Are You Smarter Than the Front Office v.2018

29 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Sweat may have a higher likelihood of reinjury based on his past ACL tear, as all who tear the ACL do, but his injury sure didn't seem to hinder his athleticism at the combine. Tremendous explosion for his HW ratio. Raw as all hell, but we have a elite DL coaching staff to get him coached up. Kid has oodles of potential. He has nearly the same physical profile as Danielle Hunter. I would be surprised if he isn't at the very least a '2nd contract worthy' situational pass rusher.

More athletic with better bend than Chubb in all honesty. Really wish we went a different direction with this draft. Chubb has a 3-cone time that just terrifies me.

To be fair to Elway, he apparently approached NYG for 1.2.  So it wasn't like he was locked in away from QB.   So I'm heartened that Elway sees this is a problem.   I share your concern on Keenum.   Personally I'd have popped Rosen at 1.5 with that failed Darnold deal, but that leaves you & I on that island so far.   I'm disappointed, but I suspect the focus on high-character guys swayed Elway & Kubiak - which sucks, because I don't see that as a good enough reason (and injury risk-wise, pocket QB's are as protected as they come).    We'll see how that goes.

27 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Sweat may have a higher likelihood of reinjury based on his past ACL tear, as all who tear the ACL do, but his injury sure didn't seem to hinder his athleticism at the combine. Tremendous explosion for his HW ratio. Raw as all hell, but we have a elite DL coaching staff to get him coached up. Kid has oodles of potential. He has nearly the same physical profile as Danielle Hunter. I would be surprised if he isn't at the very least a '2nd contract worthy' situational pass rusher.

More athletic with better bend than Chubb in all honesty. Really wish we went a different direction with this draft. Chubb has a 3-cone time that just terrifies me.

That doesn't bother me much. His explosion for a guy his size is mighty rare. 36" vertical and 121" broad jump. That's pretty crazy.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:14 PM, BroncosFan2010 said:

I'm shocked that you don't think this was an excellent draft. It's literally the antithesis of every other Elway draft. I get Chubb's 3 cone time wasn't great, but I throw on the tape. He's got the whole arsenal of pass rush moves. He's got a tremendous motor. When you get the chance to land either the best D player or arguably best prospect in the draft at 5, you gotta do it.

I think what needs to be realized with Chubb is that he isn’t a Von Miller or Khalil Mack type of pass rusher.  He’s not a guy that’s likely going to pop off 15+ sacks in a season.  He’s more of a guy that is in that 8-12 sacks a season range.

Still completely worth the selection.  He’s arguably the most complete defensive lineman to enter the draft since Ndamukong Suh.  Chubb could play 3/4 OLB, 3/4 DE, 4/3 DE, and kick inside in passing downs.  He has been one of highest grade run defenders for multiple college seasons.  He’s 6’4” 270 with strength and length to go along with his athleticism and elite effort and he’s also a quality pass rusher and defender behind the LOS.

He will be one of Denver’s greats, a great high character guy that will be a Denver fan favorite for a decade +.

I'm shocked that you don't think this was an excellent draft. It's literally the antithesis of every other Elway draft. I get Chubb's 3 cone time wasn't great, but I throw on the tape. He's got the whole arsenal of pass rush moves. He's got a tremendous motor. When you get the chance to land either the best D player or arguably best prospect in the draft at 5, you gotta do it.

I don't have many issues with the draft outside the Chubb pick. I am simply not sold on his pass rushing translating to the NFL at a rate that justifies a top 5 pick. I think he is a very well rounded prospect that can have some 8-10 sack type seasons and grade elite against the run, but I am just not sure that he is going to be disruptive enough rushing around the edges and I expect a Von or Mack caliber pass rusher if I am passing on a guy who I personally saw as a franchise QB (Rosen).

I wont change my tune because he went from prospect to Bronco. I saw what I saw when scouting him a bit, and he may prove me wrong. But I don't want to get rose colored glasses and adjust my evaluation at this point. That's not a fair way to look at the draft. I hope that I am wrong, but to me we had a draft where a guy I evaluated as a franchise QB was passed on for a guy that I saw as more of a Tambi Hali. Chubb as our Hali would be great, but not as great as a Matt Ryan level QB and simply put my evaluation or Rosen has him near that level.

Its not a bad draft, certainly better than many of our past drafts. I just have reservations on passing the QB when we finally have a top 5 pick, especially because I think Case is pure fools gold and will stink next year. History shows that one-year wonder QB's that play randomly well at a late age are likely to regress to the mean. I am betting Case does so.

9 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I don't have many issues with the draft outside the Chubb pick. I am simply not sold on his pass rushing translating to the NFL at a rate that justifies a top 5 pick. I think he is a very well rounded prospect that can have some 8-10 sack type seasons and grade elite against the run, but I am just not sure that he is going to be disruptive enough rushing around the edges and I expect a Von or Mack caliber pass rusher if I am passing on a guy who I personally saw as a franchise QB (Rosen).

I wont change my tune because he went from prospect to Bronco. I saw what I saw when scouting him a bit, and he may prove me wrong. But I don't want to get rose colored glasses and adjust my evaluation at this point. That's not a fair way to look at the draft. I hope that I am wrong, but to me we had a draft where a guy I evaluated as a franchise QB was passed on for a guy that I saw as more of a Tambi Hali. Chubb as our Hali would be great, but not as great as a Matt Ryan level QB and simply put my evaluation or Rosen has him near that level.

Its not a bad draft, certainly better than many of our past drafts. I just have reservations on passing the QB when we finally have a top 5 pick, especially because I think Case is pure fools gold and will stink next year. History shows that one-year wonder QB's that play randomly well at a late age are likely to regress to the mean. I am betting Case does so.

I'd only say that he might be Hali as our pass rusher (Robin to someone's Batman, we have Von), but I think he'll be an alpha-level force in the run game.   So there's more than what Hali brought.  Chubb's such a tough comp to make.   But I also agree 100 percent with the latter part.  I really do think Rosen was the right call.   I think he's league-average at worst, and has a top 5-8 ceiling.   Darnold had the top 3 ceiling, which is why he was my 1.1.  But unlike Darnold, we had a shot at Rosen.

Now, given we passed on Rosen, Chubb was the next best result.  But it's also why I gave our draft a B/B+ level, rather than an A+ (the day 2 change in order I would have preferred wouldn't have been enough for me, but Rosen + that + trading back Rd5, the missed potential drops it there, when we actually had A+ potential, top-of-the-league-draft - but even a B+ would make it a massive upgrade on past recent drafts - a B level probably counts too lol).  To be transparent, you & I & @champ11 are the only ones saying that we'd go Rosen 1.5.   If you don't think Rosen was the right call at 1.5, it's easy to see why a more optimistic take exists. 

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I'd only say that he might be Hali as our pass rusher (Robin to someone's Batman, we have Von), but I think he'll be an alpha-level force in the run game.   So there's more than what Hali brought.  Chubb's such a tough comp to make.   But I also agree 100 percent with the latter part.  I really do think Rosen was the right call.   I think he's league-average at worst, and has a top 5-8 ceiling.   Darnold had the top 3 ceiling, which is why he was my 1.1.  But unlike Darnold, we had a shot at Rosen.

Now, given we passed on Rosen, Chubb was the next best result.  But it's also why I gave our draft a B/B+ level, rather than an A+ (the day 2 change in order I would have preferred wouldn't have been enough for me, but Rosen + that + trading back Rd5, the missed potential drops it there, when we actually had A+ potential, top-of-the-league-draft - but even a B+ would make it a massive upgrade on past recent drafts - a B level probably counts too lol).  To be transparent, you & I & @champ11 are the only ones saying that we'd go Rosen 1.5.   If you don't think Rosen was the right call at 1.5, it's easy to see why a more optimistic take exists. 

Elway had one had to have qb and that was Darnold.  Thats his conviction which I like. I like that much better than playing Russian roulette with top 5 qbs. Chubb is a great consultation prize.

Archived