Round two who goes to who

49erurtaza

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If you didn't have a 2.49 pick, I'd agree with your point on RB. 

Just consider this:

2.36 & 2.37 - you go Jackson CB and say Landry, or Hurst.  Can you get a Landry/Hurst or Jackson-level talent at 2.49?  Or even close?  I don't see it.

2.49 - Guice may not be there.  But Nick Chubb, Ronald Jones (who I don't really want TBH, but CW loves him here for some reason) likely will be.   If not them, John Kelly / Ballage / Walton / K-Johnson (another violent runner) / Freeman should be there in Rd3+.   Just such a smaller talent dropoff compared to the dropoff from Landry/Hurst for DL or Jackson at CB.

FWIW, given how many picks CLE has, I wouldn't be surprised if they make it moot and take Guice with 2.35 (won't need to worry about NYG going RB at 2.34 lol, so they scoop Conor Williams at T 2.33).    Frankly, I think that's a blessing in your case.

Depth (or lack thereof) of particular position groups does add an interesting wrinkle to the BPA discussion.  I'm basically a BPA purist and would take the #1 guy on my board regardless, but I wonder how much teams take it into account.

Anyway like I said I'd pick Landry and Hurst in a heartbeat (no pun intended), but these guys have no business being on the board so their medical concerns must be pretty real.  But as long as we don't do something dumb like take Malik Jefferson, we're gonna get a couple of stud players no matter who CLE/NY take.

9 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I've got Connor Williams going #33.

The Chargers I think end up with some combo of Jerome Baker, Derek Nnadi, Deadrin Senat, Tyrell Crosby, Rasheem Green, or Uchena Nwosu.

Rams I think end up with some combo of Okoronkwo, Jewell, Kiser, or Cappa.

Do you think you'll target Settle in Rd3?  Or go quick/fast with a Hurst or Greene for interior DL?  

It seems like ILB can wait until Rd 3-4, but beefing up the interior DL would be the only other major hole to your near-elite D.

5 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Got an eery feeling Chargers are taking Kyle Lauletta somewhere on day two. 

Maybe, but the contact I have that has an insider in the Chargers draft room (fairly certain his contact is a scout, but it might be Ricky Henne the chief media guy) said point blank that the interest in Mason Rudolph is non-existent and that they're really focused in on DT's and LB's.  They were legitimately set to select Taven Bryan at #17 (and had him higher than their board than Vea and Payne) and changed the pick last minute when Derwin was available.  Then they were trying to do a deal with Minnesota at #30 to trade up and go get Bryan when Jacksonville took him a pick ahead.

DT's pretty noteworthy on their list and Bryan wasn't even a guy they brought in for a visit - which is why I could see someone like Nnadi, Settle or Hurst getting a look even though none of them were visited with.  Senat is the next highest DT after Vea they had a visit with (and that's not quite the tell-tale sign in the 1st where Telesco's concerned that it has been in the middle rounds), and I won't be surprised to see them dig at a possible diamond in the rough in UCF's Antonio Guerad who clearly wouldn't go until Day 3.  Justin Jones is someone I could see them taking slightly ahead of schedule the way the did Rayshawn Jenkins last year too.  I'm not the biggest fan of his, but he definitely fits that Bradley mold of DL.  Nwosu was someone I was hearing they were in on as a possible 2nd round pick almost a month ago.  I hate his instincts, but it's possible they're looking at him more as an off-ball LB rather than the less-than-instinctive EDGE that a lot of other folks are.  The same guy who filled me in on Rudolph had said that more or less the Chargers' interest in Lamar was a ton of smoke trying to force out a trade up (which would make sense if they were really honed in a Bryan and his value was definitely not 17th overall; plus I can see them wanting to load up on picks for next year to have ammo to put that successor behind Phillip, but outside of Mayfield and Darnold - Rosen wasn't mobile enough for what Lynn wants at the position - it sounds like they weren't terribly keen on most of the QB's in this class.

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Do you think you'll target Settle in Rd3?  Or go quick/fast with a Hurst or Greene for interior DL?  

It seems like ILB can wait until Rd 3-4, but beefing up the interior DL would be the only other major hole to your near-elite D.

If it's me, I'm targeting Settle or Nnadi.

Given that Telesco and company had a man-crush on Taven Bryan that's where I'm projecting them to probably have more of a Jones for Green (who they worked out) or Hurst.  I just look at their roster and see a glut of 3-tech and 5-techs among the DT's and not many 1- and 2-techs outside of an aging (and fading) Mebane and Damion Square.  Telesco is renown for his post-draft vet signings (he usually has one great one every year so that could be a nod towards someone like Jonathan Hankins), but I can also see them thinking they can make someone a bit undersized like Justin Jones into a workable nose.

If they pull a surprise pick in the 2nd though, I won't be shocked by Dallas Goedert.  Gates wasn't re-signed, they brought in Virgil Green as a blocking TE, but there are no-names behind those two.

13 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Maybe, but the contact I have that has an insider in the Chargers draft room (fairly certain his contact is a scout, but it might be Ricky Henne the chief media guy) said point blank that the interest in Mason Rudolph is non-existent and that they're really focused in on DT's and LB's.  They were legitimately set to select Taven Bryan at #17 (and had him higher than their board than Vea and Payne) and changed the pick last minute when Derwin was available.  Then they were trying to do a deal with Minnesota at #30 to trade up and go get Bryan when Jacksonville took him a pick ahead.

DT's pretty noteworthy on their list and Bryan wasn't even a guy they brought in for a visit - which is why I could see someone like Nnadi, Settle or Hurst getting a look even though none of them were visited with. 

The same guy who filled me in on Rudolph had said that more or less the Chargers' interest in Lamar was a ton of smoke trying to force out a trade up (which would make sense if they were really honed in a Bryan and his value was definitely not 17th overall; plus I can see them wanting to load up on picks for next year to have ammo to put that successor behind Phillip, but outside of Mayfield and Darnold - Rosen wasn't mobile enough for what Lynn wants at the position - it sounds like they weren't terribly keen on most of the QB's in this class.

I have to say, that QB interest angle never made any sense to me - you guys are in your window to win now, LAC is fighting for the hearts and minds of LA fans in a fickle market, and you have to create positive mojo pre-stadium.   Developmental QB never made any sense whatsoever.   It seemed like one of the most transparent smokescreens ever.   Turns out it paid off, though - can't believe James fell to you guys.  I still think LAC would have nearly matched NO's draft if they went Hooker last year instead of Mike Williams at 1.7 - but this really shored up S in a big way.   

Now, it turns out that 5-8 teams suddenly decided need was way more important than BPA, if not more teams.  Trust me, DEN has been doing that for far too long.  What's striking is how crazy some of the reaches were.   I love Penny but there is no way he's a Round 1 talent.   I get SEA didn't have a pick until 76...but you let him go if he goes.   Same for Terrell Edmunds.   So you have a pretty deep Rd 2-3 to address both DL and ILB.  I think that's where you guys go, then address developmental T in Rd 4.  Telesco strikes me as someone who really pays attention to the board, and it's been to your team's benefit.   I don't see that changing much tomorrow.  Hats off.

33. Tyrell Crosby, CLE

34. Will Hernandez, NYG

35. Christian Kirk, CLE

36. Harold Landry, IND

37. Isaiah Oliver, IND

38. Derrius Guice, TB

39. Courtland Sutton, CHI

40. Josh Jackson, DEN

41. Dallas Goedert, OAK

42. Mark Andrews, MIA

43. Mason Rudolph, NE

44. Justin Reid, WAS

45. Dante Pettis, GB

46. Rasheem Green, CIN

47. Anthony Miller, ARI

48. Harrison Phillips, LAC

49. Fred Warner, IND

50. Ronnie Harrison, DAL

51. Mike Gesicki, DET

52. Donte Jackson, PHI

53. Ronald Jones, TB

54. Carlton Davis, KC

55. James Daniels, CAR

56. Sam Hubbard, TB

57. Connor Williams, TEN

58. Nathan Shepherd, ATL

59. Josey Jewell, SF

60. James Washington, PIT

61. Braden Smith, JAX

62. Lorenzo Carter, MIN

63. De'Shawn Hand, NE

64. Kerryon Johnson, CLE

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Top players left on my board:-

* Will Hernandez

* Maurice Hurst

* Derrius Guice

* Anthony Miller

* James Daniels

* Josh Jackson

* Dallas Goedart

* Lorenzo Carter

* Ronnie Harrison

* Nick Chubb

* Braden Smith

* Justin Reid

* Courtland Sutton

* Christian Kirk

* Connor Williams

* Sam Hubbard

* James Washington

* Carlton Davis

* Jessie Bates III

* Austin Corbett

* Dante Pettis

* Isaiah Oliver

Was so sure Landry would go 1st round, I forgot he didn't. BPA.

Personally, if I’m Cleveland – I take Landry with my first pick and then whichever tackle is available at their next sport (Williams, Crosby etc). Lot of people expected them to take Chubb for reasons that made sense (you can never have enough pass rushers), those reasons still apply.

14 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Personally, if I’m Cleveland – I take Landry with my first pick and then whichever tackle is available at their next sport (Williams, Crosby etc). Lot of people expected them to take Chubb for reasons that made sense (you can never have enough pass rushers), those reasons still apply.

After the Ward pick, Landry still being on the board for them to take is an absolute gift. 

So naturally they'll draft Ronnie Harrison. 

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

27 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

He’d probably be off the board by now if most NFL teams saw him that way.

With Crosby, O'Neill, Rankin and Brown, and then the developmental tier with guys like Parker/Harrison & Toth/Senat late, it could be people just don't see elite T talent, and are fine with waiting.   I can't remember who I was talking to about this, but the depth in Rd3-4 for guys if you are willing to wait is there.    Plus, let's face it, the knock about lack of power is a big flag to a lot of teams.  

I do think if there's any team that thinks he can do LT, they'll want to get him early.   I do agree that CLE will go T with 1 of their 2 picks.  I wonder if Landry is falling for medical or legal reasons - to be blunt, I had him as a top 20 guy in my Big Board, and in hindsight, no way do I spend a 2019 1st and more to get Davenport if I could have snagged Landry without paying that.   Maybe we'll hear more today or over the weekend.

Archived