our RD1 pick, your thoughts

3rivers

I think he's a situational player early, dime backer, etc. and eventually is meant to replace
Davis (if he falters) or Burnett (as he ages). I don't mind the player. Just surprised by where they took him,
and of course from all I had read and assumed, thought they were more likely to go Reid or Harrison at safety.
He's not going to be a bust, he's too athletic and hard working, but still feel like he was a bit of a reach.
If we pick really well in 2 and 3, it'll all be just fine.

First of all I just want to say I'm as surprised, confused, and a bit frustrated as everyone else, but here is my attempt to look at it positively and I'm going to mention an aspect that I have not heard anyone mention, maybe you guys haven't thought about it yet.

Safety Terrell Edmunds 6'1 217lbs.

Flaws: At times will take bad angles on tackles, lacks instincts in coverage (can play the ball poorly at times)

Strengths: Very Fast, Good size, has good hands (when using proper technique), hard hitter, versatile, does well in coverage, specifically man coverage against bigger targets such as TE's.

Alright, so my theory:  He was drafted to play both S and LB to kind of 'replace' Ryan Shazier.   Why is this not bad?  Because one of the best LB Coaches in College Football happens to be the position coach of our Secondary, Tom Bradley.  If there's anyone who can teach him better tackling angles and help him perfect his technique in the secondary, it's this guy.

A couple of you mentioned our inability to cover TE's, well this guy fixes this issue potentially.  His hard hitting ability will also help in the Run Defense as long as he improves his tackling technique.  He can also play ST Coverage right away.  

I don't love this pick, it was done too early, that's my biggest problem with it, but the Player itself does not lack potential.

18 minutes ago, mwalker said:

He's not going to be a bust, he's too athletic and hard working, but still feel like he was a bit of a reach.
If we pick really well in 2 and 3, it'll all be just fine.

None of us can say that for a fact. Better prospects have fallen on their face harder.

Like I mentioned in the draft day thread I'm pretty underwhelmed. I don't see him being a first round talent. Still the Steelers needed to continue to bolster their secondary. With Lake gone I'm hoping Bradley can bring out the potential of the young guys there.

I'm curious what people think of this idea...

The Steelers were committed to making a 1st round pick no matter what, because they had Shazier there to announce it. So, maybe Edmunds wasn't the guy they intended to pick in the first, but he was the fallback after LEV/Evans were gone?

If that is even partially true, the NFL owes them a solid.

To me, it's probably true that they were going to make the pick no matter what considering two picks prior the analysts mentioned "not to miss the Steelers pick announcement".  They were, imo, never moving back.

Having said that, you don't take a guy 'as a last resort'.  Is that what they did? I don't know but I feel like it is considering they took a guy that was highly projected as a 3rd round pick and himself even said he was in the bathroom when he got the call, couldn't believe it, was so excited he ran out of the bathroom with his pants undone.

Other reports I am seeing state that the Steelers were prepared to trade up to 24 with Carolina, ahead of Tenn to acquire Evans. However, Tenn traded up to 22 and foiled the attempt.

Is there a mole in the Steelers organization?

Archived