2018 NFL Draft Thread - Day 2

SemperFeist

7 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’m interested to see how mad everyone on here will be if we take something other than a offensive lineman in round 2.

Judging from some of the reactions just from round 1 alone it's gonna be the end of the world as we know it if we don't grab a O-linemen. xD

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Discussing disappointment in a continuing trend, on a message board, is not the same as being angry....

I'm sure they would be disappointed as well.  But, things don't always pan out the way anyone wants them to.  Hell, I planted what I thought were cucumbers last year (said so on the package) and it turned out to be cantaloupe.  In 2015, the Vikings thought they were getting a potential 1st round talent at OT in the 4th round...but it ended up that they got a guy who couldn't play.  No one's going to argue that they haven't been somewhat disappointed that they haven't been able to draft a decent offensive lineman in the early rounds, but it's not wise to draft an offensive lineman just because you have the need.  That's how you potentially end up with an offensive line version of Christian Ponder.  

12 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I'm sure they would be disappointed as well.  But, things don't always pan out the way anyone wants them to.  Hell, I planted what I thought were cucumbers last year (said so on the package) and it turned out to be cantaloupe.  In 2015, the Vikings thought they were getting a potential 1st round talent at OT in the 4th round...but it ended up that they got a guy who couldn't play.  No one's going to argue that they haven't been somewhat disappointed that they haven't been able to draft a decent offensive lineman in the early rounds, but it's not wise to draft an offensive lineman just because you have the need.  That's how you potentially end up with an offensive line version of Christian Ponder.  

This is not an accurate assessment of the 2018 situation.  Taking Connor Williams or Hernandez wouldn't be viewed as just taking an offensive lineman to fill a need.

The interesting thing to me about how the first round OL picks shook out is that of the three guard prospects that got drafted who we wanted here, none of them were drafted as guards. Wynn drafted as a T, and Ragnow and Price as Cs.

3 minutes ago, BigBearSD said:

If neither Williams or Hernandez had an equal rating to Mike Hughes on the Vikings board then it's 100% accurate assessment. Take the BPA on your board not simply the best that fills the biggest need.

BPA is not some kind of exact science.....and if the BPA every round is a QB, do you draft 7 QBs?

Just now, BigBearSD said:

If neither Williams or Hernandez had an equal rating to Mike Hughes on the Vikings board then it's 100% accurate assessment. Take the BPA on your board not simply the best that fills the biggest need.

Nope. You are not taking that player JUST TO FILL  A NEED.  You take a quality player that makes the team better. 

We don't know yet whether the 2018 picks will work out or not.  But to say the only reason to have taken an OL at 30 would "have been just to fill a need" is not accurate.

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

BPA is not some kind of exact science.....and if the BPA every round is a QB, do you draft 7 QBs?

Obviously there are gonna be some positions that are a no go like a QB when you spent 84 million on one that off season. But outside of P/K (obvious reasons) QB/RB and maybe LB(if they are planning on extending barr) the board should have been open to any position that had the best player available.

13 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

This is not an accurate assessment of the 2018 situation.  Taking Connor Williams or Hernandez wouldn't be viewed as just taking an offensive lineman to fill a need.

Hernandez...in my estimation, would be viewed as a taking an OL just to fill a need...because he doesn't fit the offensive line scheme the Vikings run.  And I have said that I would have preferred taking Williams over Hughes...but when I made my statement that you bolded, it wasn't necessarily reflecting the specific situation last night, it's the principle.  You don't take a position just because it's a need...that's where you get in trouble.  

3 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

But, the point remains

Which can only tell me that Hughes, in their estimation was a full tier higher than Williams.  And that means you take Hughes regardless of the need.  You don't dip down a tier just to fill a need.  

3 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Which can only tell me that Hughes, in their estimation was a full tier higher than Williams.  And that means you take Hughes regardless of the need.  You don't dip down a tier just to fill a need.  

which is why they don't have many (any?) really good OL they've drafted and developed, because "the board never breaks that way", every single year, over and over.

Archived