2018 NFL Draft Thread - Day 2

SemperFeist

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’m interested to see how mad everyone on here will be if we take something other than a offensive lineman in round 2.

I'm at the point where it doesn't really help getting mad because it doesn't look like there will be any starter quality o-linemen left to pass on by the time our pick comes around.  As Semper Feist said, that's the problem with not taking one with #30.  It would be nice if we can find a diamond in the rough, however, those guys usually take some time to groom.  Unless we get lucky, we might just be better off taking BPA at any position in the second round.

I'm coming around to accepting the Hughes pick, but it is one that could very well come back to bite us in the end.

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

People get way too caught up in having elite OL talent. One elite lineman doesn't make an elite line or drastically improve the entire team. Just ask Cleveland.

Steve Hutchinson made a big difference in our offensive line when we acquired him.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Steve Hutchinson made a big difference in our offensive line when we acquired him.

It brought better run-blocking certainly, but pass protection was not all that much better.  In fact, pass protection didn't improve all that much until Phil Loadholt (ironically) was drafted and Sully took over for Birk.  

2 hours ago, disaacs said:

It's more than just them...It's been 12 years since the Ravens took a guard in the first 2 rounds.  The Patriots?  13 years.  The Steelers have taken 3 in 20 years.  The Giants?  2 in the last 35 years. 

I understand you're ready to move on, but I just wanted to make that final point...I don't believe it's nearly as simple as you believe it is.  While I'm disappointed as well that they haven't gotten that very good OL in the draft in a long time...it's not that simple as just taking an OL in the first 2 rounds and boom...your problems are gonna be solved.     

What is Elflein? Chopped liver?  I don't think the OL is nearly as bad as some are making it out to be, we returning 4 of our 5 starters and theres still plenty of time to address the OG spot before the season starts.  Elflein should improve upon his rookie year & I also believe Easton makes improvements. 

I still think there are starters out there and they don't just have to go OG they've already said Remmers could move inside so there are plenty of options still available.  Everyone needs to just calm down and relax the sky isn't falling

17 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

He's also a potential HOF player. Would love to find one of those, who wouldn't. I don't think this class has HOF OL talent, maybe Nelson but he was rightfully drafted top 10.

2 minutes ago, Boda said:

What is Elflein? Chopped liver?  I don't think the OL is nearly as bad as some are making it out to be, we returning 4 of our 5 starters and theres still plenty of time to address the OG spot before the season starts.  Elflein should improve upon his rookie year & I also believe Easton makes improvements. 

I still think there are starters out there and they don't just have to go OG they've already said Remmers could move inside so there are plenty of options still available.  Everyone needs to just calm down and relax the sky isn't falling

I'm still leaning towards defense with that 2nd round pick, but there might just be riots on here. Some of the DE and S talent intrigues me.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'm still leaning towards defense with that 2nd round pick, but there might just be riots on here. Some of the DE and S talent intrigues me.

Im not locked into any 1 position.  I want the best player available.  Our team is pretty stacked if it stays injury free, sure I would love to add one of Connor Williams, Austin Corbett or Orlando Brown(Yes I know a lot don't like him, I still think he's going to be a good pro) however my top 5-10 includes many other positions 

My current top 10 for us

1. Connor Williams | OL

2. Dallas Goedert | TE

3. Eric Reid | S

4. Maurice Hurst | DT

4. Christian Kirk | WR

5. Lorenzo Carter | LB

6. Derrius Guice | RB

7. Mike Gesicki | TE

8. Ronnie Harrison | S 

9. Orlando Brown | OT

10. Mason Rudolph | QB

I think the next two picks will potentially define what they think of next year's free agent class. Nearly every position could be in play minus QB, RB, C and CB. I think a strong case could be made for OL, WR, TE, DE, UT, LB and S with the next two picks. Tonight will be interesting.

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

If they lose one OL starter to injury.... There is no depth at all. There aren't even five starters.....

Certainly true, depth is still a question mark. 

I wonder if the Vikes think they have a starter in Hill, Compton or Isidora.

im curious to see if the Vikes trade a future pick to get an extra third today. 

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

They also picked up the guy from Philly

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think Hill is a fine spot starter, kind of like the Joe Berger but for OT's

It’s always funny when you see justifications for backup level talent as starters. 

We just added a 4th starting caliber CB because “you can never have too many pass defenders” or “it’s a pick for the future”. Meanwhile, the offensive line is patched together with 2-3 backup level quality linemen expected to be starters, and even worse depth behind them. 

I sure hope that they get someone who’s going to step in right away and prove to be starting caliber. But it’s a long way until 62, and there aren’t that many type of players left. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

It’s always funny when you see justifications for backup level talent as starters. 

We just added a 4th starting caliber CB because “you can never have too many pass defenders” or “it’s a pick for the future”. Meanwhile, the offensive line is patched together with 2-3 backup level quality linemen expected to be starters, and even worse depth behind them. 

I sure hope that they get someone who’s going to step in right away and prove to be starting caliber. But it’s a long way until 62, and there aren’t that many type of players left. 

If this was in reference to me than you obviously haven't been paying attention at all

Archived