R1/#28 S Terrell Edmunds

VigilantZombie

First of all I just want to say I'm as surprised, confused, and a bit frustrated as everyone else, but here is my attempt to look at it positively and I'm going to mention an aspect that I have not heard anyone mention, maybe you guys haven't thought about it yet.

Safety Terrell Edmunds 6'1 217lbs.

Flaws: At times will take bad angles on tackles, lacks instincts in coverage (can play the ball poorly at times)

Strengths: Very Fast, Good size, has good hands (when using proper technique), hard hitter, versatile, does well in coverage, specifically man coverage against bigger targets such as TE's.

Alright, so my theory:  He was drafted to play both S and LB to kind of 'replace' Ryan Shazier.   Why is this not bad?  Because one of the best LB Coaches in College Football happens to be the position coach of our Secondary, Tom Bradley.  If there's anyone who can teach him better tackling angles and help him perfect his technique in the secondary, it's this guy.

A couple of you mentioned our inability to cover TE's, well this guy fixes this issue potentially.  His hard hitting ability will also help in the Run Defense as long as he improves his tackling technique.  He can also play ST Coverage right away.  

I don't love this pick, it was done too early, that's my biggest problem with it, but the Player itself does not lack potential.

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

don't love this pick, it was done too early, that's my biggest problem with it, but the Player itself does not lack potential.

If the steers didn't think he would be there in RD2, then they got the player they wanted. All it takes is for one team to steal the player somewhere ahead and thats it. Vrabel got Evans, another example, but he went around where others here and experts though.  The fact the Steelers reached for Edmunds should have us expecting a lot. Lets hope he turns into a game changer and a leader. The team needs more leaders or better leaders, so this could be another reason for the pick.  

As a RD1 pick, it used to be a redshirt rookie season here but in recent time the steelers have let rookies play on D. Now we are expecting the RD1 rookie defender to not only start  but make impact and be a pick from draft board projections etc.  Part of this view is based on the fact we need the help on D as a result of recent draft failures.  If dupree was as good as Woodley was, If Davis was better, if Artie could cover as good as he should, there would be less pressure for the Edmunds pick IMO. The Shazier injury affected the D,  but they never went ILB. As someone pointed out, maybe Edmunds will replace Shazier, interesting view but wait and see. 

Archived