowl. Yes he left the program on his own to check himself into a drug rehab center. But I dont think that plays into much effect. He wont up and Ricky Williams us, and doubt he gets in any trouble for puffin like other members of our team seems to do.

LG Hernandez or C James or OT moved to OG Crosby even if they believe TY is our LG. The auburn kid is pretty good prospect Smith. Smith and Crosby imost flexible can play 4 positions well but H and J are high prospects at their positions

If they are gone big decision- grab chub or trade: back to late 2 and hopefully package a 4 to get back in third round and take the best RB in round 2 (chub might fall or  ballage or Royce) and best interior OL in round 3. Please don’t draft  quisenberry, gets zero movement and got his QB hit numerous times on whiffs. I’m amazed after watching many of his games people consider him an mfl talent. 

We miss that third round pick. 

My preference we keep building our lines 

11 picks to go... so my top 11 are:

Derrius Guice (still calling him a top 20 talent)

Will Hernandez (top 30 beast of an OG)

James Daniels (value and IOL need meet)

Josh Jackson (pure value and possible need)

Harold Landry (pure value and probably eliminates the worry and cost of keeping Smith)

Ronnie Harrison (value, and if they want a hybrid S/Nickel LB for the 70% of snaps)

Dallas Goedert (ridiculous talent forces Sprinkle to fight for a roster spot as TE4, and ensures the TE starter position as strong)

Anthony Miller (strong value, makes sure the WR position is well stocked)

Ronald Jones II (baby Jamaal Charles!)Isaiah Oliver (value and possible need)

Courtland Sutton (strong value, makes sure the WR position is well stocked)

DJ Chark (strong value, makes sure the WR position is well stocked)

Sam Hubbard (pure value and probably eliminates the worry and cost of keeping Smith)

Braden Smith (bit of a stretch, but I like him as a technician OG with potential versatility)

MIke Gesicki (strong talent forces Sprinkle to fight for a roster spot as TE4, and ensures the TE starter position is strong)

Any of these guys would be a    :)  .

Did a quick 2nd rounder for fun, so here's how I see it unfolding...

2nd Round Mock

33. Cleveland – Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU

34. NYG – James Daniels, OC, Iowa

35. Cleveland – Connor Williams, OG/OT, Texas

36. Indianapolis – Harold Landry, DE/OLB, BC

37. Indianapolis – Ronald Jones II, RB, USC

38. Tampa Bay – Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

39. Chicago – Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP

40. Denver – Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis

41. Oakland – Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford

42. Miami – Dallas Goedert, TE, SDS

43. New England – Mason Rudolph, QB, Ok St

44. Washington – Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia

45. Green Bay – Austin Corbett, OG, Nevada

46. Cincy – Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State

47. Arizona – DJ Chalk, WR, LSU

48. LAC – BJ Hill, DT, NC State

49. Indianapolis – Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa

50. Dallas – Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M

51. Detroit – Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State

52. Philadelphia – Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon

53. Tampa Bay – Justin Reid, S, Stanford

54. Kansas City – Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia

55. Carolina – Braden Smith, OG, Auburn

56. Tampa Bay – James Washington, WR, Ok St

57. Tennessee - Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, USC

58. Atlanta – Mo Hurst DT, Michigan

59. San Francisco – Donte Jackson, CB, LSU

60. Pittsburgh – Micah Kiser, ILB, UVA

61. Jax – Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond

62. Minnesota – Rasheem Green, DE, USC

63. New England – Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma

64. Cleveland – Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn

17 minutes ago, Slateman said:

If they take an offensive lineman in the second round, it needs to be a Center,  or an athletic but raw LT.

But we don't have a LG?

Edit: Unless your plan is for Nseke to move to LG, and the young OT is your swing backup, but I'd rather get that in the 4th maybe...

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

But we don't have a LG?

Edit: Unless your plan is for Nseke to move to LG, and the young OT is your swing backup, but I'd rather get that in the 4th maybe...

Play the draft pick at LG for a year or two, then swap him and Trent. Or have them ready to take over for Trent when he gets hurt. Again.

Archived