Boy, the decision to ban watching the prospects get their phone calls has really backfired on the NFL.

Iamcanadian

5 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

It has taken most of the immediate emotion out of the draft, the emotion shown by the players and their families when they get that call. 

All for the sake of keeping the pick hidden for another few seconds.

I much preferred seeing the raw emotion when players and their families realized they or their son was the next pick!!! Most of it is lost by the time the player comes on the stage to get his jersey!!! 

There is nothing that can replace instant emotion and the NFL has done away with it???

tenor.gif

Agree with the OP.

I hadn't watched the draft in a couple of years so maybe I missed something but what is up with that stage? When did the draft become another over-produced/sterile event like the rest of the NFL.

Seriously, why does the NFL continue to take the focus off of the human element of the game? Watching it now makes it seem like a conveyer belt of robots. At least showing the players and their families reacting live to being drafted or being passed over gave the event this feeling of human drama and emotion that it now sorely lacks. You are able to connect more to these players by seeing these things unfold in real-time. Most people don't pay attention to the screen in between picks so the replays are often missed.

Seriously, why is it such an issue if a pick is tipped? You don't find it more interesting to learn of the pick from the smiling face of a player while he's on the phone with a team compared to watching Goodell read it? Don't understand that at all.

6 hours ago, khaosoy said:

Agree with the OP.

I hadn't watched the draft in a couple of years so maybe I missed something but what is up with that stage? When did the draft become another over-produced/sterile event like the rest of the NFL.

Seriously, why does the NFL continue to take the focus off of the human element of the game? Watching it now makes it seem like a conveyer belt of robots. At least showing the players and their families reacting live to being drafted or being passed over gave the event this feeling of human drama and emotion that it now sorely lacks. You are able to connect more to these players by seeing these things unfold in real-time. Most people don't pay attention to the screen in between picks so the replays are often missed.

Seriously, why is it such an issue if a pick is tipped? You don't find it more interesting to learn of the pick from the smiling face of a player while he's on the phone with a team compared to watching Goodell read it? Don't understand that at all.

Agreed. Felt like such a dog and pony show this year. However I did like not having the picks spoiled by twitter so idk.

9 minutes ago, Pool said:

Agreed. Felt like such a dog and pony show this year. However I did like not having the picks spoiled by twitter so idk.

See this felt like the solution to me all along.  If you dont like the picks being spoiled stay off of twitter.  Keep the no spoilers rule in the forum, but tv should be able to show those great moments of the phone calls.  It doesnt spoil it for me at all.  I dont understand the difference between learning that way or 3 mins later when the commish announces it.  Its still great drama. 

On 4/27/2018 at 12:34 PM, TankWilliams said:

yup.  Also, I'm not watching the draft for the emotion behind it, though maybe I'm a heartless ****. 

I agree. Only football junkies watch after the 1st round. I could give a damn about Shaquem Griffin, 15 friggin minutes of we are treating him like a fooball players while showing his story over and over. I WANT TO SEE THE PICKS, VIDS AND BIOS. That's it. After the 1st round throw out everyone but Mel and Todd and let them do their thing. Know your audience, idiots

I'm a Pats fan and i have to sit there for hours and friggin BB trade the pick. Now we are finally making a pick and wait what this Griffin crap. nothing on two Pats picks. Nothing on Sam pick and than the CB pick I get a frigging punter show for fat *** Richie I.  They lost me after that the TV went off.

Archived