What is your biggest surprise of round #1?

jleisher

New England for me. I was so shocked they took a RB in round one. With the way they played their RBs over the years, I woulda never imagined them valuing a RB in round one.

Shocked they didn’t go defense as well, which is an awful group. Losing Butler and still no pass rush , I thought for sure they’d go D.

The way Dorsey handled the draft.  Picks 1 and 4 ends up with Mayfield and Ward?  Really piss poor.  Elliot and Highsmith what the hell you guys?  Darnold #1 OK take the best QB.  Trade down or take Chubb at 4.  They reached on both guys.  Well time will tell and understand they have a boatload of picks this year but it was a horrendous waste. Mayfield at 1 was the biggest shocker I have seen in a long time.  Long long long time.  Especially after the Manziel fiasco.  Odds are stacked against short QB's.  Yes there are exceptions but rare.  Big risk stupid.  Would have taken Darnold, Rosen, or Allen ahead of Mayfield.  Actually wouldn't consider Mayfield as a starter at all.  A good back up maybe.  Sorry the guy just doesn't project to the NFL.  Don't understand how Cleveland can be so piss poor.  Really thought Dorsey would get it right.  

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

The way Dorsey handled the draft.  Picks 1 and 4 ends up with Mayfield and Ward?  Really piss poor.  Elliot and Highsmith what the hell you guys?  Darnold #1 OK take the best QB.  Trade down or take Chubb at 4.  They reached on both guys.  Well time will tell and understand they have a boatload of picks this year but it was a horrendous waste. Mayfield at 1 was the biggest shocker I have seen in a long time.  Long long long time.  Especially after the Manziel fiasco.  Odds are stacked against short QB's.  Yes there are exceptions but rare.  Big risk stupid.  Would have taken Darnold, Rosen, or Allen ahead of Mayfield.  Actually wouldn't consider Mayfield as a starter at all.  A good back up maybe.  Sorry the guy just doesn't project to the NFL.  Don't understand how Cleveland can be so piss poor.  Really thought Dorsey would get it right.  

I agree. I really thought he was an ascending executive. I'm thankful GB made the choice they did in promoting Gute. 

Agreed. No matter how the QBs turn out, drafting Mayfield is the kind of move that's hard to justify if he ends up just like Johnny Manziel did.

But the biggest surprise is the Saints trading 2 picks for a player that GB could have easily taken themselves. 

The Packers move down, then up, was shocking to many Packer fans. Some fans were drinking themselves into a wrist-slashing depression, until they traded back up to pick #18.

I did at least mention the seldom-addressed possibility of trading a high pick for one next year (in the likes/dislikes thread), though I put it as a neutral option (good or bad depended on the trade details). On further review this is firmly in my 'good trade' camp.

Other than the Packers, Baker Mayfield at #1 was pretty shocking.

1.  Seattle picking Penny

2. Detroit drafting a Center

Relative Surprise.  Draft position that the  2 Louisville players were drafted.  Going into the draft I thought that Lamar Jackson was going to be the mid first round pick and Jaire Alexander was going to be the late first round pick.  

5 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Agreed. No matter how the QBs turn out, drafting Mayfield is the kind of move that's hard to justify if he ends up just like Johnny Manziel did.

But the biggest surprise is the Saints trading 2 picks for a player that GB could have easily taken themselves. 

He went number one so who cares now but I feel kinda bad she's compared to Johnny. I love them both. Two of my favorite college QBs of all time. Something about him feels off but he's not him outside of a bit of play style. 

I still think it's nuts here started game one as a walk on freaking freshman... Like will that ever happen again in major football

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 12:16 PM, pgwingman said:

Just put it this way Mayfield is the product of Mark Sanchez and Manziel having a kid! That's what I see 

On 4/27/2018 at 10:55 AM, jleisher said:

#1.  Packers picking up a extra 1st rd pick in 2019.

Honestly, this one really surprise me.  We heard time and time again that Ted didn't value future picks very highly, which in a vacuum makes a TON of sense.  A pick now will always be worth more than a pick a year from now.  I think there's very few situation where you'd prefer a pick a year from now, and most GMs probably don't that kind of job security.  But it shows you how much work Gute and company did in the weeks leading up to the draft.  They knew Seattle was going to be desperate to move down, and they knew what kind of package they'd need to get to move down.  By my count, there were 7 draft day trades that involved first round picks.  In 2008, there were 10 for comparison.  I think teams are less willing to move up than in year's past.  I'd have to dig more into that though.

Archived