Saints trade up for Marcus Davenport

whodatworm23

After looking at the last 3 rounds,I have to say I'm not really disappointed with trading up. I think either trading up or down would have been the move.

Trading down probably wouldn't have helped us with positional players that could help us win this year.

Anyone have speculation on next year? Is it looking like a weak draft?

It all depends. In my opinion for next year's draft:

1 - 10 let's not talk about it

11 - 20 - we got hosed

21 - 25 - depends on the strength of draft

26 - 32 - we made the right call without hindsight.

I will say it's a small but attainable window. I just hope we looked at next year and felt it wasn't that good. 

13 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Everybody keeps talking about next year being a weak draft. I think it's going to be similar to this year, three days.

How we gonna get that first back? Armstead?

If Payton is gonna ship out talent for draft compensation, you know it’s gonna be an offensive player lol

7 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Everybody keeps talking about next year being a weak draft. I think it's going to be similar to this year, three days.

not sure about positional talent but unless some guys emerge it appears to be a very weak quarterback class.

13 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

13 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

How we gonna get that first back? Armstead?

If Payton is gonna ship out talent for draft compensation, you know it’s gonna be an offensive player lol

It was a joke. Play on words. "week-weak" - not a week, only 3 days. 
It's not my fault Costco sells Jack Daniels.

On 4/29/2018 at 11:32 PM, Mid Iowa said:

I see what you did there Mid. I didn't think Iowans were that punny...I was wrong ;)

Please keep in mind in no scout and I rarely watch film. I'm just a fan and decided to take a look at some of his game film to see what kind of player the Saints were getting. Here were a few of my takeaways:

1. He isn't very polished when rushing the passer. He only has one move, bull rush, and it's not a great move. He doesn't really use his hands when rushing the passer and it makes him very predictable. Though he is fast off the ball, he doesnt really get the bend around the edge you would like to see. He can overpower opposing OTs, but I don't think that's always going to work for him at the next level.

2. He is solid against the run. He plays his assignment well and can disengage blocks. He has great pursuit and doesn't give up on plays. 

3. He doesn't diagnose plays as well as you would like, but his athleticism helps cover it up. 

4. He has a great motor and gives great effort each and every play. He has a real nose for the ball and never spots his pursuit of the ball carrier until the play is dead.

That's just a few things I noticed. The Saints have a lot of work to do with him before he becomes a monster, but he has all the tools, especially his motor, to contribute right away on obvious passing downs. He's much better in the run game then I was expecting. Usually that's an aspect of the game rookies struggle with, but he should be fine. If everything goes well he may actually have a chance at starting Day 1.

9 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Please keep in mind in no scout and I rarely watch film. I'm just a fan and decided to take a look at some of his game film to see what kind of player the Saints were getting. Here were a few of my takeaways:

1. He isn't very polished when rushing the passer. He only has one move, bull rush, and it's not a great move. He doesn't really use his hands when rushing the passer and it makes him very predictable. Though he is fast off the ball, he doesnt really get the bend around the edge you would like to see. He can overpower opposing OTs, but I don't think that's always going to work for him at the next level.

2. He is solid against the run. He plays his assignment well and can disengage blocks. He has great pursuit and doesn't give up on plays. 

3. He doesn't diagnose plays as well as you would like, but his athleticism helps cover it up. 

4. He has a great motor and gives great effort each and every play. He has a real nose for the ball and never spots his pursuit of the ball carrier until the play is dead.

That's just a few things I noticed. The Saints have a lot of work to do with him before he becomes a monster, but he has all the tools, especially his motor, to contribute right away on obvious passing downs. He's much better in the run game then I was expecting. Usually that's an aspect of the game rookies struggle with, but he should be fine. If everything goes well he may actually have a chance at starting Day 1.

I love his hands... His hands are violent and he converts speed to power very well. He has a great punch off the line and he is very explosive off the snap but dosent show it at times due to the technique he might be playing vs a particular offensive alignment or scheme.

I agree that his bend isnt flawless but thats common in players as long as Davenport is. Still he bends very well for a 6'5" - 6'6" guy and he has a great inside outside move. His pass rush arsenal is bare but he absolutely dominated his level of competition with what he has and when he played upper level competition (Texas A&M, Baylor, etc.) He was still one of the best players on the field. 

At UTSA he likley was not afforded the oppertunties as far as strength training, physical conditioning and coaching that players at power 5 programs are exposed to meaning between his raw ability, natural physical tools and work ethic his upside in the NFL is tremendous. Now Davenport will be exposed to a NFL strength and conditioning program and a position coach who just saw his entire D-Line drafted in the draft including Bradley Chubb at 5th overall in Ryan Neilson. On top of that, Davenport will also have the luxury of learning from someone who many consider the best overall edge player in the NFL today in Cam Jordan. 

Man, I'm really excited for this kid and his potential. Will he comemout the gate like gangbusters, likley not. Remember Jordan only had 1 sack his rookie year.

13 hours ago, JMG5 said:

I've only watched limited film of him myself, but I was under the impression he had good hands.

I mean, he played at San Antonio, no reason to expect a monster on day one, but I feel like his athletic ability and raw talent will contribute to a much needed position on the team from day one.  We've seen too often what happens when guys get hurt, and IMO teams won't be able to pick on Davenport when it does.  

28 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I've only watched limited film of him myself, but I was under the impression he had good hands.

I mean, he played at San Antonio, no reason to expect a monster on day one, but I feel like his athletic ability and raw talent will contribute to a much needed position on the team from day one.  We've seen too often what happens when guys get hurt, and IMO teams won't be able to pick on Davenport when it does.  

I didn't really notice any hand fighting. He wasn't using them to get the tackles hands off of him. He was just bull rushing and trying to power through the tackles. Then again, I only watched like 2 and a half games.

Archived