Jason Witten planning on retiring

49erurtaza

This can only help us because we were never going to take him off the field. But God why does this feel like we are gonna lose the very best of our identity. 

This to me is if it happens is like when Peyton left the Colts. It was the end of an era. 

16 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

This can only help us because we were never going to take him off the field. But God why does this feel like we are gonna lose the very best of our identity. 

This to me is if it happens is like when Peyton left the Colts. It was the end of an era. 

It totally is.  As a non Cowboy, non NFC East fan, he's always been "that guy" when I think of y'all.

6 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Another hall of good candidate.

Enjoy retirement, Witten.

Nah, he's a HOFer for sure. Per Wikipedia...

NFL records and achievements

Most receptions in a single season by a tight end: 110 (2012)

Most receptions in a single game by a tight end: 18 (October 28, 2012)

Second most receptions and receiving yards by a tight end in NFL history (behind Tony Gonzalez)

2012 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award winner [89]

2015 Only the 2nd TE in history to catch 1,000 or more receptions.

4th in receptions in NFL history: 1,152 (as of December 31, 2017)

Most consecutive games played by a tight end: 239 (as of conclusion of 2017 season)

Most consecutive games started by a tight end: 229 (as of conclusion of 2017 season)

Hope he enjoys his retirement, he’s been a great player. HOF worthy IMO. 

The Cowboys might not miss him as a good tight end (the 2017 version, anyway) but they’ll miss his presence in the locker room. He’s always been a consummate pro.

2 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

if he is washed than more than half the league is washed. Guy finds a way to get open while running slower than ur grandma

Witten was near the bottom in the league in terms of YAC and his blocking isn't what it used to be. Great career and a Hofer, but he is done and Dallas isn't going to miss him much from an on field perspective. 

I am going to miss seeing 82 on the sideline.  Been a constant presence there for 15 years and is a great role model for younger players.  While not what he once was, he was still a reliable security blanket for Dak.  My favorite Cowboy for so long.

Romo, Dez, and Witten all gone within the past year.  Truly the end of an era.

Archived