Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
whodatworm23

Saints trade up for Marcus Davenport

Recommended Posts

Heres a little perspective on the trade... The Saints gave up the 27th and 147th pick in 2018 plus thier 2019 1st rounder. For discussion lets say the Saints barely make the playoffs and end up with the 20th pick in 2019. That trio of picks would a equate to what bascially amounts to the 7th overall pick in any draft. The Saints CLEARLY had Davenport inside thier top 10 on thier board and its rumored that they began talkong trade starting with the Bears at 8th overall. What im getting at is they paid what they had to to get the guy they wanted. They would have paid the same amount to Chicago at 8, Okland at 10 and so on. At least this way we did save money on his rookie deal by getting him at 14. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I personally think Davenport can outshine Jordan. As I mentioned Donald came in 2014, a year after Quinn had 19 sacks, 2 fumble recovers, 1 td, made the pro bowl and first team all-pro, and finished 2nd in the DPOY behind Robert Mathis. Didn’t take long for Donald to be the best pass rusher on the Rams and how he is the best pass rusher in the NFL. I like Jordan and think he is very very good but the bar has be set high for Davenport. Nobody makes this type of move if they didn’t expect greatness from the player. Again I like Davenport potential, but in order to justify this move he can’t be the 2nd best player on his defense. Maybe even team once Brees retires. 

Potential-wise, I agree Davenport could outshine Jordan in the long run, Jordan was already pretty complete and just an overall beast coming into the NFL, but I'm just saying that for teh value to be correct Davenport only has to reach 10 sacks/yr, not actually surpass a legit DPOY candidate that even some non-Saints fans thought deserved it.  I think the value changes based on what the Saints accomplish in the next 2 yeras.  Even if he ends up only at 7+ sacks, if he helps the Saints win a Super Bowl it doesn't matter if in his 3rd year he never plays again as the goal is a Super Bowl and that would've been accomplished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I personally think Davenport can outshine Jordan. As I mentioned Donald came in 2014, a year after Quinn had 19 sacks, 2 fumble recovers, 1 td, made the pro bowl and first team all-pro, and finished 2nd in the DPOY behind Robert Mathis. Didn’t take long for Donald to be the best pass rusher on the Rams and how he is the best pass rusher in the NFL. I like Jordan and think he is very very good but the bar has be set high for Davenport. Nobody makes this type of move if they didn’t expect greatness from the player. Again I like Davenport potential, but in order to justify this move he can’t be the 2nd best player on his defense. Maybe even team once Brees retires. 

We gave up a 1st and 2nd for ingram amd he isnt even the best RB on his team... Still hes a valuabe part to our success. 

 

Davenport does not need to be a super star... He just needs to develop into an impact player and help us win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Davenport pick a lot for the following two reasons:

1. Having a good front linemen can do magic for the whole defense. Just look at how good Jenkins and Robinson have become for Eagles because of the better front

2. I can't help by comparing Davenport to Eagles' Graham (2010 1st 13th pick) who made a crucial defense play in last Super Bowl which sealed the game. All three top NFC teams(Eagles, Vikings, and Rams) have better defense linemen than us, way better actually. It's hard to overcome when such a big gap exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Raves said:

Potential-wise, I agree Davenport could outshine Jordan in the long run, Jordan was already pretty complete and just an overall beast coming into the NFL, but I'm just saying that for teh value to be correct Davenport only has to reach 10 sacks/yr, not actually surpass a legit DPOY candidate that even some non-Saints fans thought deserved it.  I think the value changes based on what the Saints accomplish in the next 2 yeras.  Even if he ends up only at 7+ sacks, if he helps the Saints win a Super Bowl it doesn't matter if in his 3rd year he never plays again as the goal is a Super Bowl and that would've been accomplished.

Actually I don’t look at sacks, I look at pressures. If Davenport can consistency wreck offenses with the consistent pressure then that will be enough. The sacks and turnovers will come, he just have to basically be unblockable even if teams decide to double him. If he turns out to be Ansah who is essentially a franchise player for the Lions and is a big reason the Lions defense is pretty darn good, I can feel a bit better about this move. Once he takes the field though the picks don’t matter it’s football. I’ll be definitely watching him. Might go see him play live when the Rams travel to New Orleans Week 9. That game should be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Actually I don’t look at sacks, I look at pressures. If Davenport can consistency wreck offenses with the consistent pressure then that will be enough. The sacks and turnovers will come, he just have to basically be unblockable even if teams decide to double him. If he turns out to be Ansah who is essentially a franchise player for the Lions and is a big reason the Lions defense is pretty darn good, I can feel a bit better about this move. Once he takes the field though the picks don’t matter it’s football. I’ll be definitely watching him. Might go see him play live when the Rams travel to New Orleans Week 9. That game should be great.

Its an arms race in the NFC... The Eagles won the superbowl largly due to their D-Line and the Rams got crazy better. The Saints understand they had to keep pace to be in the hunt and I dont think there done trading up or adding to their defensive line... I think they more up into the 2nd round today for a interior guy like Rasheem Green, Nathan Shepard, BJ Hill or Justin Jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, can we quit saying we gave up a 27th for this? This was our 27th pick, it just got moved to 14. What we gave up is our 5th round selection, next year's whatever pick in the first round.

Sometimes you nail the pic, sometimes you don't. Anthony was a bust, we wasted a first-round on that. It took our Marquee tight end to do it. We got back and All Pro Center, and a pic from Miami in that trade. 

On the contrary, Alvin Kamara was an absolute steal in the third round. That kid is first-round talent, and you can't argue that. So we're money ahead there.

Sure, I thought we gave up a lot for Davenport, but the kid hasn't even played a snap in the NFL. He probably isn't even in New Orleans yet. Probably hasn't even seen New Orleans, ever. So maybe we should take a deep breath and watch the kid take the field before we flip out about how much we gave up. Who knows, maybe it was perfect compensation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

First off, can we quit saying we gave up a 27th for this? This was our 27th pick, it just got moved to 14. What we gave up is our 5th round selection, next year's whatever pick in the first round.

Sometimes you nail the pic, sometimes you don't. Anthony was a bust, we wasted a first-round on that. It took our Marquee tight end to do it. We got back and All Pro Center, and a pic from Miami in that trade. 

On the contrary, Alvin Kamara was an absolute steal in the third round. That kid is first-round talent, and you can't argue that. So we're money ahead there.

Sure, I thought we gave up a lot for Davenport, but the kid hasn't even played a snap in the NFL. He probably isn't even in New Orleans yet. Probably hasn't even seen New Orleans, ever. So maybe we should take a deep breath and watch the kid take the field before we flip out about how much we gave up. Who knows, maybe it was perfect compensation.

Preach!!!

 

to many speaking like he's already a bust simply because of what we gave up... will be kinda arkward if he balls out and becomes a monster off the edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I was coming around on the move last until I saw how far Lamar fell.

We could’ve had Jackson, kept our first next year and 5th this year as well

This is me. I was getting over it but then hindsight granted us the gift of seeing Lamar fall to our original pick anyways. :( 

It's basically, would you rather Lamar Jackson/a 1st/a 5th or Davenport. For me it's a no brainer and I take the former, but hopefully Davenport becomes a stud. I won't write him off or anything lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spartica4Real said:

This is me. I was getting over it but then hindsight granted us the gift of seeing Lamar fall to our original pick anyways. :( 

It's basically, would you rather Lamar Jackson/a 1st/a 5th or Davenport. For me it's a no brainer and I take the former, but hopefully Davenport becomes a stud. I won't write him off or anything lol. 

I get it, and I'm also looking at it this way. We're all arm chair scouts.

The guys who do all this stuff for a living clearly saw something in Davenport that caused them to spend extra on him,
The same guys saw something in Jackson that caused them to play conservative.

So, do you want a bargain with a question mark, or pay for the blue chip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raven checking in. Was surprised by the cost the Saints were willing to pay for a pass rusher.

Recent drafts tell me they know very well what they do and probably feel he's the missing piece to get them back to the SB. with that squad they are almost guaranteed to play in the NFCCG thus the 1st pick they gave up next year is most likely in the 30ish range, basically 2nd round value... capital well invested IF all goes to plan.

i love it when GMs have the balls to trust in their ability to build a winner and get bland at times... TLDR: go Saints! i like that move a lot and expect another great run next season. enjoy the next rounds guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not a bad pick. It's the way we got him that was questionable at the time. Had we been able to get him at 27 I would've been all for it. There were a lot of guys drafted last night who I didn't know much about, so I don't know how much more valuable this guy is at 14 compared to someone else we could have taken at 27, especially considering what we gave up to get to 14. If he is the next great pass rusher then I'm all for it, and they must certainly believe so. As of right now I'll just kinda have to take people's word for it. And I will say though, about Lamar Jackson, I think it says a lot that not only did we pass on him, but so did a few teams desperate for a QB, and the Patriots twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

We gave up a 1st and 2nd for ingram amd he isnt even the best RB on his team... Still hes a valuabe part to our success. 

 

Davenport does not need to be a super star... He just needs to develop into an impact player and help us win.

It’s more difficult timing considering Brees ticking clock. It’s insanely difficult to draft a franchise QB outside of the 1st and great QBs typically don’t make it to FA. Either Hill is the answer at QB...or the Saints could be looking at dark painful days in 2-3 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pick itself wasn't bad. I actually like it. The only problem is they gave up a future 1st round pick. Giving up 1st round picks when your QB is pushing 40 is always a risky move. Hopefully it works out for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I watch tape on Davenport, the more I don't mind this move.  The price was steep, but I think he can be a monster with proper coaching.   

We need a QBOTF, but...we got Brees through FA.  I'm confident that Payton and Loomis can find a QB when the time comes(if he's not already on our roster).  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×