2018 NFL Draft Thread - Day 2

SemperFeist

They can still use draft capital on an OL. They can still sign a FA. They can still trade for one. Just because they didn't use their first round pick on one doesn't mean they are done addressing it, or that they won't effectively address it. They just spent 28 million on a QB, spent 8 million on a DT, and gave an extension to a key piece. There wasn't a lot of funds to go after a top flight FA. We also signed Compton, and there are others that may be signed after the draft.

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

we're going to use one team as evidence of something?

Clearly, other teams feel drafting OL before late in round 3 is a good idea, because they keep doing it. I've made my points, and ready to move on.

I see the Vikings going OL or DE here, or possibly trading back.

It's more than just them...It's been 12 years since the Ravens took a guard in the first 2 rounds.  The Patriots?  13 years.  The Steelers have taken 3 in 20 years.  The Giants?  2 in the last 35 years. 

I understand you're ready to move on, but I just wanted to make that final point...I don't believe it's nearly as simple as you believe it is.  While I'm disappointed as well that they haven't gotten that very good OL in the draft in a long time...it's not that simple as just taking an OL in the first 2 rounds and boom...your problems are gonna be solved.     

8 minutes ago, disaacs said:

15 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

we're going to use one team as evidence of something?

Clearly, other teams feel drafting OL before late in round 3 is a good idea, because they keep doing it. I've made my points, and ready to move on.

I see the Vikings going OL or DE here, or possibly trading back.

It's more than just them...It's been 12 years since the Ravens took a guard in the first 2 rounds.  The Patriots?  13 years.  The Steelers have taken 3 in 20 years.

There’s a big difference. Those teams have shown that they can develop linemen taken later in the draft. 

The Vikings have shown that they can’t. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s a big difference. Those teams have shown that they can develop linemen taken later in the draft. 

The Vikings have shown that they can’t. 

That's fair to a certain point, but the Vikings also haven't had consistency in the coaching department on the offensive side of the ball either, so that may have a little to do with it.  If they had as close to the same consistency of the staff on the offensive side of the ball as they do the defense, maybe they actually could develop an O-Lineman.    

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Like Reiff and Remmers?

They also used a 3rd on Elflein and traded for Easton. 

While improvements...the best you can say is that the move to improvement was from lousy stinkin' offensive line play to mediocre line play on their best day!  I don't think anyone will confuse Reiff, Remmers and Easton for All-Pro offensive linemen.

18 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

While improvements...the best you can say is that the move to improvement was from lousy stinkin' offensive line play to mediocre line play on their best day!  I don't think anyone will confuse Reiff, Remmers and Easton for All-Pro offensive linemen.

I wouldn't necessarily say any of Reiff, Remmers, or Easton are above average players, but i disagree with your statement. The offensive line are truly a unit and the sum of the parts is greater then the whole. As a healthy unit playing together they were above average for the majority of the season. It's when people started getting knicked up and they had to start Shirles and/or shifting people around that things got ugly. 

3 hours ago, BigBearSD said:

If you are taking a lower rated player at the position of biggest need over a higher rated player at a position of less need then you are taking them simply to fill the need.

At this point we don't even know where Williams/Hernandez/Daniels will be taken what if they are all drafted in the middle part of the 2nd? Then would you stand by this opinion?

Hernandez alone is not a very good fit for the Vikings scheme that alone would make his choice at 30 simply filling a need. 

It's also quite possible that the NFL teams think Daniels is a pure C prospect and have his prospects as OG rated lower. Also possible Connor Williams just isn't as highly valued by NFL teams as the draft community thinks.

I said a few weeks ago that I thought Williams was going to fall out of the first round

26 minutes ago, BigBearSD said:

I wouldn't necessarily say any of Reiff, Remmers, or Easton are above average players, but i disagree with your statement. The offensive line are truly a unit and the sum of the parts is greater then the whole. As a healthy unit playing together they were above average for the majority of the season. It's when people started getting knicked up and they had to start Shirles and/or shifting people around that things got ugly. 

I think I disagree regarding the 2017 offensive line being above average prior to injuries.  I think they were above average compared to the 2016 squad, however, I don't think they were above average compared to most other units in the NFL.

You are absolutely correct that the offensive line plays as a unit...however, the unit is only as good as it's weakest member, to use an old adage.  Again, I firmly believe for the Vikings to make it to the Super Bowl they will need a significant upgrade along the whole offensive line...although I believe that Elflein and Reiff are serviceable for the time being.  To get better players the Vikings will have to invest more resources than they've shown a willingness to invest, with the exception of drafting Kalil in the 1st round.  Frankly, if Kalil had not destroyed his Knees, he would still be playing left tackle and likely the best player along the line.

6 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

For me it would have to be a pick before 48 this year or a first round pick next year. Waynes is a very good player that the team has under their control for two more years at a very reasonable average salary. That is not something the team is likely to replace with a later pick.

Exactly right.  People seem to have a bad opinion of Trae Waynes around here, but they forget that it takes a year or two to learn Mike Zimmer's defensive scheme.  It took Rhodes a while too, yet he gets a pass for that.  Waynes was a very solid cornerback for us last year.  Why take a player 11th overall in the draft, spend 2-3 years turning him into a good NFL player, and then dump him on the market to some other team?  The goal is to buy low and sell high, not the other way around.

I wouldn't trade Waynes until after next year.  Actually, I wouldn't trade him at all if I could make the cap work.  After next year, if we should decide to trade him, I wouldn't take anything less than a first-round pick for him.

The only scenario I could see trading him at this point would be if we could get next year's first and maybe a 3rd rounder this year from a team that we know is going to be bad in 2018 and garner a high pick with their first.

Archived