2018 NFL Draft Thread - Day 2

SemperFeist

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s always funny when you see justifications for backup level talent as starters. 

We just added a 4th starting caliber CB because “you can never have too many pass defenders” or “it’s a pick for the future”. Meanwhile, the offensive line is patched together with 2-3 backup level quality linemen expected to be starters, and even worse depth behind them. 

I sure hope that they get someone who’s going to step in right away and prove to be starting caliber. But it’s a long way until 62, and there aren’t that many type of players left. 

It's about value. Seems we'd rather have 4 starting caliber CBs than 5 starting caliber OL. We've still got several rounds to go, I'm just glad Spielman doesn't reach for need.  

1 hour ago, Boda said:

What is Elflein? Chopped liver?

Are you implying that you think Elflein is a very good offensive linemen? If so, that tells me about all I need to know. He isn't even average yet. He might get to average this year and eventually become a good player. He is a long ways from being very good.

I like Elflein just fine and think he is doing really good for a third round pick. Anointing him as being very good at this point is putting the cart before the horse. If Elflein were the worst linemen the Viking shad starting I would feel pretty good about the situation. Sadly, he is clearly better than three of the other projected starters.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

It's about value. Seems we'd rather have 4 starting caliber CBs than 5 starting caliber OL. We've still got several rounds to go, I'm just glad Spielman doesn't reach for need.  

Had the Vikings drafted Williams, Hernandez, or Daniels absolutely no one would have criticized them, or accused them of “reaching”. So, I don’t see how one of them would have been “reaching”, and they would have helped build up your biggest weakness. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s always funny when you see justifications for backup level talent as starters. 

We just added a 4th starting caliber CB because “you can never have too many pass defenders” or “it’s a pick for the future”. Meanwhile, the offensive line is patched together with 2-3 backup level quality linemen expected to be starters, and even worse depth behind them. 

I sure hope that they get someone who’s going to step in right away and prove to be starting caliber. But it’s a long way until 62, and there aren’t that many type of players left. 

I am of the opinion that the offensive line hasn’t been given the priority it had needed. However I do think there are about 7 or 8 lineman who could contribute this year. 

8 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Are you implying that you think Elflein is a very good offensive linemen? If so, that tells me about all I need to know. He isn't even average yet. He might get to average this year and eventually become a good player. He is a long ways from being very good.

I like Elflein just fine and think he is doing really good for a third round pick. Anointing him as being very good at this point is putting the cart before the horse. If Elflein were the worst linemen the Viking shad starting I would feel pretty good about the situation. Sadly, he is clearly better than three of the other projected starters.

I definitely feel he was at worst average but above that so I'll say above average with HUGE potential.  So it looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree

Edit: I feel like this is going to be the whole Brian Robison thing all over again when I kept telling some he was better than Edwards and deserved to be starting and almost everyone said he was a rotation piece at best. 

6 minutes ago, Boda said:

I definitely feel he was at worst average but above that so I'll say above average with HUGE potential.  So it looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree

Why were you asking what Elflein was in response to a statement that the Vikings gotten a very good OL in the draft? I mean, if you only think he is above average and you think he is the best they have drafted you would be agreeing with that statement. The problem is that your post sounded to me like disagreeing. 

Elflein did some things very good and he has potential. The Vikings haven't been good about developing guys with potential so I am not going to count that chicken yet; it is still unhatched.

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Why were you asking what Elflein was in response to a statement that the Vikings gotten a very good OL in the draft? I mean, if you only think he is above average and you think he is the best they have drafted you would be agreeing with that statement. The problem is that your post sounded to me like disagreeing. 

Elflein did some things very good and he has potential. The Vikings haven't been good about developing guys with potential so I am not going to count that chicken yet; it is still unhatched.

Because I do believe he's going to be a very good OL in no longer than 2 more years, he's going to take a huge stride this year, atleast IMO.

Edited:

Players who show potential typically progress and that's something this forum particularly struggles to understand, its like most think a player is going to be the same with no progression or regress.  It irritates me a lot :D

Just now, Boda said:

Because I do believe he's going to be a very good OL in no longer than 2 more years, he's going to take a huge stride this year atleast IMO 

K. Got it. That makes sense. I hope you are right. I too think that he has that potential even though I am not ready to make the full leap of faith assumption.

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Had the Vikings drafted Williams, Hernandez, or Daniels absolutely no one would have criticized them, or accused them of “reaching”. So, I don’t see how one of them would have been “reaching”, and they would have helped build up your biggest weakness. 

So they shouldn't go BPA by their draft board, but by the fans' BPA?

Archived