Draft day 2 - Official discussion thread

49erurtaza

I have to think we go interior OL either in the 4th or 5th round. Would be a shame if we don't come away with one in such a stacked class. Though I have a feeling Shanny will draft some athletic small school prospect.

Also, anyone all our questionable FA contracts and trade ups in the draft have been Shanny's guys? Juice Check, McKinnon, Williams, Beathard and now Pettis. Dude will do anything to get his guy. Let's see how it ends up working out. 

53 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I have to think we go interior OL either in the 4th or 5th round. Would be a shame if we don't come away with one in such a stacked class. Though I have a feeling Shanny will draft some athletic small school prospect.

Also, anyone all our questionable FA contracts and trade ups in the draft have been Shanny's guys? Juice Check, McKinnon, Williams, Beathard and now Pettis. Dude will do anything to get his guy. Let's see how it ends up working out. 

I prefer that than having a HC and a GM at odds with each other.

3 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I think it shows us Shanny probably has more pull than Lynch but that shouldn't be that big of a surprise since it was essentially Shanny who hand picked his GM. 

1 hour ago, Pandomonium said:

I just feel like this draft for us has been lackluster....while we improved slightly , we did not improve enough to win our division much less the conference.

Aside from taking 9 guys that went in the first round, there was no amount of guys we could have picked in this draft that would have gotten us to a point where we'd have done either. I still think we're a wildcard team this year, but 2018 is not a 'in it to win it' type year. We can get there next year. 

14 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Aside from taking 9 guys that went in the first round, there was no amount of guys we could have picked in this draft that would have gotten us to a point where we'd have done either. I still think we're a wildcard team this year, but 2018 is not a 'in it to win it' type year. We can get there next year. 

I more or less agree. But wildcard teams give themselves lottery balls even if they are not teams that are equally as well constructed yet as the conference favorites. Nutty things happen. 

20 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Yes. Obviously, the 49ers have their own parallels, but I do not remember the end of the Brendan Rodgers era at Liverpool fondly for very similar reasons. A bunch of really valuable and talented young players found by the analytics department that mostly the coaching staff was not interested in or attached to. Most of those players have eventually come good (except for those chosen specifically by Rodgers himself), but it leaves a dirty taste in the mouth.

16 hours ago, Pandomonium said:

I just feel like this draft for us has been lackluster....while we improved slightly , we did not improve enough to win our division much less the conference.

Feels like a draft for a team coming off their third straight playoff appearance or something. Drafting for depth. Don't think we needed to use our first two picks on an offensive tackle or wide receiver. 

On 4/28/2018 at 5:54 PM, y2lamanaki said:

This

I think the way we played with Jimmy made people forget they are cleaning up Baalke's mess too.  They now have the QB, Tackle, and hopefully the WRs.  Last draft class also had more instant contributors than any Baalke class(I'd say we could still debate who to credit 2010 to).

I don't even mind the Street pick.  We can't just swear off ACL tear guys because of Baalke.  Most of the Baalke picks that were healthy at draft time didn't pan out either.  The only one you can't blame Baalke fully for was Lattimore because that injury was that gruesome.  But he still made the pick so that's still on him.

I'm still mildly salty from the weekend. And I understand the FO's position on the EDGE class. They had Cassius Marsh types and weren't looking for more. They wanted the guy at LEO. I follow that logic. I don't agree with the idea that there wasn't a potential impact player available when they picked. I'm going to play a game with two prospects and see if anyone can spot the talented and productive NFL edge starter in a similar scheme and the prospect I would have preferred to draft this season (this part is relatively simple given my comment history). 

Player Height Weight Arm Length 40 (full) 40 (10yd split) Vertical Short Shuttle Three Cone Bench Press Tackles for Loss (College Career) Tackles for Loss (Final Season) Sacks (College Career) Sacks (Final Season)
A 6'2" 252 lbs 32.5" 4.75 1.65s 34.5" 4.5s 7.35s 26 reps 32 14.5 21.5 13.5
B 6'1.5" 253 lbs 33.75" 4.76 1.6s 38" 4.34s 7.09s 27 reps 33 17 20 8

On 4/30/2018 at 10:03 AM, JIllg said:

I'm still mildly salty from the weekend. And I understand the FO's position on the EDGE class. They had Cassius Marsh types and weren't looking for more. They wanted the guy at LEO. I follow that logic. I don't agree with the idea that there wasn't a potential impact player available when they picked. I'm going to play a game with two prospects and see if anyone can spot the talented and productive NFL edge starter in a similar scheme and the prospect I would have preferred to draft this season (this part is relatively simple given my comment history). 

Player Height Weight Arm Length 40 (full) 40 (10yd split) Vertical Short Shuttle Three Cone Bench Press Tackles for Loss (College Career) Tackles for Loss (Final Season) Sacks (College Career) Sacks (Final Season)
A 6'2" 252 lbs 32.5" 4.75 1.65s 34.5" 4.5s 7.35s 26 reps 32 14.5 21.5 13.5
B 6'1.5" 253 lbs 33.75" 4.76 1.6s 38" 4.34s 7.09s 27 reps 33 17 20 8

Psst. A is Yannick Ngakoue. B is Obo Okoronkwo. And that is enough of that soapbox for all time. :P 

3 hours ago, JIllg said:

Psst. A is Yannick Ngakoue. B is Obo Okoronkwo. And that is enough of that soapbox for all time. :P 

I would have taken Obo, personally. He's one of the very guys in this class that intrigued me. I loved his hands.

Archived