Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
49erurtaza

Draft day 2 - Official discussion thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

The way the rumor has it is that we love Ateman, not sure where he goes but don't be surprised if he's one of our picks today or tomorrow.

Yeah I remember, that was one of the first rumors of receivers that we liked. I would assume (hope) later though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Yeah I remember, that was one of the first rumors of receivers that we liked. I would assume (hope) later though.

Should definitely be able to get him later yeah, would probably prefer Cobbs or a TE to him though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Any thoughts (or rumors) on who we could possibly eye in the second or covet? I wonder if we'll actually stay put since we had some many high grades. Does OL become less of a need or since we technically just replaced Brown we could still go after a Guard early in the draft? I like the OL from Nevada, I think someone mentioned him already, but back to back OL picks? 

There's probably going to be a huge run on OL with the first couple of picks too. 

Edited by StevenK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Genard Avery would come in and be an instant starter at SAM, I hope he makes it to #59. 

I'm really conflicted on the SAM position. I really like Lorenzo Carter's fit as a SAM, but do we really want to use our 2nd round pick on a player that would realistically only play 30% of the snaps? We're in nickel almost 70% of the time, so using premium draft capital on a player that isn't going to play much is a tough pill to swallow. I feel like we can find a SAM LB lower in the draft or disregard it all together. Now MIKE and WILL are a different story. If we can get someone like Fred Warner in the 3rd, I would be very happy about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an Ateman fan. Would prefer Gallup/Pettis/St. Brown over him. Don't know that we will go WR tonight, though...wish I knew!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm really conflicted on the SAM position. I really like Lorenzo Carter's fit as a SAM, but do we really want to use our 2nd round pick on a player that would realistically only play 30% of the snaps? We're in nickel almost 70% of the time, so using premium draft capital on a player that isn't going to play much is a tough pill to swallow. I feel like we can find a SAM LB lower in the draft or disregard it all together. Now MIKE and WILL are a different story. If we can get someone like Fred Warner in the 3rd, I would be very happy about that.

I dont know if its as simple as he wont be on the field for 70% of defensive snaps because theres no doubt he's versitile enough to play all 3 backer spots. 

Eli Harold played 40% of the defensive snaps last year. Posluzney for Jax last year played 46%. Anthony Barr played 92%. All 3 were Strong side backers in a 4-3 scheme last year so I wouldn't diminish the value based off the preconceived notion that he's on the field 30% of the snaps. 

Edited by 48 1/2ers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I dont know if its as simple as he wont be on the field for 70% of defensive snaps because theres no doubt he's versitile enough to play all 3 backer spots. 

Eli Harold played 40% of the defensive snaps last year. Posluzney for Jax last year played 46%. Anthony Barr played 92%. All 3 were Strong side backers in a 4-3 scheme last year so I wouldn't diminish the value based off the preconceived notion that he's on the field 30% of the snaps. 

Anthony Barr is very different than the other two players you listed. Barr is a stud that can play all three downs and shouldn't come off the field. Harold and Posluzney are not Anthony Barr. If Avery can play SAM on base downs and be an edge rusher in the Nickel, then I feel better about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Not an Ateman fan. Would prefer Gallup/Pettis/St. Brown over him. Don't know that we will go WR tonight, though...wish I knew!

You misspelled Anthony MIller and DJ Chark... call yourself an educator.. pfffhhhh... Image result for child please gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Anthony Barr is very different than the other two players you listed. Barr is a stud that can play all three downs and shouldn't come off the field. Harold and Posluzney are not Anthony Barr. If Avery can play SAM on base downs and be an edge rusher in the Nickel, then I feel better about him. 

Shaq Thompson 64%, KJ Wright 86%, Jaylen Smith 55%, (i believe Nigel Bradham was SAM for the Eagles and he played 89%) Its not abnormal even in todays NFL to see these guys play all 3 downs. Ultimately it depends on the offensive schemes they go up against and sub packages they match up with. 

Bottom line is if Eli Harold doesn't have some legit competition from this draft, we blew it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Oldman on this one. The two receivers I like are D.J. Chalk and Anthony Miller. That said we might not go WR at all. I'd prefer an EDGE and a CB (Looking at you Sweat and Oliver). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Shaq Thompson 64%, KJ Wright 86%, Jaylen Smith 55%, (i believe Nigel Bradham was SAM for the Eagles and he played 89%) Its not abnormal even in todays NFL to see these guys play all 3 downs. Ultimately it depends on the offensive schemes they go up against and sub packages they match up with. 

Bottom line is if Eli Harold doesn't have some legit competition from this draft, we blew it. 

The important thing to note about all of those players you mentioned is that they all have coverage ability and can handle being a LB in nickel. Harold doesn't. If Avery can do that, then yes, he would be a great pick. I think we're thinking of two different types of players. I'm thinking of someone who would play SAM on base downs, then kick down to the line to rush off the edge in nickel. It sounds like you're thinking we would find someone who could play SAM on base downs and move over to WILL in nickel. I'm cool with finding someone who could do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so guys, what's the easy online availability of tonight's draft? I'm a techno moron (among others topics). I was thinking of watching the draft on a laptop while I drink and listen to music on my other laptop. Is there a quick and free site? like nfl.com or? 

#helpstoopit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

so guys, what's the easy online availability of tonight's draft? I'm a techno moron (among others topics). I was thinking of watching the draft on a laptop while I drink and listen to music on my other laptop. Is there a quick and free site? like nfl.com or? 

#helpstoopit

Sign up for sling it's free for 30 days and you can just watch it on ESPN on there website.

Edited by 49erurtaza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×